Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Motor swap reliability? In general.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap reliability? In general.

I'm going to have to toss my GTI aside because insurance is costing me a fortune atm, only two speeding tickets and I've been a pretty good driver since the last ticket.

I'm looking for something cheaper on money, a Honda hatch, I've always wanted one, but yet there so hard to find in my area. Especially one thats a 5 speed. I'm looking for a EK, most I find that look clean have motor swaps, I'd say the ratio is 50:50 between stock and modified honda hatches that are up for sale on sites as autotrader.com cars.com and craigslist.org.

If I cant find a simple stock civic (which would be a good starting point) what do you guys think of buying a car, not much done to it in all aspects but engine...what do you think is the reliability from another owner putting a bigger engine it? besides that they more than likely dogged it out quite a bit if they wanted to put a bigger motor and in general swapping motors in an out, If I find a hatch with a LS motor in it, will it be as reliable as the same engine in a LS teg?

I'm just wondering if its even worth bothering to look at cars with engine swaps...I just want one thats clean so I can do my own **** to it.

Any comments opinions?
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor swap reliability? In general. (crazycaucazian86)

It always makes me nervous when previous owners modify your car.
Pretty good indication that they raced it, or at least attempted to race it.

Swapping an LS (or whatever) is a pretty basic concept though. It's the tough swaps you should worry about (K's, H's, obd conversions, boosted cars).

It really depends car to car, person to person.
If the owner is an idiot that obviously doesn't have car knowledge… but proudly announced he did all the work on his car.. Probably a bad idea.
But if the owner knows what's up, seriously cares for his car, and offers knowledge or help… I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor swap reliability? In general. (crazycaucazian86)

I have both bought cars with swaps and put swaps in cars. There are alot of things you need to know. Will the car just pass damn inspection. So many people do OBD1 conversions in OBD2 cars and it works well but if you cant get it inspected forget about it. Second compression test the thing and check for all visible damage. Anyone who says they did a swap for more power and did not beat it is a liar. Make sure reptuable people did the swap and the wiring. All in all some people do really clean work when they do swaps but alot of people do **** work also. It all falls on you to make sure you know what your buying.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:29 AM

Default Re: Motor swap reliability? In general. (gunmetalej)

NoVa loses another dubber

*wipes tear
Old 10-18-2005, 09:39 AM

oh im still a dubber at heart, when i get more cash and my insurance goes down u bet ull find me at the vw dealership buying another dub.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:52 AM

I'd suggest that you just find a hatch without an engine swap...it'll be cheaper and you dont have to worry about anyone else's headache.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd suggest do it yourself and stick with the same OBD year motor. Don't be so concerned with the whole JDM thing. Get what you can afford and do it right the first time rather then cutting corners. Myself and a friend did my swap over a year ago and it's like my car came with the motor!