Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car

Alright I bought my EG about a month ago and it had a B18C already swapped in it just wasnt running. Anyways it runs awsome right now but the dude that I bought the car from didnt install the aftermarket mounts that he bought for it?? I dont know why but all the mounts other than the drivers side mount is stock. Well I have the aftermarket mounts and want to install them but not sure on these cars how hard it is to change out the mounts with the engine in.

Is this a pain in the *** or what? I did a search on this and found a little info but it was more for Integra's. I want to try this but would like to hear some stories of this. Or maybe someone could post up a link that I may have missed or something. Any info on this would be awsome.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car (ringgold)

most of the mounts are easy cept the rear tranny mount that one is a total bitch and sucks big time to mess with lol
Old 10-14-2004, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car (hayabusa160)

So is it a pain aligning it or just the removal or what? Im gonna try to tackle this job here soon probably
Old 10-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car (ringgold)

AIght some others chime in with their horror stories of this job I know yall got some!!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 09:24 PM

the lower two and upper two are really easy. if you can't figure that out then you probably can't type.

but the rear one is a little tricky but still an easy job if you have the tools:
18" 1/2" drive breaker bar
1/2" drive ratchet
14mm, 17mm, 19mm 1/2" sockets
18", 12", 6" 1/2" drive extensions
good 1/2" drive torque wrench
helms manual

get the car up on jackstands, and support the engine w/ a jack and block of wood. first there's a 19mm bolt holding the tranny to the T bracket - very easy to get to from the passenger's side. then, under the car there are 2 19mm bolts holding the T bracket to the tranny. use an extension to get these out. (the head of the bolts face the drivers side)

next use the breaker bar w/ big extension & 17mm socket to get the bolt going through the T bracket & rear mount out. getting to it is the hardest part, the intake manifold is rather in the way; you'll have to take the vaccum hose from the brake booster off, and just be paitent as you get about 1/16th of a turn everytime. crouching on the valve cover helps.

finally, use the big extension and get the 3 14mm bolts holding the mount to the subrame out. this is easy, you should be able to get to all three as they're just straight down with nothing in the way.

now some people say this part (switching the mounts) is really tricky, but it was amazingly easy for me. take the T bracket and turn the front side of it toward the driver's side of the car, until you can slide the rear mount out of it. it will take some wiggling, but be patient. then just slide the new mount in, turn it back, torque everything to spec, and don't forget put that vaccum hose back.

just make sure you torque everything to spec and in the proper sequence as per your helms manual.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car (jwn7)

I work on airplanes and alot of times it seems that they built the airplane around vertain parts. In other words aircraft werent built with maintenance in mind. So Im used to working with little to no room on certain things.

I have most of those tools with the exception fo a few. I think that I should be able to handle this but I do often get pretty mad at stuff when working on my cars haha but I always get it done.

Anyways man I really appreciate that post and Im sure it will come in handy!! Thanks
Old 10-15-2004, 05:40 AM

Default Re: Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car (hayabusa160)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hayabusa160 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">most of the mounts are easy cept the rear tranny mount that one is a total bitch and sucks big time to mess with lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

FCK YEA!
Old 10-15-2004, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor Mount install with a swapped EG and with the motor in the car (JinDIESEL)

you better have slim arms to do the rear mount, you have to unbolt the rear mount bracket, then unbolt the rear mount and cleverly twist and turn the mount until you somehow get it out, i found that if you loosen the front mounts and jack the engine up as far as it will to it eases the pain. I did this with no jack stands and a few hand tools, mainly 3/8 drive ratchet and 14mm sockets and 17mm sockets, 6 inch extension, a breaker bar(to torque everyting back into place) and a 14 mm ratchet wrench(this was my best friend). other thant that a floor jack with a 2X6 to raise the engine via the oil pan. However you will need jack stands to change passenger side mount.