Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Eg b16a cv axel replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Eg b16a cv axel replacement

Trying to replace passenger side cv axel and the auto part store is having trouble identifying rite part because it's a swap.. we wann try and get one from salvage yard so we need to know what will work. Will a eg ex i dont know motor for this one ... will it work on a eg dx b16a?
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-09-2023, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts
Default Re: Eg b16a cv axel replacement

You will need axles from any of the following: '94-01 Integra, '94-97 Del Sol DOHC VTEC, or a '99-00 Civic Si.

Incidentally, this post was very clear, provided the proper foundational information, and what you intended to do to try and resolve the issue. Well done.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
You will need axles from any of the following: '94-01 Integra, '94-97 Del Sol DOHC VTEC, or a '99-00 Civic Si.

Incidentally, this post was very clear, provided the proper foundational information, and what you intended to do to try and resolve the issue. Well done.
Thanks, so a a regular 95 civic wont work?
Old 01-10-2023, 12:40 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaz253
Thanks, so a a regular 95 civic wont work?
Nope. The Civic axle will have 25 splines on the inboard end (that goes into the transmission), and the B-series transmission has a 27-spline diff. You'll need an axle from one of the cars @JRCivic1 listed.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Nope. The Civic axle will have 25 splines on the inboard end (that goes into the transmission), and the B-series transmission has a 27-spline diff. You'll need an axle from one of the cars @JRCivic1 listed.
ok great this is helpful. Thank you. So 27 splines for the b series..? On the tranny end. Is the tire end the same amount ? Also we took off the driver side tire and noticed that the caliper bolts/pins r missing don't even know how long we been driving like that lol can I take the bolts off a eg or should it be from the list of cars for the axel i added a pic. Thanks
Old 01-10-2023, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

Those short bolts are merely for keeping the brake rotor from falling off the hub during manufacturing... they serve no purpose once a wheel is properly torqued to the brake rotor face... the wheel sandwiches the brake rotor between it and the wheel hub.

Don't get caught up in the spline counts... just get axles that fit the list of cars that I posted above. They will work.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:38 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

The hubs on B-series equipped Civics and Integras have 26 splines. The hubs on D-series equipped Civics also have 26 splines EXCEPT for 88-91 Civic HF and Std trim levels - those only have 23 splines. So yes, follow JRCivic1's advice.

I also agree with JRCivic1 - the pic you posted shows the two rotor screws missing - that is fine. You specifically said caliper bolts/pins though (not visible in the picture you posted) - if you are truly missing those, you need to replace them. If you do need them, you can get them from an EG.
Old 01-11-2023, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
Those short bolts are merely for keeping the brake rotor from falling off the hub during manufacturing... they serve no purpose once a wheel is properly torqued to the brake rotor face... the wheel sandwiches the brake rotor between it and the wheel hub.

Don't get caught up in the spline counts... just get axles that fit the list of cars that I posted above. They will work.
I have another question the axel still might be good we r replacing because the boot closest to the tire had a nickel sized hole in it. My cousin says just replace the whole axle because you don't know if there's damage what do you think should we try just replacing the boot? We found one axle at the salvage yard from I think it's a 97 Integra that looks pretty decent
Old 01-11-2023, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
The hubs on B-series equipped Civics and Integras have 26 splines. The hubs on D-series equipped Civics also have 26 splines EXCEPT for 88-91 Civic HF and Std trim levels - those only have 23 splines. So yes, follow JRCivic1's advice.

I also agree with JRCivic1 - the pic you posted shows the two rotor screws missing - that is fine. You specifically said caliper bolts/pins though (not visible in the picture you posted) - if you are truly missing those, you need to replace them. If you do need them, you can get them from an EG.
maybe they're not caliper bolts they must be the rotor screws you're talking about cuz I'm just missing the two little bolts in the picture I posted, I found two on a 97 Integra they're just two little short bolts I'm going to try see if they work
Old 01-12-2023, 04:20 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Just replace the axle. You can use the old one as a core replacement for a brand new one from the auto parts store. While it is possible to just replace the boot, I wouldn't do it unless I caught it right when it tore, or unless you disassemble the joint, clean out all the grease, inspect the CV joint, and if all components are good, repack it and install the new boot. If you don't disassemble, clean, and inspect, you risk dirt having got in there, and that will destroy the CV joint.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Just replace the axle. You can use the old one as a core replacement for a brand new one from the auto parts store. While it is possible to just replace the boot, I wouldn't do it unless I caught it right when it tore, or unless you disassemble the joint, clean out all the grease, inspect the CV joint, and if all components are good, repack it and install the new boot. If you don't disassemble, clean, and inspect, you risk dirt having got in there, and that will destroy the CV joint.
Ok thanks a new axel is like 120, was just trying to save some money lol
Old 01-13-2023, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have another question the axel still might be good we r replacing because the boot closest to the tire had a nickel sized hole in it. My cousin says just replace the whole axle because you don't know if there's damage what do you think should we try just replacing the boot? We found one axle at the salvage yard from I think it's a 97 Integra that looks pretty decent
The 97 integra we found has a b18 is that fine?
Old 01-13-2023, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
the 97 Integra we found has a B18 is that fine cuz we have a B16
Old 01-13-2023, 01:57 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, that's fine
Old 01-13-2023, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Yes, that's fine

Thanks Appreciate it
Old 01-17-2023, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trying to replace passenger side cv axel and the auto part store is having trouble identifying rite part because it's a swap.. we wann try and get one from salvage yard so we need to know what will work. Will a eg ex i dont know motor for this one ... will it work on a eg dx b16a?
Hey just wanted to say thank u for all ur help, we got the axel in and it fit perfect used a 99 Integra cv axel. Didn't fix the problem were having but it needed to be replaced. It's still making a weird noise I'll make a separate post...
DaX