Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor smoking

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor smoking

I have a friend with a 92 hatchback with a GSR swap in the car. The motor runs great other than smokin profusely when he is at higher rpms. We were told it may be that the rings are going bad so we ran a compression test which came back perfect. Then we hear it may be the valve seals going bad allowing oil to leak down and get burnt in the combustion chamber. Well we took it to a shop the shop took the motor apart sent the head off to have the valve seals fixed in it. Upon recieving his car my friend took it for a drive....still smokes. its been around 3 weeks since the car was finished and it is still smoking. When going down the road in 5th gear if he hits the gas the car will shoot a small puff out the exhaust. Like I said this problem is most noticable at higher rpms. It is very hard to see any smoke while just cruising and driving normal. We have no idea what else to check. Any help would be much appreciated thanks a bunch.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor smoking (ICUinMYrearview)

does it smoke during WOT? but not at normal driving condition?

If it was your valve stem seals then it would only smoke when you turn it on.

it sounds like your rings.. look at your pistons and check to see if you see the tops clean around the outer edge.

also a compression check wont do much since if it was leaking the oil would help the compression by sealing the rings.

and how much oil does it consume?
Old 03-30-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: motor smoking (BatuKing)

when they had the head off and sent it off to edge brothers...it looked as if the outter parts of the pistons were pretty clean to me. It isnt smoking as bad as it was before replacing the valve seals. The car doesnt have to be in full throttle for it to smoke. normal driving if ur looking very close u can see some smoke but the higher the rpms the bigger the cloud. full throttle its ungodly how much smoke is spewed out of the exhaust.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:22 PM

What color smoke is it? Are you sure you are getting a good head gasket seal? You DID use a new head gasket each time you put it back on didn't you? Did you reuse the stock head bolts? I would copper spray the gasket on both sides get new head bolts or head studs and a new gasket and try it again. The block might not be level or the head isn't level as well.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: motor smoking (King Tut33)

they did use a new head gasket but as far as studs and other things I am not sure. The smoke at first was a real thick black smoke....now its more of a greyish black smoke but is still very dark. I dont know whats up with it. I was driving behind him today and he told me to see how bad it was smoking and he gunned it so I could see it and know what to post on here. It was bad
Old 03-30-2004, 06:33 PM

If it is blackish smoke then it sounds like you are running rich. Have you checked the plugs? Do you have a CEL? What kind of fuel setup are you running?
Old 03-30-2004, 06:38 PM

Default Re: motor smoking (King Tut33)

we pulled the plugs and it showed that the motor was running lean from what we saw at rockingham. The whole thing is drivin us nuts man. We are running outta ideas here and really dont wanna tear the motor apart until we know somethin for sure due to $$$$. If it is the rings then he is probably going to go ahead and buy some higher compression pistons and put them in there instead of the old stock ones.
Old 03-30-2004, 07:21 PM

yo i have the same problem with my d16z6 in a 92 civic si hatch...only something is leaking and hitting my down pipe and when it gets hot it burns....my engine doesnt over heat and the oil stays fine i have collant in it and everything so i dont know...its been happedning to me for like a month and everything is ok...but GSR is expensive all i do if you dont know what it is just stay on top of your motor...thats all i can recommend you!
Old 03-30-2004, 10:49 PM

This is happening to me totally. I have Black **** all over the rear of my bumper. Grayish smoke all teh time. (N) previous owner is a jack ***. I cannot belive what I have to clean up. but most likley just like you I will probably have to replace rings. I have a set amount of budget and I am trying to get A/C wheels and try to get a rebuild kit to rebuild it. I am jsut afraid I will have to do more to the block and my budget is only 1 g. but you can get a tpline rebuild kit for about 5. hopefuly i can gt my rims/tires for about 2ish (looking for HX/Del SoL/GSR) And My A/c for 500. so that would be about 1g. I just need to find deals and ****** them.

Good Luck but most likely you will have to replace rings
Old 03-31-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: motor smoking (B18C1 '96 Coupe)

yea I will let him know what yall have said....thanks alot. its not my car my car has a swap about ready to go into it....hope I dont have any major problems with mine *crosses fingers*