Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor swap - replace oil pump or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor swap - replace oil pump or not?

So the vehicle is a 1993 Civic EX w/ D16Z6 engine. This is my first honda, so just getting familiar with them. I just got a JDM D15B engine from HMO, and I'm replacing the components that should typically be replaced, prior to dropping it in. (My goal here is to simply keep stock-like performance)

So far - here's what I'm doing.

Timing Belt
Timing Belt Tensioner
Water Pump
Front Main Seal
Cam Seal
Rear Main Seal
Clutch Kit
Motor Mounts (toast)
Plugs, rotor, cap

I have not been able to find a lot of info on the oil pump in terms of failure rates, and/or problems or known issues. It would stand to reason that since I'll be tearing everything on that side off, might as well replace the oil pump too. That said, is it a common fail part in these rigs? What is typical mileage before they should be swapped?

Any info appreciated.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: motor swap - replace oil pump or not?

I wouldn't replace it, those motors average 35000 miles. Not sure what the failure rate on them are, but I have had 5 engines from H-motors and never oil pumped any of them, I ran my b16 for 100,000 miles that I bought from them with doing nothing to it but oil changes. I hope this helps in your decision making process.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That is good feedback - thanks. I'm hoping for the same longevity out of my JDM engine. Probably overkill that I'm replacing these seals, etc. but one never knows... and I don't want to do it again for a long time...
Old 03-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

better safe than sorry, if you can afford it, why not? i'm doing something simular to this right now myself. And I just find it hard to beleive that motors as old as these only have on average 35k but then again i'm a glass is half empty kind of guy when it comes to car parts.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry I have to ask, I know there are differences between the two motors but considering that you already have a Z6 in your car, why are you swapping if you only want stock like performance?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
Sorry I have to ask, I know there are differences between the two motors but considering that you already have a Z6 in your car, why are you swapping if you only want stock like performance?
Z6 blew a rod... I suspect the oil pump might have failed... ironically

But I don't know for sure - I bought it cheap - just needed a new motor, otherwise great condition.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd change it if you can afford it. If you're already going to great lengths as to changing a lot of the seals, whats a measly oil pump replacement?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RCurioso88
whats a measly oil pump replacement?
About $120 or so. Why not replace the crankshaft too. And the camshaft, and while you're at it the mains, rod bearings, rings, pistons.... why not just buy a brand new engine, and a transmission, or how about you just go into the dealership tomorrow and buy a brand new car, i mean, better safe than sorry.

The only way to know for sure is to inpsect it according to the procedure in the manual. If it's in spec, use it, if not replace it.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

again, if he's going to great lengths and if he can [B]afford[B] it, then go for it. I didn't tell him to go rebuild the motor. Besides, i'd rather pay $120 now than have it mess up later and cost me a motor. But thats just me. Better safe than sorry
Old 03-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RCurioso88
again, if he's going to great lengths and if he can [B]afford[B] it, then go for it. I didn't tell him to go rebuild the motor. Besides, i'd rather pay $120 now than have it mess up later and cost me a motor. But thats just me. Better safe than sorry
The manual does have a way to check spec on the existing oil pump... so I'll go ahead and do that procedure... but I'm with you - were there no way to check this, I'd be inclined to just replace it for $120 or so, because it's all right there, and I'll have the engine out anyway.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah, i'd check it to see if its still good. I'm just a little iffy since its an older engine and you're not sure exactly what's happened to it or whats been done to it
Old 03-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's a simple geroter style pump. It's like 2 parts, and it's constantly lubricated. Take it off, check the clearances. Spend the money on new front and rear main seals, water pump, timing belt and tensioner instead. Oh, and clean the throttle body and intake manifold. Japanese gas is nasty!
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Information Leafblower

Are B and D series oil pumps the same? I have a used OBD1 oil pump from a 1995 GSR if you're worried about yours going out or want a backup. If it fits your engine you can have it, just PayPal me like 7 bucks for shipping. I can't see it being more than that.

PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thumper64
Oh, and clean the throttle body and intake manifold. Japanese gas is nasty!
Good suggestion - will do.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bluebomber
Are B and D series oil pumps the same? I have a used OBD1 oil pump from a 1995 GSR if you're worried about yours going out or want a backup. If it fits your engine you can have it, just PayPal me like 7 bucks for shipping. I can't see it being more than that.

PM me if you're interested.
I really appreciate it... though if this one's in spec - I'll just stick with it. hopefully I'll tear it apart this coming weekend. Maybe I'll post some pics on here of how she looks and specs out...