Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension??

Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension??

The car is a 93 Si hatch, the motor is a B20B. Ok, so which set should I go with. The motor is out right now, so I figure if I am ever going to do this mod, now would obviously be the time. I've heard that the Prothane kit is wayyyy stiffer than the Energy Suspension inserts. Is this true? Anyone rolling the eg chassis with a B series find either kit to be too stiff or what-not? The car is daily driven, so I'm a little worried that the Prothane setup will be too stiff for me (although I have been told that it will only cause irritating vibrations in the steering wheel at idle... is this correct?). The Prothane setup comes with more pieces then the ES motor mount insert kit, which pieces did ES leave out that Prothane decided to replace in addition? Any/all input would is appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (PinoyShadow)

get the jimfab mounts.they are 100 ship i think for the rear and two mounts under the frame..

these are not insert.these are full replacement mounts.

yes ur dash/interor will rattle. but who cares

http://jimfab.com/

Old 11-07-2003, 11:38 PM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (PinoyShadow)

I run Place Racing TQ mounts and ES inserts for the other 3. Feels the same as my friends set-up running the Prothane's and PR's. Can't go wrong on either.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (TEAM JSJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TEAM JSJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get the jimfab mounts.they are 100 ship i think for the rear and two mounts under the frame..

these are not insert.these are full replacement mounts.

yes ur dash/interor will rattle. but who cares

http://jimfab.com/

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, I actually do care. The car is daily driven, so I am trying to find something that will be functional, yet won't irritate the hell out of me on my daily driver. Thats the only reason that I haven't really considered going with full replacement mounts.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (Mr Milano)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr Milano &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I run Place Racing TQ mounts and ES inserts for the other 3. Feels the same as my friends set-up running the Prothane's and PR's. Can't go wrong on either.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, so your running Place Racing motor mounts (not inserts, mounts correct?) and the 3 Energy Suspension inserts that come with there kit. Your friend is running the Prothane motor mount inserts and the Place Racing mounts as well??

I was looking at the picture of the Prothane kit for 92-95 Civic and 94-2001 Integra's on their site, and it shows more than 3 pieces. Can anyone elaborate further please? What is it coming with that Energy Suspension is leaving out? The ES kit comes with 3 inserts, what is Prothane including in addition to that that they aren't? And is it true that the Prothane kit comes with inserts for the main passenger and driver-side mounts?

Thanks for the input people. My motor is going back in next weekend, so I'm trying to figure which kit to go with so that everything can be ready for the motor to be dropped in. Thanks again.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 11-08-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 11-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

First thing I'd do is make sure the stock mounts don't need replacement... If they do (which they probobly do)...

I'd get the mugen mounts... they're the stiffest RUBBER mount that can be made... they are NOT solid mounts like the other replacement mounts... I'd imagine they'd be as hard if not softer than stock one's with inserts...

I have ES inserts and they helped out a bit but really not that much and the vibration isn't that bad either though... WHEN my car idles properly there's almost NO vibration what so ever... if it's running rough or the car jidders... it's UNREAL bad... the whole dash hops up and down like my wheels used to.

the only downside of the mugen's is the cost... they're like 400 bucks or something... but it's ALL 5 mounts metal and rubber which NO OTHER COMPANY offers.

I'm not sure on the prothane kit...

I just looked them up and they picture what looks to be 6 pieces... which is the SAME as the ES kit... there are 2 sides of each mount... they sandwich the stock mount.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (NonovUrbizniz)

yeah, i was considering the mugens too. i need good mounts, but i dont want a loud rattle at idle.

does anyone have the mugens? whatcha think? worth it?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (jwn7)

get the prothane inserts. the energy ones are really soft
Old 11-08-2003, 05:17 PM
a/k/a Jomo

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (MrMike)

Ok here's the deal. The Energy Suspension and the Prothane are made out of THE EXACT SAME DUROMETER POLY. I.E. They are identical for the most part. So don't give me any of that ****. Just buy whatever's available.

Second both the Energy Suspension and the Prothane for my 99-00 Si have 3 inserts becaue my tranny mount and timing belt side are TQ mounts, one of which is liquid filled. You can not use inerts in these two. BUT Place Racing makes replacement solid TQ mounts here. Which is what I bought. The ES kit is like $30 but the Place Racing moutns are like $100 a piece. BUT WOW what a differnce over just the stock TQ mounts and ES inserts.

The biggest fault on the 99-00 Si is the liquid filled timing belt mount. IT breaks instantly and is worthless.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:41 PM

I rock factory mounts on the trans and in the rear of my del sol with a prothane insert on the drivers side mount. It was hard to install (difficult to the the old rubber and retaining rings out) but works really well and doesnt cause my dash to shake violently.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use the Energy Suspension inserts and love them.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok everyone, thanks for the input. I'm still up in the air with what to go with. Cost IS an issue, which is why I was thinking of going with the ES inserts, but then I saw that the Prothane kit comes with more pieces, which confuses me. The ES kit comes with 3 pieces, so what is the Prothane kit including that the ES kit does not???
Old 11-08-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

prothane kit, it actually replaces all the rubber in the side motor mount (by the cams)

and the urethane is much stiffer.

more expensive but much better
Old 11-08-2003, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension?? (Bumnah)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bumnah &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">prothane kit, it actually replaces all the rubber in the side motor mount (by the cams)

and the urethane is much stiffer.

more expensive but much better </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you using the Prothane kit? If so, did you find it to be too jarring at idle?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

re-read my above post...

I just looked them up and they picture what looks to be 6 pieces... which is the SAME as the ES kit... there are 2 sides of each mount... they sandwich the stock mount."

Both kits cover the same 3 mounts... which takes 6 pieces of poly.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:17 AM

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SickBastard)

right now i just have the rear prothane mount inserts and causes vibations and idle and low throttle. other than that i love it. later on ill get theother inserts. i would never get the full solid mounts thats way too stiff for my taste.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (nextelbuddy)

Would anyone know what a type r driver side mount is....is it like the 99-00 si mounts....cause the R mounts look beefier.....any one have any input in this?
Old 11-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ultimatehonda)

same as 94-2001 integra mounts. the style at least. i am nmot sure of the filling but i had them and they felt the same as gsr mounts so i think they ar the same.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ultimatehonda)

this is a integra drivers side mount , btw its for sale
Old 11-10-2003, 08:58 PM

Well i have the prothane rear insert and tranny insert and the Hasport drivers side drag mount. I think the prothane is really good and really stif i actually tried just changing one mount and putting one insert at a time and each one makes a difference besides the front two lower mounts. They are more like stabilizers and ya my car shakes but the top end seems really stable and shifts are hard compared to just stock mounts. I like it but you maybe not like it for daily driving.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:50 AM

On most Honda/ Acuras, there are 5 mounts (1 Rear, 2 Upper Side Mounts, and 2 Lower Side Mounts)

The Energy Suspension Insert kit fills in the 2 LOWER side mounts, and the rear.

and the Prothane Insert kit fills in the 2 UPPER side mounts, and rear.

so there is a difference between the two.

I have the ES Kit on my 99 Civic Si rite now, and about to get the Prothane set as well. The only thing stopping me is the driver side upper mount which is liquid-filled. I know the Prothane Kit has an insert for that mount, im just not sure how it'll be able to make it work.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:08 AM

I run both ES and Prothane in my B18C1 swap. The car is a moving vibrator, but it sure moves that power to the ground. You could pur your beer on my motor and it wouldn't fall off.

I used the rear Prothane instead of the ES because the prothane are so much more solid than the ES.

hih

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motor mount insert kit, Prothane or Energy Suspension??