Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

modified exhaust ticket. help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modified exhaust ticket. help!

hi, i recieved a modified smog device ticket about a week ago...ON MY B-DAY! the police officer wrote me ticket with the vehicle code 27156 which is a gross polluter?

im a little confused on why he did this instead of just a fix it ticket.

so i have to go to court and im not sure what i should do. im running a skunk2 megapower exhaust which is carb legal i believe. should i fight this ticket or pay the fine or whatever? thanks HT

heres a link about the gross polluter.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27156.htm#
Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i kinda was in the same predicament u are in, i was passing through virginia and got pulled over for the same kinda thing. ive got megan racing drift spec...i hadda jus pay it cuz i live in NC an wasnt drivin up there to fight it...$90..[freak]in cops these days..
Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: modified exhaust ticket. help! (slo_ej8)

I have the same cat back on my SIR...(Si to you 'mericans)

I got busted with it too, but mine was a noise violation not pollution.

I have 2 questions for you.

1. Did you have the silencer in at the time? (if not then that exhaust is considered a straight through pipe which for us here in Canada is illegal)

2. Did you keep your CAT? (If you still have your cat on then you should still be emissions legal)

If that is the case, just go get a smog test done to prove that you meet your state's carb requirements and bring that to court. They'll throw out the ticket and I bet the test is cheaper than paying the ticket outright.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 AM

Default Re: modified exhaust ticket. help! (B16AGUY)

i did not have a silencer and yes i have the cat. but im also worried because i have a b20z in my civic.which im not supposed to have in CA.

the cop popped my hood and took pics for about 10 mins. but im sure a smog station will have a better idea what motor should be in my car..
Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 AM

Time to move! I would hate to live in cali, thats shitty, good luck!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that's what you should have said at first. That he popped your hood. A b20 engine is not the engine that's suppose to be in your car...that's if your name slo_ej8 means you actually have a ej8. Ej8's come with a d series motor you should know that. You can't even Bar a b20 engine cuz its considered a light truck engine. Someone correct me if im wrong.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:25 AM

Default Re: modified exhaust ticket. help! (mortificationrock)

damn..i hear all about this stuff all the time on here.. i live up in washington..and we can do what ever with our cars and trucks.. i dont even know what the "bar" is.. ... its not even illegal to have a b20 in a civic up here.. .. what states are like this??
Old 06-27-2008, 11:39 AM

Yeah you're pretty [freak]ed if youre in CA with a light truck engine. I would just pay the ticket really.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LMAO

B20Z.........Well there's your problem skippy. The polution/smog ticket has nothing to do with your exhaust. I'd say pay the ticket and don't bother fighting cause a judge could rule the car non road worthy by state standards.

I'd like to see pics of the engine bay :D
Old 06-27-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, basically you have to swap back in your d-series and run your stock exhaust to pass smog. Simple as that...

CA sucks but i couldn't picture myself living anywhere else
Old 06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, like it has been said. The exhaust isn't the real problem. That engine is. If there is a way you can just pay off the ticket without having to get it smogged (and therefore BAR'ed) you should do that because you can not bar that motor in Cali and will therefore never pass smog.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Default Re: (alacard)

well he never actually said anything about the engine. he just examined it. its all stock except for an intake which i have a carb sticker for..

and on the ticket it says modified smog device. he stated he pulled me over for my exhaust.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (slo_ej8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slo_ej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well he never actually said anything about the engine. he just examined it. its all stock except for an intake which i have a carb sticker for..

and on the ticket it says modified smog device. he stated he pulled me over for my exhaust. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It doesn't matter, if he presents the pictures in court or something I'm sure they're going to make you take a trip to ref AKA you're boned with that B20z under the hood.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.mattyz_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .mattyz_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It doesn't matter, if he presents the pictures in court or something I'm sure they're going to make you take a trip to ref AKA you're boned with that B20z under the hood. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Couldn't have said that better myself. But honestly if the cop took pics of your engine then he's obviously up to something don't you think? Its not like he took pictures of your car for refference for when his kid wants a swap on his civic hell be like " yo son this engine in this pick is mad jdm yo". LoL
Old 06-28-2008, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.mattyz_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slo_ej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well he never actually said anything about the engine. he just examined it. its all stock except for an intake which i have a carb sticker for..

