Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

moving to SoCal..Help me with bar???

Old 09-21-2004, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: moving to SoCal..Help me with bar??? (ricepatrol1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricepatrol1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey i jus got a jdm b16a swap in my eg. we're going to do custom wiring this sat for my vtec. i was wondering if i have to get head work b4 i go all out on bolt ons. I heard it was bad for my car to get full bolt ons b4 i get headwork</TD></TR></TABLE>

Probably want to post this question in the All Motor forum, there'll be more info. But basically, the info you heard was incorrect. You can do all of the bolt ons, cams, even basic tuning with your VAFC, FPR, and a set of cam gears, and then later on move toward port work.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: moving to SoCal..Help me with bar??? (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

First of all, keep in mind, that the California state referree has a set of guidelines to follow, and it's "supposed" to be the same at all of their stations. But I've heard numerous stories about how one Ref wouldn't do something, but another one up North, would. I'm sharing my experiences with the Ref, which have been quite a few because San Diego police will cite you for any, and everything.

The reason the GSR block, B16 head won't pass at the Ref, and can't be BAR certified, is because that motor combination doesn't exist in a Honda from the factory. Just like LS/VTEC and CR/VTEC, they're "homemade." The motor itself, if in good shape, will pass by the numbers. What that means is, the amount of emissions produced by the Poor mans ITR is no more than a GSR or B16, so theoretically, it's a clean running motor, and wouldn't be a problem if Cali wasn't so strict.
You can try to pass smog at a regular old smog station, and if the attendant doesn't know much about Honda's (which is rare nowadays), he may pass you, and you can register your car, which is great, but it will not be legal, and if you're ever pulled over, there's a good chance your hood will be popped, and guess where the officer is going to send you? Directly to the Ca state referree. So you're back at square one.

Keep in mind, some people squeek by w/out ever having to visit the Ref, others go back over and over for violations.

One more variable. Some people are randomly chosen, when it comes time to smog your car for registration (every other year), to visit a Test Only center. This is not the referee, but it's a smog station with individuals that are watched more closely than the regular smog stations, they don't do repairs to vehicles, they only smog. The chances of passing a non-BAR certified car at a Test Only station are close to zero, they know what they're looking for. Alot of the people that get sent to Test Only stations, are chosen due to past gross polluter violations, or the area they live in may be an "enhanced area."

Hope that helps. I know it's confusing, but that's how California is when it comes to emissions laws.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So then I should ditch the b16 head and find a gsr one right? I guess thats the only way because I am moving.. cali laws sucks

Too bad I am moving there... anyone wants to trade a gsr head for my b16 head?