Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

motor doesnt idle when cold, dies out! &abs & gas mileage &mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default motor doesnt idle when cold, dies out! &abs & gas mileage &mirror Question

1999 ex d16y8 motor 2dr coupe
so i did a compression test recently, gotten
from cyl 1-4
160-90-165-170

cylinder 2 is 90, and my mechanic said it could be a bent valve or something.
could this be the reason why my car is dieing out when its COLD? like it doesnt hold an idle when its cold itll die.

2nd question; gas mileage;
ive noticed a full tank of 11 gallons of chevron 87 pump gas, i get about 200-280 ish mileage and thats a mixture of city AND freeway. wondering if the cylinder has anything to do with my gas mileage? and if not what could?
replaced my fuel pump/filter and my spark plugs.

3rd question; abs
i read somewhere that some 99 ex's come with abs, it was optional. i think mine does as it has the plug from behind the cluster, and my abs light is on.
i dont know how to reset abs/turn it off/ or if its on because it actually is not working. i have no cel

4th question; power mirrors
when i bought the car stolen recovery, the driver side mirror had no power mirror module, so i went to the junkyard n got a mirror module thingy that goes behind the mirror itself. I plugged it in and wired up the 3 wires and then all i get from response is the mirror goes in circle, up>down>up>down or Left>right>left>right. doesnt actually MOVE all the way to the left or all the way to the right. ive tried 3 mirror modules total all from the junkyard and none of em seem to work. i took em off the power mirrors myself (meaning i popped the power mirrors off and unscrewed the module and cut the wires)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: motor doesnt idle when cold, dies out! &abs & gas mileage &mirror Question

To your first and second question:
I would find good head to replace your bad one. That is the easiest and least expensive way to solve upper end compression issues. In my town, you can usually pick up a head for 150 bucks or so on craigslist and get it machined for not too much more. That will likely solve your dying issue as well as your gas mileage issue. Until you fix your compression, you will continue to get bad mileage and the engine won't run correctly.

To your third question:
your car has an abs module under the hood that you should be able to easily see if you car came with ABS. You will need to get the ABS code read in order to determine what your specific problem is. Check your brake fluid because sometimes an ABS light will come with low fluid.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: motor doesnt idle when cold, dies out! &abs & gas mileage &mirror Question

i do plan on gettin a good used head, i just dont kno any machine shops in seattle that can do it.
where is the abs module located under my hood?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Still gt questions on the mirror part someone help!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

took me 5 seconds to google and make this link lol http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Best+place+to+g...ned+in+seattle Click the first link.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

more towards my mirror module switch problem now!