and on the ticket it says modified smog device. he stated he pulled me over for my exhaust. </TD></TR></TABLE>
im pretty sure the ticket says it all
Old 06-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Even if the above situations don't happen, my point was that you can not smog it with that engine in. Unless this ticket is merely for exceeding the dB limit, you will have to pass smog. A regular smog guy will send you to the ref, and a ref will send you home because that engine can't pass in a civic.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:29 AM

Has your car passed it's smog exam?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:31 AM

yeah your pretty much screwed. I'd say just pay the ticket instead of risking the smog test idea. Then come up here to washington where they dont care!! i got pulled over and the cop was like, "btw your exhaust is illeagal but i don't really care" lol. but then again i got a $220 speeding ticket as well...but thats a diff story haha
Old 06-28-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn that sucks ca is so damn strict on that
Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 PM

ok i live in cali .. and let me tell you that there is no way that you are going to get away with your car intact. that cop will bust you out.. thats the way they are over here.. if you go to court they'r gonna send you to the Ref. AKA, and they'll going to impound your car for sure,,!! so i'll tell you what to do..

get all the stuff out of your car,, engine, wheels, exhaust, seats radio, ect. and hide it... and reported stolen, then go to court pay the ticket , and then leave your car somewhere in the city, and let the cops find it for you.. guess what.. you got your car back.. then put everithing back on..

well this is just an idea,, never tried before but i'm sure is gonna work..
Old 06-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slo_ej8)

But that's just it... when he pulled you over for the exhaust he had no clue about the engine. (he may have suspected it by the sound etc.) But the exhaust is enough to pull you over for. Then he had probable cause to check under the hood. He saw the engine and took pics. Why would he take pics? In case you go to court, he can then say boom here's proof of what was in the car at the time of the infraction. The exhaust is legit but that engine is what is producing the "excess" smog. It's the same here, if your car can't pass emissions tests every two years you're S.O.L. Mind you, our emissions tests are not nearly as hard to pass as the cali BAR. I could drop in a K20A and boost it, so long as I keep a cat and working muffler on there I should be legal.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Default Re: (B16AGUY)

I can do a 7l twin turbo diesel swap and run straight pipes and still be legal here.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it must suck, I would NEVER live in cali. In South Carolina there is NO VEHICLE INSPECTION. You can have 0% tint all around and open headers with a boosted K swap in a CRX and it's perfectly legal lol..... I live in NC but frequent SC.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:57 PM

yeahh california sucks!!! everything is illegal over here.. if you walk in the wrong sidewalk is illegal.. if you breath is illegal.. if you have bad gasses is illegal..if you'r a dark skin person you are an illegal..everything is illegal.. looks more like a communist state,, there is no freedom in this state.. i will call it the new Soviet California Union.. everything is illegal down here.. but gay marriage is not illegal.. !! so come over here and get marry!!

Modified by sorullo at 9:01 PM 6/28/2008

Modified by sorullo at 9:38 PM 6/28/2008
Old 06-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: modified exhaust ticket. help! (sorullo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sorullo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">!! so i'll tell you what to do..

get all the stuff out of your car,, engine, wheels, exhaust, seats radio, ect. and hide it... and reported stolen, then go to court pay the ticket , and then leave your car somewhere in the city, and let the cops find it for you.. guess what.. you got your car back.. then put everithing back on..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow you are the dumbest mother[expletiver] on HT!!! why the hell would take out you engine,wheels, etc and report it stolen,,ever heard of the word FRAUD???? man GTFO of this site and go back to myspace, you are a efffin tool!!!

Quick Reply: modified exhaust ticket. help!