Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods

Hi all,

I currently have a D16 Engine, with auto tranny, can't be bothered to change the tranny at the mo, but i'm looking to increase power.

Currently looking at a a skunk2, inlet and throttle body, coupled with some sort of exhaust manifold and skunk2 cat back exhaust.

any further input on this,

maybe some new cams

a tranny change is in the pipeline but not till summer.

cheers
Old 12-26-2007, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i/H/E. not much more chief. and a exhaust and header on a auto is begging to get dogged on.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:08 PM

Default Re: (jdm-yoda)

? sorry don't follow
Old 12-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Iwanttogofaster)

Don't waste your time modding an automatic. It will make more noise and get more attention from the police, but that's about it. If you want to make a difference in the driving experience of an automatic, do suspension work
Old 12-27-2007, 03:54 AM

Like I say it will be having a manual conversion in the next couple of months, just had to wait for the new holiday year before I can book some time off work to perform the swap. Whats the difference between a 'd' series and a 'b' series engine. and would there be any advantage to doing this sort of swap?
Old 12-27-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iwanttogofaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. Whats the difference between a 'd' series and a 'b' series engine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lol there is no power to be gained with an exhaust on an auto.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:41 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iwanttogofaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Whats the difference between a 'd' series and a 'b' series engine. and would there be any advantage to doing this sort of swap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

D-series - 1.5L-1.7L Boring in stock form, SOHC, and if it has VTEC it only operates on the intake valves. Will make at most 130 crank horsepower stock.

B-series - DOHC non-VTEC 1.8L makes 140+/- crank hp.

B-series - DOHC VTEC 1.6L - 160-185 crank hp. 1.8L 170-200+/- crank hp. These motors come with a close ratio gearox and VTEC operates on both intake and exhaust valves for a high rpm power band.

In short, B-series engines a superior to D-series power wise.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a b series comes with a thriller jacket?

if you're asking the difference in a b and series you really have no idea what you're doing, why don't you use the search button and not expect us to hold your hand?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:32 PM

In reply to instrument,

I am a mechanic however this is my first venture into honda territory as most of the things that I work with are 18L diesel engines and have 22.5 inch rims with 14 tonnes plus on them, oh and 700hp.

never mind though, eh?

I appreciate that there must be a lot of people who come along and say i wanna modify my car and make it do the quarter mile in 7 seconds. I don't, I'm realistic. as it happens. I actually have now a spare d16 engine with manual tranny, that is waiting to be rebuilt from the ground up. So what I was really after is some useful input.

I do believe that having read the sensible peoples replies that a B series engine is better, and I can plainly see why. However I have bought a D series and was after some sensible advice 'Not trying to shoot me down' on how best to modify a D series.

So please feel free to input some advice on what to and what not to buy, without going into how engines work.

Cheers, sorry for the rant.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 PM

Oh and instrument

Is the whole point of a forum 'to be able to ask others for advice' I did read the difference between a 'B' series and 'D' series but it was like my B series has 800hp your d series only has 300hp, now that is no help to someone who doesn't wanna quarter mile their car.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

bahahah just cause i can =]
Old 12-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah this forum is about asking questions and what not. however everything youre going to ask at this point in your honda "knowledge" has been covered 1231254521412 times. and all this information can be found using the search button. Making threads that asks the same question over and over and over again is just over kill. use the search button that way you wont get flamed off the board.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:40 PM

apologies.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Everything you listed is a total waste of time/money.

Get a 5spd.

After that, turbo it.

Spending money on an n/a d-series is like flushing it down the toilet. With 2-3 thousand dollars you can MAYBE make b16/b18b numbers.

Better off to boost it or swap it out.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iwanttogofaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like I say it will be having a manual conversion in the next couple of months, just had to wait for the new holiday year before I can book some time off work to perform the swap. Whats the difference between a 'd' series and a 'b' series engine. and would there be any advantage to doing this sort of swap?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The best bang for you buck mod for a D series is installing a B series.

That's the truth.

You wont make any good NA numbers with a D series. If you're looking for a quick and durrty, you can do the I/H/E. Since you're doing a manual conversion in a few months, a good idea would be to buy a short geared trans. The 92-95 Civic or Del sol Si had the shortest D series gearing, IIRC. The other options are the 92-95 EX (similar, but with a higher 4th and 5th gear), or a 96-00 EX. Every other USDM trans sucks....badly. The trans would have more of an effect on power delivery.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:55 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to make your D fast is by either boosting the stock D or building it. Other than that your options are simple: Swap. Dont waste your time and money on NA D series parts.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:52 AM

Thank you all for your input, I'm guessing that a blower of some sort is the way forward, any recommendations. I have seen kits starting from around 400 gbp with a similar turbo to the evo.( or so it is claimed ) any thoughts on this.?

cheers for the input so far.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:00 AM

Silly question, is the stock ecu capable of running with a turbo, or will I require a hondata ecu of some description?
Old 12-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iwanttogofaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Silly question, is the stock ecu capable of running with a turbo, or will I require a hondata ecu of some description?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you'll definitely need to get your ECU tuned when/if you install a turbo kit on your car
Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (Probot)

I have yet to see the exact year, make, model of the car, or even the exact engine code you're looking to build/modify.

