Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mods that will help MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mods that will help MPG?

Man are gas pricing going up,what are some mods that can help me get better MPG?

I've thought on a couple of things...

plugs,wires,msd...anything else?do these even help at all?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mods that will help MPG? (sam21)

fuel filter, clean injectors, proper timing, proper inflation of tires....
Old 08-18-2005, 06:29 PM

Your question is asking for mods that help MPG - I have a short ram and a wide open catback and my MPG went from about 37-38 to about 42-43.

Not sure how long it would take to recoup the cost, but the exhaust needed to be changed anyway (stock muffler fell off) so I don't count part of the cost. Also, the washable element short ram didn't cost too much more than a replacement air filter, and I won't have to buy any more filters...
Old 08-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Re: Mods that will help MPG? (jdmsiR20)

Basically, the easier it is for your motor to do it's job, the less gas you'll use. So this brings up a few options.
1. Reducing the weight of the rotational inerta. This can be achieved with Lighter wheels, ligthened flywheel, or if you have a big brake kit, converting back to stock.
2. Reducing the weight that you're towing around. If you have any thing that you're carrying around that is unnecessary, Or if you're feeling hardcore, you could gut your car.
3. Reducing drag. Since i doubt you'll be interested in changing the shape of your car for aerodynamics, this leaves the option of using narrower wheels.
4. Making it easier for the engine to breathe. I/H/E will yield you a few more mpg. Now that I think about it, if you did headwork without getting a cam. (PnP, ligthened drivetrain, etc.) it would reduce rotational intertia as well.
5. Retarding the timing. Hell, get cams gears and do the opposite of what most people do. Or you could adjust your distributor.
6. Reducing the number of times that motor fires. basically, get a lower final drive. If you got a d-series, put the 92-95 cx/vx 3.25 final drive in. if you're b-series. LS final drive and LS 5th gear.
7. converting to vtec-e (if you're d-series

and that's about all i can think of

Modified by bense at 6:48 PM 8/19/2005
Electrician

Fuel filter.
Spark plus set to OEM-spec gap.
OEM ignition wires.
Timing set to OEM-degrees.
Same and proper inflation of all tires, to spec.
Granny shifting.
Nothing over 70 MPH.
Nothing over 3,500 RPM.
O2 sensor properly working.
Catalytic converter in decent condition.
High-flow air filter and a CLEAN one at that.
SeaFoam through your fuel system.
Swaggylicious

Default Re: Mods that will help MPG? (jdmsiR20)

cool,anyone know for sure if an intake will actually help MPG or make it worse?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drive like there is an eggshell under your gas and brake pedals, or like there is a glass of water on the dash and you don't want to spill it.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:43 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: Mods that will help MPG? (bense)

bump cause i edited my post
Old 08-18-2005, 06:44 PM
Swaggylicious

all right I got vx wheels,cat back with stock cat,aem with a dirty filter and best MPG I've ever gotten was 31mpg and I only get about 250 miles per full tank

now my car's a DX so I should be getting 34mpg or so,why do you guys think I'm only getting 31?and I drove like a granny for a full tank once and it didnt help
Old 08-19-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: (sam21)

Not sure if this info will help at all, but when I drive like a granny my MPG actually goes down (in the Del Sol).
Old 08-19-2005, 06:37 AM

Also check your PCV valve. Intake/Throttle Body cleaner helps too.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 PM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: (leeloo67)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by leeloo67 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not sure if this info will help at all, but when I drive like a granny my MPG actually goes down (in the Del Sol). </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you shifting too early and having to floor it cause you're bogging your motor down?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get a vx tranny.
Old 08-19-2005, 02:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

header intake exhaust....improved my gas from 31 to 36 mphs in my dx
Old 08-19-2005, 05:52 PM

do not get a cold air intake however. The colder the air, the more horsepower it creates, and it will cause your mps to drop. Not dramatically, but its just a thought.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: (bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are you shifting too early and having to floor it cause you're bogging your motor down?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a Del Sol S, so it is pretty much bogged down all the time!
Old 08-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Swaggylicious

