Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

modding a b16 oil pan to fit GSR block?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modding a b16 oil pan to fit GSR block?

Is this possible, has anybody heard of anybody doing this? I am a good welder, I just am not sure if it would have adverse effects, or what sort of problems could occur from doing this?
Any input would be great thanks!
Old 06-15-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: modding a b16 oil pan to fit GSR block? (mattssi)

all you need is the b16 oil pick up and you are set. no welding of the pan neccesary.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: modding a b16 oil pan to fit GSR block? (BDCruz)

I was told that the pickup and windage tray fro ma b16 would not fit a GSR block because of the block girdle? And that is why you can use a gsr pan on a b16, but not vice versa?
Old 06-15-2004, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can anyone confirm this?
Old 06-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattssi)

this is true.. i had the same problem with my gsr swap.. the pan and pickup were crushed.. i got a b16 one and the pan is too shallow in the rear and the pickup doesn't line up with the holes on the block...

jeremy
Old 06-15-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sticky667)

Back to my original question though? Is it possible to mod a b16 pan to fit a GSR block. I know it has the same dimensions as far as how it fits around the bottom of the block, but the trays or whatever they are I think interfere with the girdle? yes/no? That is what makes them not fit? is it possible to relocate those to a lower position or mod it to just fit the gsr pickup?

If i have to i will do it the hard way and just start modifying it to fit, But i would like to know if this will cause issues as far as performance, or oil flowing issues?
Old 06-16-2004, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump..
Old 06-22-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Back to my original question though? Is it possible to mod a b16 pan to fit a GSR block. I know it has the same dimensions as far as how it fits around the bottom of the block, but the trays or whatever they are I think interfere with the girdle? yes/no? That is what makes them not fit? is it possible to relocate those to a lower position or mod it to just fit the gsr pickup?

If i have to i will do it the hard way and just start modifying it to fit, But i would like to know if this will cause issues as far as performance, or oil flowing issues? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Imho, it's not worth it Matt.
I've been able to run the b18c pan on a b16, but after looking at the opposite (b16 pan on b18c) I can honestly say it's not worth the amount of work and effort to make it work. It would entail cutting up the oil pan, and adding depth at the area where the block girdle is.

I'd try to classifieds for a proper b18c pan, or maybe contact Moroso. They have some nice *pricey* parts.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Back to my original question though? Is it possible to mod a b16 pan to fit a GSR block. </TD></TR></TABLE>no.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know it has the same dimensions as far as how it fits around the bottom of the block, but the trays or whatever they are I think interfere with the girdle? </TD></TR></TABLE> true, interference with the girdle. you could remove the girdle but please dont do that.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattssi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If i have to i will do it the hard way and just start modifying it to fit, But i would like to know if this will cause issues as far as performance, or oil flowing issues? </TD></TR></TABLE> nope. the GSR oil pickup and GSR oilpan <U>can be used if you dont run the girdle </U>but you really should use the girdle...