Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

More Civic Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 06:55 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Civic Questions

Hey again guys...

Just wanted to ask a couple more Q's before deciding on which type of civic I should buy.
Please, I wish and hope everyone can answer each one with enough information. Thanks:

I am selling my camaro (as some people know) and I just wanna double check on certain performance issues. I want to get a Honda Civic, but I don't want it to be slow. The only Civics I know of that are hella fast are the SI's, right?? Well, the EX is more in my price range. With an EX, can I get a V-Tech engine?? What year does the V-TECH engine come in??How many liters?? Is it "GOOD" pickup?? If anything, whats a good year for a civic? I know a newer one, but like back from 95+ Are there any V-TECHS back in the 95s? Basically, I don't want anything slow... I wanna hold my own, you know?? Yes, I know I could swap engines, in a later date, but really... besides an SI, what all should I get?? Also, im not a big hatchback fan (sorry guys)

-Thanks
Old 10-02-2001, 09:13 AM
Trial User

Default Re: More Civic Questions (sixtymhz)

Have you thought about an older integra gsr, faster than civics in stock form, and a 94 or 95 can be had for cheaper than a new civic. Also the older preludes, not sure which gen, but from 93 to 96 I believe. If you don't want to do an engine swap I think it would be best to at least start with a car that has DOHCs as opposed to a civic with SOHC vtec.
What exactly is your price range? I just never considiered any civic in stock form "hella fast", even though I have one, which I think is slow as heck.
Old 10-02-2001, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>Well, the EX is more in my price range<<

You sorta answered your own question there. Since you don't like hatch's, I'd look for a 96+ EX coupe. D16Y8 is the code for Honda's SOHC VTEC engine. It's not a brute or anything, but coming from V8-land, not many Honda's are likely to impress you in the acceleration department. Anyway, the D16Y8 is a decent little motor, but if drag racing is your thing, then you will probably need to plan on a swap of some sort eventually.

The only Civic I would specifically stay away from is the 96+ DX. It's non-VTEC for one thing (D16Y7), but the big killer on this car is the transmission. I know. I own one. The gears are so widly spaced, and the final drive ratio is so tall that it's just ridiculous. Even the 92-95 DX is a lot better gear-wise. Anyway, if you find a super deal on a DX then maybe you should consider it since all the EX (D16Y8) parts pretty much bolt up, including the SOHC VTEC head, and tranny. There are other issues, such as the ECU, but there are things you can do to get around them.

Right now, everybody is so swap happy that SOHC parts are *cheap*. It's sort of a neglected little motor, and can be made to perform decently without a lot of $$$ if you do your homework and your "ownwork". BTW, "ownwork" is highly recommended. Hondas are amazingly easy to work on, and you'll learn tons along with saving big bucks. I'd put the simplicity of my 6G (6th generation 96+) Civic up against anything made by GM in the last 25 years.

So, there you go. IMO, get a EX. Do a few bolt-ons. DON'T neglect the suspension. And get into some form of motorsports that involves the steering wheel ;-) because that's where Honda's shine. Good luck.
Old 10-02-2001, 10:49 AM
New User

well can someone explain to me what the difference between DOHCs and SOHCs??

My price range is prob around $15,000 and thats final. I don't want my monthly payment to be out of the roof. Now, im very into the performance, but I am also into the "car show" look. I am planning on making the look of the car impressive. But first the speed has to be good also, to kinda back it up, know what I mean?? How much for the engine swaps and what engines are good for the civics?? Also, im aiming much towards 96+ civic now.

Btw, what year were those civics in the fast and the furious? (my friends question)
Old 10-02-2001, 10:57 AM
New User

SOHC = Single overhead cam. One camshaft operates opens both intake and exhaust valves

DOHC = Dual Overhead cam. 2 camshafts. One for intake and one for exhaust.

IMHO, buy a hatchback and swap a 1.8L GSR engine into it or maybe even a Type R engine. Youll spend less than 15k on it and still have cash to spend on suspension and other goodies. The car won't ever be that fast for dragging, but you would be able to kick some *** on roads courses.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:11 AM
New User

oh okay....

well, I dont like the hatchback look. . .
and as in $15,000, I mean thats the loan im taking out. Not out of pocket.
Im only 19 yrs old, im not rich yet, hehe

I guess an SI could answer all my questions, but they aren't cheap.
What makes them so fast?
Old 10-02-2001, 11:23 AM

well you could by mine. Check the sig.
seriously though. You could have one hell of a car for 15k. Is that factoring in upgrades and labor, or just price of the car? You can find a good 92-95 coupe (5th Gen), swap in a DOHC motor, some suspension and Dyno tuning easily under 15k.