I think I'm shifting too early often times(thanks for the non tach Honda!)I know I am in races,damn I need a tach
Old 08-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like there is a glass of water on the dash and you don't want to spill it</TD></TR></TABLE>
That only works for learning how not to spill tofu

Ive thought about making a cover for under the rear bumper, like the eg vx.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Ive thought about making a cover for under the rear bumper, like the eg vx.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, a diffuser will help your MPG by creating less drag, or you could cut holes in the back of your rear bumper or get one of those "hole plates" that drag cars use
Old 08-19-2005, 10:11 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (Hatch_R)

NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.

I will vouch for these personally. More effectient and effective/complete burn will give more power per given fuel, thus better MPG and more power per less fuel. Basically, making the engine more effecient will net a better MPG, assuming you not racing.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Redline96LX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Redline96LX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">NGK Iridium Spark Plugs.

I will vouch for these personally. More effectient and effective/complete burn will give more power per given fuel, thus better MPG and more power per less fuel. Basically, making the engine more effecient will net a better MPG, assuming you not racing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is somewhat true, especially if you run a high-powered stereo. There sure is a lot of bad info on here.

CAI does not reduce MPG. Getting more HP does not reduce MPG. Actually, anything that takes away low end torque/hp will reduce your HP so you should check WHICH I/E/H you look at to see how much your daily driving will be affected.
Old 08-20-2005, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I will not be cutting holes in my rear bumper...
Id shoot expanding foam into the damn thing before I make a diffuser bumper
Old 08-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mods that will help MPG? (bense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
5. Retarding the timing. Hell, get cams gears and do the opposite of what most people do. Or you could adjust your distributor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please explain why this would help. It wouldn't decrease the amount of gas flowing into the combustion chamber, and it would decrease the amount of power the engine would produce. So in order to make up for the lack of power you would have to push the pedal farther down and dump more gas into the chamber.
Old 08-20-2005, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mods that will help MPG? (Falqon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Falqon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Please explain why this would help. It wouldn't decrease the amount of gas flowing into the combustion chamber, and it would decrease the amount of power the engine would produce. So in order to make up for the lack of power you would have to push the pedal farther down and dump more gas into the chamber.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It would make Gas mileage better because on avg we all drive at the 1.5k - 3.5k rpm range. Dialing your camgears to retard would give you more low end power, not top end. More power at the same amount of gas means you could, theoretically, lessen off of the gas pedal to acheive the same driveablility as before. I.E. instead of bogging at 2k, you might be in the sweet range in 5th gear, saving more gas than before.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:30 PM

seafoam works wonders, just make sure you follow the instructions correctly. these guys are right, dont bog, but use the highest gear possible while driving. my cai made me lose 2 mpg, so that loss is factual. i lose more when i start enjoying the sound a 3" catback is high flowing, but if you just have a 1.6L, then its overkill, there isnt enough pressure, and you'll lose torque, meaning you'll have to rev higher to accelerate. a 2.5" is more reasonable, but a high flow cat will probably be really useful.

also, while coming to a stop, leave the car in gear, and dont use the cluch. saves gas, because it doesnt use any fuel. i've heard people call bs about this before, but think about it- the throttle position is at 0%.

as for aerodynamic drag, the stock civic is pretty aerodyanmic. what was it, like .29 c/d or less? lowering your car helps a bit, and so does keeping the windows closed. a rear diffuser is a bit excessive, and you might get flamed, but if you're feeling a bit ambitious, make plastic pieces to smooth airflow under your car. the flatter, the better. this isnt true about racing though, since you want downforce, and you might inadvertantly create lift.

lastly, a lower rotational mass will help, but a lightened flywheel wont necessarily help. while it'll help save fuel under acceleration, your car will deccelerate faster as well, and you might lose mpg under rush hour traffic. rear drum brakes are also lighter than disc brakes, not much, but its there.

Quick Reply: Mods that will help MPG?