Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Moving up in the world

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving up in the world

ok, i think i am ditchin my d15b. For the past few months it has been the worst thing for me. I just cant get it to run correctly for myself. its just been a living hell with it.

so since i have just looked at what i am getting for my tax return, i think a new motor will be in sight. i have been doing my searchin and reading on who and where to order from. i have been lookin at hmotors for awhile now. i've talked to a few people that have ordered from them. they seem to all say good things about them

i figured a good place to search would be on here. read one topic about them on here and a majority seem to think its one of the better places to buy from. granted, there are a few of ya that didnt get the better service from them.

i was wondering who "steve" is from there. i know if i order a setup from them i wanna talk to him. i am lookin to get a b18b from them. if anyone has any insight, pointers, or anything i just need to know it would be much help.

so i am hopefully movin up to dual cams now. YAY
Old 02-23-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Moving up in the world (98_4door)

congrats. first time you crank your new motor you'll be like this

then you'll STILL want it to be faster
Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are having trouble getting your current engine running, you will likely have trouble if you swap. At the very least, identify what's wrong with your current setup. That way you'll know if you can eliminate the problem with the swap (or maybe some $5 part and save yourself some dough). Otherwise, you'll spend all that money and have the same problem. Now that'd suck.

My advice = fix what you got. Then see what you want to do.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:19 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Moving up in the world (blurrrcivic94)

Since you are in Michigan, give a call to importautosalvage.com as well.

Larry Jr
Old 02-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Electrician

Ahh, I thought moving up as in getting a better car.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ahh, I thought moving up as in getting a better car.</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL that's what i thought when i read the title. Thought the post was about how he's about to ditch his civic.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Moving up in the world (civicminded92)

well the problem that i'm having with the current motor is this: umm where do i start. I am having problems with the idle, new iac. I am having problem with oil leakin to the dizzy, the timing and crank. neither of them will get in "time." oil is leakin from the oil pan. miss fires at 4 grand. and likes to bog out.

well least to say is that started off getting burned my osaka. since that is where the motor can from and i now know never to deal with them again . a local shop has been lookin and tryin to fix the problems and dont know what else they can do. they got this far. i would rather instead of payin them anymore out of my ***, i think it might be smarter to spend my money on a more reliable setup.

with what i am looking to get from hmotors is the complete change over for the b18b. ummmm the only other thing that has me thinkin is, if i get that it says it has the stock mounts. would i have to get a new mount setup for my 98 civic?

keep the replies comin and thanks for all and the future help
Old 02-24-2005, 05:38 AM

Sounds like you had a bad experience with osaka and I'm sorry to hear that. But, the problems that you listed can be fixed rather easily.

First of all, find a buddy that has a known good SOHC VTEC distributer (EX/Si or even the VX will work). Use it to see if you can get your timing set with that distributer. If you can, the original dizzy is either the wrong one, or has some very strange problems. I purchased a remanufactured SOHC VTEC dizzy from Autozone, and I had similar timing issues. Borrowed one, timed it, then took the Autozone one back and told them it was defective. So, you may be able to find a good dizzy in the junkyard for cheap, like $50.

But, since you also mentioned oil in the dizzy you may have the problem that I had with my stock dizzy - the bearing was worn out. This will do all sorts of weird things to timing, cause bogging and idle problems. Mine got to the point it just wouldn't run anymore. So, most of your problems (oil leaking into dizzy, timming, miss-fire, and bogging) could be related to a part that you can buy for like $90 bucks for a remanufactured part:

http://www.autozone.com/servle...dPage

Then, you just need to replace the oil pan gasket and you'd probably be all set. Don't get discouraged because you have some issues with your current engine choice. I'm not saying don't get the B18, I'm just saying fix the D15B FIRST. That way it'll at least be of more value if you decide to sell it to help fund the B18.

Borrowing someone else's dizzy is free - and it'll mean more money in your pocket if you go to sell the SOHC. It's also a good learning/wrenching experience if you do the work yourself - and if you can turn a wrench, you can do these repairs.

My $.02

OH, I almost forgot - don't forget to check your plugwires/cap/rotor also for damage. You will most likely need to replace these also, do this when you get the new dizzy.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Moving up in the world (civicminded92)

http://www.japanstarmotor.com

best price free shipping
Old 03-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Moving up in the world (rb26_gtr)

Great.