**Shameless Plug** But check out my car though 183 WHP and mid 13's on street tires so far. With no internal work yet.

James
Old 10-02-2001, 11:49 AM
New User

Default Re: More Civic Questions (itrhybrid)

Si's are still pretty expensive and there's only so much you can do to the engine. The 1.8L DOHC VTEC engines can go far beyond what the 1.6L DOHC VTEC in the Si has in terms of internal modification for N/A. Plus you can get away with a swap and still keep insurance down compared to just buying a Si. If you don't like the hatch, there are a lot of 99-00 coupes out there that are selling for really cheap. I've seen a few EX coupes going for about $9k. One thing though, if you can, try and test drive some of these cars if you haven't already.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:11 PM
New User

Well,

$15,000 as in, thats as high as I will buy a civic if it is for sale. If it is $16,000, then no. If one is for $10,000, then yes, I will have to get a loan out for the $10,000 and use whatever following money savings and paychecks to upgrade the car. (hope that clears some confusion)

So you saying I can't find a 96+ DOHC Vtech 1.8L civic for sell, for stock?? Or anything like that?? How much would a swap cost tho?? (still haven't seen that answered, so im confused)

and I like your civic for sale, looks really nice, altho, I can never get into the black rims, why are they so popular?? They look like you have a lot of brake dust on them or you missing the hub caps?
Old 10-02-2001, 12:36 PM

No, you cannot find a stock civic with a v-tec 1.8L unless it has been swapped with a motor from a Integra GSR(B18C). IMO $10,000 for a 96+ is a great price...I would go for it. Remember if you want decent performance gains you could always turbo the D16y8 engine and expect anywhere from 70 - 85% additional hp/tq. Though, if you are interested in serious power, go for the B18C engine and then turbo it later on when funds become available.

To answer your other question: The black rims are actually lighter and look more sleeper, basically more performance than anything else.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:40 PM

Default Re: More Civic Questions (maxim_force)

Oh...swaps vary with the type of engine you decide on. I think a good price for a B18c is between $3500 - $4000(depending on mileage and what parts come with it). Then expect to pay anywhere between $500 - $800 for the install.
Old 10-02-2001, 12:48 PM
New User

oh okay.

can I find a VTECH 1.6L 96 civic Stock? (are DOHC 1.8L and SOHC 1.6L?? or can you get them both in a 1.6/1.8)
Old 10-02-2001, 03:52 PM
New User

Here's the rundown of models and engine types. Btw, it's VTEC not VTECH

Civic 92-2000 models:
Civic Coupe EX - 1.6L SOHC VTEC 127hp
Engine Code D16Z6 or D16Y8 depending on year

Civic Coupe DX - 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC 106hp
Engine Code D15A? or D16Y7 depending on year

99-00 Civic Si 1.6L DOHC VTEC 160hp
Engine Code B16A2

Integra Models:
94-2001 GSR 1.8L DOHC VTEC 170hp
Engine code B18C1

97-2001 Type R 1.8L DOHC VTEC 197hp
Engine code B18C5

You can find a 96+ with VTEC but it will be a SOHC and EX model only for coupes.
1.8L engines come only in the integra, unless someone swapped an integra engine into a civic.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:00 PM
Trial User

I think the confusion is that there are two 1.6L vtec engines. One is SOHC the other id DOHC, the DOHC (b16a) is much better.
I still think that in your price range you could just buy a 94-96 Integra GSR and be much happier.
BTW the fast and the furious black civics that were pulling around the trucks were 93-95 civic coupes. You can buy a stock 5th gen coupe (92-95) for under 5 grand easily. These all come with SOHC motors, the DX and LX have a 1.5L non vtec engine, the EX comes with the 1.6 SOHC vtec. If you want it to go fast you are probably looking either turbo or engine swap into any of those. For a turbo setup I think you will probably spend 1500 to 3000 bucks depeneding on what kit you get and who installs it. A b16a swap will probably cost you anywhere from 1000- 2500 for the engine maybe more, and the installation will cost extra depending on where you are.
Good Luck
Old 10-02-2001, 06:26 PM
New User

Default Re: More Civic Questions (mps9506)

wow, thanks for the replys, really helps me out A LOT.

