Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

More Swap ?'s(B18c into 94Civ.EX)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Swap ?'s(B18c into 94Civ.EX)

Ok guys I have a few questions again. First off I was going to pay someone to do this because the price he wanted was very cheap, but he withdrew the offer so now I am going to do it myself. I have changed engines before and am quite experienced with auto.'s, but I just got into imports so I am still pretty new, however I am confident I can do it. Here is my build/Setup:
1. 98 B18C1 into a 94 Honda Civic EX 4 door
2. 94 I believe GSR 5 speed tranny w/ comp. clutch stage 2 kit
3. The head has a perf. 3 angle valve job, full port & polish as well as bowls smoothed and enlargened.
4. Head also has supertec valve springs for low boost and s.t. valve stem seals
5. moroso oil pan
Turbo Setup
1. Garret t/4 turbo
2. Turbo xs B.O.V.
3. Tial 38mm W.G.
4. Blox Cast manifold
5. Stealth mode oil lines
6. Ebay intercooler and piping kit
7. dsm 450cc injectors
8. Walbro 255lph fuel pump
9. blox fuel regulator

Now my questions.
1. Do i need an obd conversion and what obd would I want to convert to?
2. Since my car has v-tec(p28) can I use this ecu
3. Can I use my existing wiring harness?
4. I am also getting a gsr dash and gauge bezel, should I do this at the same time?
5. Should I put my turbo in at same time?(I dont really have a choice so I hope so)
6. I heard you cant use the 2 stage intake manifold with a turbo because of ecu issues is this true?
7. oh and mounts which ones can be reused and what others do i need or should I just by some?
8. Do i need to switch anything else out like dist. or anything like that?

Thanks guys Im so excited Im so close and finally gonna have a fast car like I have always wanted and please no bashing I have researched alot just confused on some of the specifics.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: More Swap ?'s(B18c into 94Civ.EX)

1 no
2 yes. i would use the p28 if i was you oh wait..i did
3 yes
4 no. one wire mess at a time
5 yes...but thats alot more to do
6 you can...(i just did the same exact thing as you) i got a skunk2 mani though cuz the gsr intake mani is heavy and stupid
7 none of your D series motor mounts will work. i have some for sale pm me (cheap) if you want them, i bought expensive ones cuz im crazy.
8 you should get an obd1 gsr dizzy .

Last edited by rick_rabies; 03-10-2009 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: More Swap ?'s(B18c into 94Civ.EX)

In terms of the electrical aspect of the swap you can go about this 1 of 3 ways:

Method 1:
-Use a USDM '96 - '99 Integra engine harness, add vtec wiring if its from a non vtec model
-Use an OBD1 ECU (you can chip and tune the P28 you have now).

Method 2:
-Reuse your existing harness, you will have to lenthen some connectors to reach their respective sensors.
-Swap in an OBD1 Distributor, alternator and injectors

Method 3:
-Reuse your existing harness, cut and splice on OBD2 connectors for the distributor alternator and injectors.
-I am extremely hesitant to recomend method 3. It usually ends up looking sloppy and unless you solder you connections and use shrink tubing be prepared for tracking down intermitant electrical problems

*Notes that apply to all 3 methods*
-In your case you may end up cutting and splicing injector clips in any case being that you're running DSM injectors, i'm not a turbo guy and don't know what style plug they use (side note, you can pull the blue center piece out of OBD2 injector clips to make them work with OBD1 injectors, but you will have to find a way to securely fasten them to the injector, plastic ty wraps/zip ties will work.)
-In all cases you will need to run the wiring for the knock sensor (KS) if you are using a P30 or P72 (unless you have your tuner disable it in the ECU tuning)
-In all cases you will be running an OBD1 ECU.

In regards to the mount questions:
-you can reuse the upper transmission mount from the civic (this assumes its already a 5 speed)
-you need a '94 - '01 5 speed Integra rear T-bracket, you can also use one from a '94 - '97 Del Sol Vtec
-timing belt bracket and mount can both be reused from the civic (note that all integras and some civics (all VXs and some EXs) use a 3 post bracket and aluminum mount, all other civics use a 2 post bracket and black steel mount, as long as you use the corresponding mount and bracket together you can use either.
-lower transmission bracket and torque mount. Reuse the civic torque mount, use a 5 speed lower transmission bracket from a '94 - '01 Integra, '94 - '97 Del Sol Vtec or '99 - '00 Civic Si
-Front lower bracket. Use an integra lower bracket. Again use a civic torque mount

Dash questions:
Personally i'd hold off on the dash (actually i'd avoid it all together) it involves cutting and splicing new connectors for the gauge cluster. There are enough things that can go wrong when doing an engine swap, don't add to it, at least not until the swap is in and running correctly.