There are a lot of variables between the years of the cars, and the engines themselves that make actual realistic suggestion for making power impossible.

So if you could, help us help you - give us more details please. I'm willing to try and help you out, and I've got a nice B series and a semi-built D series so I'm not a B or D **** since I play with both of them.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:36 AM

my car is currently a stock 1992 ESI auto, with a d16z6 engine. I have a set of spax shockers with lowering springs to match. A slightly enhanced air intake, not that it makes that much difference.

My aim is to modify the engine that i bought along with the matching manual gearbox, 1992 d16z6 engine + box, and then drop these into my car. I am led to believe that the ECU that is in my car, can be modified to run a manual box having read some of the posts in this forum. I also am led to believe that a hondata s200 ecu mod, will cope with runnning a turbo.

Now as I understand things to go, you can turbo a stock d16z6 motor, however from my experience as a mechanic when you modify things in ways that aren't really recommended then you should improve components, like pistons, valves, liners, con rods etc. obviously ramming more air into the engine with a turbo gives it a requirement for a larger exhaust. So I would estimate that a large bore exhaust will be required. I'm also led to believe that unless I can shrink the foot print of my A/C radiator/compressor fan I will have to abandon it ( which isn't too much of a problem as its always cold here ) .

I'm guessing with an uprated engine that an uprated clutch will also be required that just seems logical. I was looking at exedy clutches + flywheels.

So with so much work to do it would seem silly not to build the engine from the ground up as I have my second engine to work on and still be able to drive my car. I was looking for a B series engine, but couldn't find one that was young enough, they all seem to have high mileage in the UK. or be wrecked. So i'm left with the D series as there appears to be plenty.

Hopefully this sheds a bit more light on what I have.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mods (Iwanttogofaster)

d series and auto tranny.u wont gain much hp on mods
Old 12-28-2007, 04:47 AM

I know I won't gain much by having the auto tranny however I have the D series engine with manual box, to modify, but i'm going to do it while its out of the car. so i can still drive while I'm modding.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The best bang for you buck mod for a D series is installing a B series.

That's the truth.

You wont make any good NA numbers with a D series. If you're looking for a quick and durrty, you can do the I/H/E. Since you're doing a manual conversion in a few months, a good idea would be to buy a short geared trans. The 92-95 Civic or Del sol Si had the shortest D series gearing, IIRC. The other options are the 92-95 EX (similar, but with a higher 4th and 5th gear), or a 96-00 EX. Every other USDM trans sucks....badly. The trans would have more of an effect on power delivery.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I disagree, the H22 is a lot more bang for your buck, in my opinion.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Iwanttogofaster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi all,

I currently have a D16 Engine, with auto tranny, can't be bothered to change the tranny at the mo, but i'm looking to increase power.

Currently looking at a a skunk2, inlet and throttle body, coupled with some sort of exhaust manifold and skunk2 cat back exhaust.

any further input on this,

maybe some new cams

a tranny change is in the pipeline but not till summer.

cheers</TD></TR></TABLE>

First off, it's a SOHC (1 cam) - you cannot put more than one cam in there.

Secondly, the D16Z6 doesn't respond well to bolt-ons (exhaust, header, intake, intake mani, etc.) - so don't bother with them unless you're turbocharged.

Thirdly, the Honda Civic 5th and 6th ('92-'00) automatic transmissions seem to have a low power threshold (they can't take much punishment), not to mention they don't have the greatest torque converters so they have significantly less power at the wheels than the manuals. They're not like chevys where the automatic's torque converter puts it at the same level as the manual .

My advice:
- Nothing is worth upgrading unless you get rid of the crappy transmission, first, so I'd put that at the top of my list.
- Also, since bolt-ons do the approximation increases somewhere in the ball park of "nothing" - don't bother with them.
- Obviously, turbocharging on stock internals is your best bet in terms of bang for your buck, you can double the WHP for 2k while the motor's still running safely, but you'll be lucky if your engine can hold 150whp, none-the-less 200, which your motor can hold no problem o na good tune...you're probably putting down about ~100 at the wheels.

Quick Reply: Mods