The only thing is, I couldn't imagine an engine swap for a honda to be really expensive. I mean, my camaro going from a v6 to a v8 was gonna be close to $5,000+

Can a civic hold a v6 in it or just all 4 cylin.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:27 PM
New User

Save yourself the regrets and the headaches, just get an Si. Or anything with a DOHC. If you want to customize her and go faster you'll thank yourself later.
I have a 2000 Civic EX and I'm already thinking about a swap. I apologize to all my fellow SOHC brothers, for I know not what I say.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:32 PM

If it were possible to fit a V6 in a civic with normal body trim, it would be a pain in the *** to drive on the street. Just think about trying to turn with such a heavy motor up front. But, you don't need a V6 to make serious power with a honda. There's a couple of guys in the turbo forum(TurboR is one of them) that makes well over 400hp with his B18C5(Integra Type R engine) with a turbo kit and numerous other modifications(?).

If you are worried about the price of a car and swapping out the engine, just go with an earlier model Civic Coupe(92-95) for around $8000-$9000 and use the rest(approx. $6000) on getting a better engine(B18C1) along with tranny and ECU into the car. Then you can always turbo it later when money is available...at least you won't be disappointed with the engine while you're waiting for the turbo money.
Old 10-03-2001, 05:29 AM
New User

Default Re: More Civic Questions (maxim_force)

what would you suggest?? auto or manual??

Couldn't I get a shift kit that would be just as good as a manual?
Old 10-03-2001, 10:27 AM
New User

Check this out. I'm selling my 93 EX coupe with a rebuilt GSR swap (B18c1) for $6800. Email me for more info @ hybridboy@msn.com
Sorry I know this is in the wrong forum, just trying to help the kid out!
Old 10-03-2001, 11:07 AM
Trial User

manual def.
It is possible to put anything into the civic, but realistically unless you want to drop lots of money then no a v6 won't fit. The 4 cyl. vtec engines are essentially a bolt in procedure depending on what engine you get and what year civic you get.
The manual transmission is favorable in hondas compared to the auto. You won't be hammering through shifts in an automatic honda like you could with a 350 turbohydro tranny. There aren';t any shift kits like the hurst quarter sticks with a lockout and ratchet action.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:08 PM
New User

Default Re: More Civic Questions (mps9506)

Deceitful: I'm also looking into the same with my EX. =/ I should have goy a used GSR or something.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Auto trannies are only for the straight line Mustang and Camaro guys that can't handle a high HP stick shift car .. or if they need it to make consistent runs. At least that's why I always ran autos in my old V8 cars
Old 10-03-2001, 10:05 PM
New User

Default Re: More Civic Questions (SpecR_EK)

Deceitful: I'm also looking into the same with my EX. =/ I should have goy a used GSR or something.
Yeah, I definately regret buying a civic EX. I wish I had at the very least sprung for the Si or even a late model GSR. Oh, well. I'm gonna stick with what I got because I'll be losing even more money if I try and sell it now. I just don't want to have to go through all that swap business. I'm just gonna turbo my little SOHC and boost it till it blows. Maybe a B16 swap though. Damn it, I can't decide.
SpecR_EK, what are your plans?
Old 10-03-2001, 10:20 PM
New User

Oh! Sixtymhz, one last thing. If you absolutely are dead set on having a civic and you plan on modding her you will save yourself a lot of regrets if you just get a cheap car, and throw in a 1.8L DOHC. Whether you want to turbo her SC or whatever in the realm of Acuras/Hondas this is the engine that you will want if you plan on making the most speed. So plan on a swap if you want a civic. My personal advice is to forget the civic and get a GSR. You don't have to deal with a swap, and she's all ready for boost. You just have to realize that for serious Horsepower applications the D16 is your least likely candidate. For a civic, an Si at the very least, but idealy, the GSR would benefit you most. You can great deals on them now that the name has been discontinued, an you can choose practicaly any of them from '94-'00 because they are all pretty much the same. Come back and thank us later.
Old 10-04-2001, 04:09 AM

Default Re: More Civic Questions (DeceitfulCivic)

DeceitfulCivic: 100% true

Quick Reply: More Civic Questions