Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

monster tach help plz!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default monster tach help plz!

so my buddy came over with this cheap pep boys monster tach (i know what a pos). i installed it according to the directions and i cant get it to read rpms. i have an eg service manual from honda and it say in the directions to connect the green wire from the tach to the distibutor wire which said tachometer test. the directions said to connect to this. its the blue wire on the 2 wire plug for the distributor. im not positive if this is the correct one.

i also connected the positive lead to the under dash fuse that said option in the the books diagram. the 5 male leads that are on the fuse box, i used the second one in from the left. i made sure i sanded the paint back to connect the ground. and i spliced the lighting wire in with the dimmer switch. i spliced it to the red wire. does anybody have any ideas that i can try or read something that is def wrong. does anybody know of a good write-up for these stupid things. thanks in advance.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: monster tach help plz!

copied from "another site". not my writeup, but should work...

"The four wires from your aftermarket tach are red, green, white, and black.
The red, white and black should be easy. (See below for suggestions)
The green wire goes to your test tach wire located by your battery. It looks like a coupling just pull it out and the blue wire is exposed use the green line off the tach to that.

These are the wires that the author used.
Red line > I put to the 3rd fuse in dash
White line > I put to the right headlight fuse under the hood
Black line > To the chassis as close as possible to the tach"

or, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY_rLch-ggA

oh, and it took under 30 seconds to google the answer, and post here...
Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cynical 1
oh, and it took under 30 seconds to google the answer, and post here...

i did google it but the reason why i asked here is cause i wanted someone who has done it before in an eg civic to tell me exactly how they did it. i is a model specific forum and i wanted to know what other peoples setup was. thank you for the info tho.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the wire i used back in my rice days was the blue one on the left side of the gauge cluster.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tried the blue wire at the dizzy and then the one behind the guage cluster and the the one by the mc at the firewall and still nothing. i think that its just a defective piece of ****. i even watched the ten minute video on youtube and did it exactly the way he did it and still no success. i talked him into letting me finde an si cluster in the junkyard and jumping the numbers to where ever they have to be to match his old cluster. thanx for the input guys!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tougetuned_ef
i tried the blue wire at the dizzy and then the one behind the guage cluster and the the one by the mc at the firewall and still nothing. i think that its just a defective piece of ****. i even watched the ten minute video on youtube and did it exactly the way he did it and still no success. i talked him into letting me finde an si cluster in the junkyard and jumping the numbers to where ever they have to be to match his old cluster. thanx for the input guys!

you dont have to jump the numbers. just press the tabs that hold the front part of the cluster on (the glass and shroud) then take the 3 screws out of the back of the speedo, and the speedo falls out. then you just put the old speedo into the si cluster.

thats how i had my tach in my dx, until i swapped a si cdm cluster into it so i could legally have KM/H with mph on the little ring.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tougetuned_ef
i talked him into letting me finde an si cluster in the junkyard and jumping the numbers to where ever they have to be to match his old cluster. thanx for the input guys!
You can simply swap the speedometer head to retain your current mileage.
Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this isnt my car. im not about to go taking apart this guys cluster and then have to pay for him to have a whole new one. its not my problem. it the ricer guy with the pepboys H shift **** and the cheap monster tach. everything that could be painted under the hood is lime green. this kid just will not listen to me. well to each his own.