Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Motor swap general help!?ENGINE REMOVAL?

Old 04-23-2010, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor swap general help!?ENGINE REMOVAL?

Swapping a d16z6 vtec motor into my 93 eg after throwing a rod threw the block of my jdm d16a. New to this and never done a swap before. If any1 can point me towards a good engine removal write up with pictures/details it would be very helpful and appreciated! THANX
Old 04-23-2010, 10:33 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Motor swap general help!?ENGINE REMOVAL?

check the faq there may be somthing in there.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't find much except that it seems it will be much easier to go from the bottom and i may have to reconsider using this cherrypicker i borrowed lol.

Since i would like to do the whole thing as much the right way as possible i think i just need to see a really good write up i am just having trouble finding 1 someone please help!

I already pulled the head and engine wiring harness(i'm replacing the whole wire harness too) pulled the radiator and disconnected all lines fuel lines vaccum lines ect. the only things still connected are my motor mounts axles clutch cable and i believe my shift linkage. Any advice or help of any kind from this point would be greatly appreciated becuase this is kind of where i am STUCK!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:27 AM
Master Detailer

why did you pull the head off? Well how we did it was get several jacks lower, put something under the car a tire or just on the pan, unbolt and jack the car all the way up and pull it out.

We have also used a cherry picker to go from top, and used it in another way. We used a toe strap fromt he cherrypicker to the core support, lowerd it all the way down unbolted, and picked up.

You can do it either way, but useing a cherry picker to go from top i feel is easier.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i pulled the head kuz the entire old motor was trash to me when a rod went completely through the block and i was kinda bored too wanted to take a look...also was able to sell a few parts i didnt need.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can some1 point me towards a thread with a detailed swap how too or something that will in detail show me how to remove the shift linkage and the axles properly?!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Master Detailer

ah, i understand, shift linkage is esay but a bitch, thats because of the 8mm "bitch pin". it holds the linkage in the tranny, it's pretty simple to get it out, but not so simple somtimes... Take your punch and hammer and beat the living **** of out it. it's good to have some anger going into it. You can use 8mm or 1/4 inch punch.

Axles- are easy as well. pop the axle nut off,(32mm) to do this get your self a impact and a big *** braker bar, and go to town on it.
Once thats done, take the shork fork off, i 14mm bolt, hold shock in fork, located on towards top of the fork. next grab a 17mm wrench and socket and take the thre bolt out, may need a hammer a screw driver to get all the way out.
Next, take the 17mm castle nut off the ball joint, pop the ball joint out.
next tap on the end of the axle a bit, not to hard, then grab the knuckle and pull the axle out, i like to leave the knucke turned all the way towards the car, for more room.
Next i normally use a big flat head, or pickle fork and lightly force between axle and tranny and wiggle a little, then grab end of axle and you should be able to pull it right out. (DONT PULL ON THE SHAFT IT SELF!.) Now you can remove axle from the car.
Tranny fuild will come out, its normall, dont worry about it.
Old 04-23-2010, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you i have a general idea of what i need to do no impact wrench will probly use a big socket wrench with a long extender and a jack like i did for the crank pulley(using my old one)

Pictures would help me a lot too because im not too sure on a few things

Also is there anything i would need to knw when reassembling the axles like any grease or anything anything maybe need to be replaced i knw i have to replace the washer on the tranny drain but is there anything else i would want to replace?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Master Detailer

Sorry no pics, what arent you sure about?

no greese, id train the tranny and re-fill, replace axle nut, you normally are not supposed to re use them.