Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Motive Power Bleeder fitment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motive Power Bleeder fitment?

I've been hearing that the fitment isn't so great when it comes to bleeding the brakes. I however have been unable to find any input on how well the kit fits the clutch master cylinder reservoir.

Anyone have any experience using this product on the clutch of an EG?

Just for reference, the adapter for all Hondas is 1101.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Re: Motive Power Bleeder fitment?

In for more info, too. Just found out about these yesterday! However, I also found this: http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm
Old 01-18-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went ahead and ordered it anyway. At this point I'm willing to try anything. I'll post up how things went.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright so as promised, I said I would try and give a little insight into how well or not this product works with the clutch reservoir for the EGs inparticular. With that said, I believe it was Motive's intent to use their product on cars that have the reservoir attached to the master cylinder. For cars like ours, that have a remote reservoir, the fitment is rather tricky, and the amount of pressure you have to clamp the cap down with (to ensure a proper seal) seems downright frightening.

After about two hours, yes TWO HOURS of trial and error I was about to give up. I ended up with numerous cuts filled with brake fluid. What a great feeling that is I'll tell ya...

The cuts were the mostly from my slave cylinder being so close to the damn radiator (I'm h22 swapped). I basically ended up rubbing part of my hand raw to the point of bleeding. Rubbing flesh against fins on a radiator is quite painful. Now normally, such a screw up is normally the fault of the moron doing such fine work...

Not in this case however. The bleeder hose that comes with the product is downright laughable in size, and does NOT stay securely fixed to the bleeder bolt on the slave cylinder. In fact, it won't even attach at all! You basically have to heat the hose up, stretch it out (diameter), and wedge it against something to keep it from moving away from the bleeding bolt. After dropping the hose into the container of brake fluid a few times, this was getting rather annoying, and increasingly difficult.

My suggestion when using this product is to ditch the stupid bleeder hose altogether and just use a Honda vachose in a clear bottle of fluid, either that or a correctly sized clear hose (like the one that comes with). This also applies to people using this to bleed their brakes, as I'm almost more than sure the bleeder bolt for the caliper is the exact same size.

Also, cap fitment is trickier than hell, especially if your reservoir has a ganster lean like mine. It honestly could be a Honda factory thing, or maybe my arm is bent. But if you do have the lean, try and keep the cap level with the lean of the reservoir. Initially, I continuously tried keeping the cap level with the firewall, which was a huge mistake. The cap will leak if it isn't 100% centered and level with the reservoir.

Once I worked those two bugs, the product worked fabulously.