Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Motor Swap Scares :[ HELP NEEDED ]:

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 07:38 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Swap Scares :[ HELP NEEDED ]:

Hello. Well I'm sure I am not the only person that has experienced issues such as this when purchasing a JDM motor. I'll give you all a quick run down of what went wrong and then I will bust out my plea for help. I'm certain this is a serious issue, so the one with the answer will be saving time and money for a lot of people. Thank you!!!

Ok here goes. I recenty purchased a JDM B16 A2 "out of" a SiR-II. Well at least that is what I was told. The things that concern me are as follows. Story number one: Here we are, swap all complete and full of fluids ready to start. We go turn the key and nothin... What the ****... Finally we discover that the distributor is gutted of all its internals. Thankfully the only difference between that dist and the D series is the housing (mounting bolt positions). So we put in the internals from my D series. She now runs like a champ, except for the MIL throwing a 3. Oh wait, I though I didn't see a MAP sensor anywhere on this motor. Eventually the gentleman that sold me the motor (it was drop shipped by someone else by the way.) got me a MAP sesor and I looked at it all crazy when I first saw it. It looks like a TB mounted MAP. I look at my TB and there is NO hole for the little nipple (thats right I ****** said it). But there was an extra tube for the OBD0 firewall mounted MAP. Oh great an OBD0 throttle body, what else will go wrong. Thankfully that is it so far. The trottle body looks like it has been changed. The TGB is a little more dingy then the intake manifold so I personally don't feel it was actually on the motor. I believe it was change before it was drop shiped to me.

Here is my concern. I want to make sure I wasn't bunked out of a good chunk of change. I know in the front of Genuine Honda Tech manuals it explains what the engine serial number stands for. I was wondering if there is a website, or company that can provide information from this number. Or if all else fails, an availability of JDM Honda Tech manuals (good ****** luck). Anyway I need your help, I have to make sure I wasn't bunked out by someone strapping a hydro trans to an OBD0 motor and selling it as something else. Also, if there is some sense of scamming going on I need to let my guy know so he can let his guy know and eventually it will get to the source of the scamming and hopefully, but mostly likely not, put a stop to it. Your comments, questions, HELP!!! and insults are much appreciated.

Happy Tuning!!! <:[ HONDA ]:>
Old 01-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Swap Scares :[ HELP NEEDED ]: (HondaFanatic414)

i'm on my way out the door right now so i'll just start with a comment....... you should've paid a little more and gotten it from hmotors or ias........ still, you've got to live in the present, right? good luck with your situation.... and a bump for a quick solution....
Old 01-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ok i may not have specific answers to your questions but i dont think theres any way you can trace that motor.

there several things you can do. if im not mistaken you can see markings on the head and know which gen it is. also if you think you got a obd0 i think you would need a conversion harness. check what kind of ECU you got. According to HMO the SiR-II's are supposed to run p30 ECU's.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

Yeah I got a P30, no conversion harness was needed. I could vey well be trippin, but I need to make sure. Now don't get me wrong. The company I made the purchase through is very professional with their dealings. They have this "start up warranty" and have thus far sent me with no additional charges incurred: an OBD1 Distributor (complete, I only needed internals) a knock sensor and now a throttle body. Like I mentioned the TB looks more dingy that the rest of the motor. I probably should have purchased it from a "big name" company. I can't blame the guy that I purchased from since the motor was drop shipped from Canada. Thankefully he is being so great about getting every for me so quickly. The motor is super clean too. I dropped a stage 3 clutch and assco flywheel in there and when we broke the trans off the block there wasn't any metal shavings. We even ran a magnet around the inside and still didn't get dick. SUPER CLEAN... And it whoops the **** out of all the little gay rich kids in the local Milwaukee area.

I'll scan in the page from the USDM Civic manual that details the explination of the engine serial number. There HAS to be a way. I work for Honda but haven't had the time to seriously look in to it.

Again, any further help would be appreciated... :honda:
Old 01-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaFanatic414)

Pics of motor will help. Take pic of your TB and Intake manifold.

Oh and what car is it in? I'm assuming 92-95 Civic obd1? They gave you the right ECU (SIR-II) alrite.

Does the intake manifold look like this?

or like

Modified by biassj at 11:43 PM 1/29/2004

Modified by biassj at 11:43 PM 1/29/2004

Modified by biassj at 11:45 PM 1/29/2004

Modified by biassj at 11:45 PM 1/29/2004
Old 01-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (biassj)

Plugs for injectors are also diffrent from OBD-0 to OBD-1. Though thats easy to change too.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:45 PM

Yeah thats how she looks, I will take a pic tomorrow morning (have to rebuild drive axels and re-wire the MAP sensor). The TB even looks the same with the second tube for the firewall mounted MAP. From my research this is an OBD0 thing. Do JDM motors have this as well. I'm confused since my motor guy sent me the TB mounted style MAP... Look forward to the pic tomorrow...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda map sensors are on TB... I'm not obd0 guy but I remember seeing them as well.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:48 PM

Biassj,
Oh yeah, your right with your assumptions. It is in an EG EX Coupe. Looking at the pic a little closer I do notice something, my throttle cable is hooked up and I have filtration for my intake air. That could be why my **** is SOOOOOOOOO fast, lol. Have a good night guys...
Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biassj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Plugs for injectors are also diffrent from OBD-0 to OBD-1. Though thats easy to change too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did all the engine harness mods myself and didn't notice any damage or evidence of tampering in this are or others.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic414 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Biassj,
Oh yeah, your right with your assumptions. It is in an EG EX Coupe. Looking at the pic a little closer I do notice something, my throttle cable is hooked up and I have filtration for my intake air. That could be why my **** is SOOOOOOOOO fast, lol. Have a good night guys...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should add OBX oil cap for stronger VTECH.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaFanatic414 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I did all the engine harness mods myself and didn't notice any damage or evidence of tampering in this are or others. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely it's a SIR-II, does the valve have a small dohc and a large VTEC??
Though this can be changed too.

GRR, stupid JDM motors has no numbers afterwards.

example:

USDM B16A2, B16A3
JDM B16a, B16A, B16a
Old 01-29-2004, 09:22 PM
official honda whore

just check on the head above the cylinders in little circles and it will tell you what year the head/engine is from
Old 01-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (coptzer)

Does anybody know how to decode the casting numbers from those circles. All I can get from mine is that it's a B16A from way back in 89?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:30 PM

Default Re: (spnfed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And it whoops the **** out of all the little gay rich kids in the local Milwaukee area.</TD></TR></TABLE>

YA AND THIS MOTOR IS GOING TO LAST LONG.......... EVER HEARD OF A BREAK IN PERIOD?????
Old 01-31-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (spencedogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spencedogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

YA AND THIS MOTOR IS GOING TO LAST LONG.......... EVER HEARD OF A BREAK IN PERIOD?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

As a matter of fact I have. Since I am a Honda Salesman I am very big on break in periods. Since I put a new clutch in the motor, I didn't even take her over 4 thou for the first 1,200 miles. Didn't your mother ever tell your flamin *** "If you don't have anything constructive to say, don't say anything at all!" Get the **** off this forum, it's dumb little bitches like you that **** me off. What do you drive, a EK hatch with some really kewl vinyl stickers and a bumpin system? Don't call someone out like a fool when you don't know them, grow up little one. Now if I said "yeah this sux, i just did a motor swap and when i revved it to 10 grand she brew up, WTF someone help me" Then you would have every right. Until then, **** off. Go back to your "dogg" house bro, you don't belong in the garage... HE TOLD YOU!!!@