Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor mount install writeup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor mount install writeup?

anyone know where i can find a writeup for installing new motor mounts? I have done it once im just wondering if there is an easier way to get the rear mount out and in.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor mount install writeup?

id jack the car up. pull the t bracket replace that mount install the t bracket. support the trans wit a jack unbolt the trans mount lower the engine down if needed replace that mount. support the engine under the oil pan make sure to put a piece of wood on the jack unbolt the timing belt side mount and lower the engine replece mount
Old 03-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

by removing the rear mount with the other two mounts in will the motor move enough to remove it? btw i am replacing all three with innovatives.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with out a lift it is easy to change if you remove the intake manifold if your willing to do that and are able to do it quik its worth it other wise there are other ways and obviously do one mount at a time
Old 03-14-2010, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I installed my LS I put in stiff mounts. Roughly 2 years later I was really tired of all the increased noise and vibrations of the mounts. So I put stock mounts in it. The Driver and passenger side top mounts are easy and quick.

The rear mount is more tricky but I was able to do it and leave the intake manifold in place. Leave both top mounts hooked up as normal so that the engine is in its normal position sitting in the engine bay.

I loosened the top bolt that goes to the T Bracket, got under the car and loosened the other ones, You can then pivot the T Bracket up enough to get the front bolt for the mount loose and out with a 14mm wrench, its aggravating but I did it, then get the rear two bolts for the mount out and pivot the T Bracket mount sideways towards the bottom, the Bracket won't come all the way out but enough that you can slide the actual mount past it and out and slide a new one in. The most aggravating part is keeping the T bracket pivoted up so you can get the front 14mm bolt out of the mount.

But if I would have removed the intake manifold I would have delt with that aggravation there so I just left the IM and did it that way. Any way you go about replacing this mount will be aggravating and take some time.

-Drop the engine out to replace it, some aggravation and time.
-Remove the intake manifold to make getting the mount in and out will be some aggravation and time.
-Leaving the IM in and doing it like I did, aggravation and time.

I hate removing the Intake Manifold and I didn't want to spend 12 bucks on a new gasket.

Once you slide the new mount into place the hardest part is getting the bolts started, the back two aren't bad, the front one is a pain there again since your dealing with the T Bracket in your way. Once you get it done, give yourself a pat on the back and crack open a cold one.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
When I installed my LS I put in stiff mounts. Roughly 2 years later I was really tired of all the increased noise and vibrations of the mounts. So I put stock mounts in it. The Driver and passenger side top mounts are easy and quick.

The rear mount is more tricky but I was able to do it and leave the intake manifold in place. Leave both top mounts hooked up as normal so that the engine is in its normal position sitting in the engine bay.

I loosened the top bolt that goes to the T Bracket, got under the car and loosened the other ones, You can then pivot the T Bracket up enough to get the front bolt for the mount loose and out with a 14mm wrench, its aggravating but I did it, then get the rear two bolts for the mount out and pivot the T Bracket mount sideways towards the bottom, the Bracket won't come all the way out but enough that you can slide the actual mount past it and out and slide a new one in. The most aggravating part is keeping the T bracket pivoted up so you can get the front 14mm bolt out of the mount.

But if I would have removed the intake manifold I would have delt with that aggravation there so I just left the IM and did it that way. Any way you go about replacing this mount will be aggravating and take some time.

-Drop the engine out to replace it, some aggravation and time.
-Remove the intake manifold to make getting the mount in and out will be some aggravation and time.
-Leaving the IM in and doing it like I did, aggravation and time.

I hate removing the Intake Manifold and I didn't want to spend 12 bucks on a new gasket.

Once you slide the new mount into place the hardest part is getting the bolts started, the back two aren't bad, the front one is a pain there again since your dealing with the T Bracket in your way. Once you get it done, give yourself a pat on the back and crack open a cold one.

Alright, thank you for the reply, im not taking the intake manifold off, i will try the other way.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luke G.
Alright, thank you for the reply, im not taking the intake manifold off, i will try the other way.
No problem man, hope it works out for you. It is aggravating but if you just hang in there you will get it done. You will have to figure out a way to lay so that you can get your arms in there.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think i lifted the whole car up with a engine lift last time