Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor mount question

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default motor mount question

before u all breach, i did a quick search, but only have a 15 mins break so sorry if i couldnt find it...

i took the motor out of my 93 hatch and everything came ou fine, i them was taking the mounts off the frame for the left front and right front (where the AC bracket attached and the drivers side 1 i coudlnt get off and both bolts parted off . i was wonder what i can do to fix this? my step dad which is a mechanic said he could drill 2 holes and then when we put the mount back on we could put 2 nuts on the inside of the frame rail on teh drivers side and bolt it down like that. i was wondering if this would weaken the frame a lot by drilling those 2 holes there big enough to get the nuts into....

it is the left front rubber mount and the 2 bolts that it bolts to the frame in the pic on this link
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1110083

please help as the b16 swap will be going in this weekend hopefully after i fix this...

TIA
Old 04-13-2005, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: motor mount question (CRXified)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRXified &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">before u all breach, i did a quick search, but only have a 15 mins break so sorry if i couldnt find it...

i took the motor out of my 93 hatch and everything came ou fine, i them was taking the mounts off the frame for the left front and right front (where the AC bracket attached and the drivers side 1 i coudlnt get off and both bolts parted off . i was wonder what i can do to fix this? my step dad which is a mechanic said he could drill 2 holes and then when we put the mount back on we could put 2 nuts on the inside of the frame rail on teh drivers side and bolt it down like that. i was wondering if this would weaken the frame a lot by drilling those 2 holes there big enough to get the nuts into....

it is the left front rubber mount and the 2 bolts that it bolts to the frame in the pic on this link
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1110083

please help as the b16 swap will be going in this weekend hopefully after i fix this...

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean by bolts part off? you mean the bolts break off? if it is then soak it with pb blaster and just try to use ezout.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor mount question (2lua)

yeah well 1 of the bolts broke off flush and we are going to drill that 1 out, the other, well its a little different. u know how there is a nut welded to the inside of the frame rail and the bolts threads into that? well the welded nut broker free and we had to cut that bolt off cause it was just spinning in place...

maybe that will help i circled where the problem mount is and the 2 bolts that are broke..
Old 04-13-2005, 10:59 AM

well are you gona use ac? if not then you should look into the harsport mount or any mount that using the poly insert. those mount can be use by itself without torque mount, but if your step dad can do it the go for it. i don't see it would weaken the frame by just drill the hole a bit larger. imo
Old 04-13-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

question: are you saying the bolts welded inside the frame broke, or something else? That happened to me, same spot, one of the bolts welded on the inside broke free, I had to grind a hole in the frame so I could get a wrench in there to hold it down while i loosened/tighened it. Later on i'll probably get around to welding it in there now that I have a welder.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2lua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well are you gona use ac? if not then you should look into the harsport mount or any mount that using the poly insert. those mount can be use by itself without torque mount, but if your step dad can do it the go for it. i don't see it would weaken the frame by just drill the hole a bit larger. imo</TD></TR></TABLE>

no ac for me, i was thinking of a mount kit but right now im low on cash (how many times have u heard that )

so what ur saying is thats just a torque mount? and if i had a mount kit i wouldnt really need that mount?

what were were thinking of doing was drilling on the engine side of the frame rail right where the welded on nut would be and making the drilled hole big enough to put a nut in there so we can put a new bolt through the mount and thread it into the nut we put in the hole...

dont know if that makes sence or not
Old 04-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor mount question (s1ngle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s1ngle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">question: are you saying the bolts welded inside the frame broke, or something else? That happened to me, same spot, one of the bolts welded on the inside broke free, I had to grind a hole in the frame so I could get a wrench in there to hold it down while i loosened/tighened it. Later on i'll probably get around to welding it in there now that I have a welder.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thast what happened to me too, and i was thinking of doing the same thing u did except weld a nut in there and then i can bolt the mount fast to the nut i welded in the hole. i was wondering if it would effect the frame or anything like that?
Old 04-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my hole is very small, i can show you a pic if you want. I highly doubt it'd affect anything structural. If youre really concerned, after you finish your work in there, weld a small piece of metal over the hole you cut.
Old 04-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah id like to see a pic for sure. ill have to cut 2 small holes, 1 for each of the nuts. send me a pic please if u can or post it up. i would appreciate it.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for any other suggestions/help?
Old 04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by s1ngle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my hole is very small, i can show you a pic if you want. I highly doubt it'd affect anything structural. If youre really concerned, after you finish your work in there, weld a small piece of metal over the hole you cut.</TD></TR></TABLE>

still like to see that pic