Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Modding a 2000 Civic Si

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding a 2000 Civic Si

Hey, i just got my em1 and now I want to put a few simple mods onto it.

I've researched cai and power chambers but I don't know which would be better, people say they're about the same but cais lag just a bit because of how long the piping is, and also that the sound from a power chamber is a finer sound opposed to a cai. I'm planning on just getting a aem v2 cai, but i'd like to get some opinions first.

I'm also planning on buying some dc ceramic headers rather than stainless steel headers... I know the stainless-steel headers would improve performance more than the ceramic, but as this car will be my daily driver, I know that the ceramic will retain heat better, so I'd also like some opinions on that.

And as far as cam-wise, I'm not too sure on what to do... itr cams, ctr cams, gsr cams, skunk 2 cams.... probably a stupid question but still curious.

I'm wanting to buy full ctr exhaust, but I'd like to know if it would be worth the money.

Lastly, i was thinking about a aem fuel rail, but i don't know if it's worth the purchase as well...

Thank you for reading my post and all opinions are welcomed.

-00 civic si

Last edited by 00 civic si; 09-18-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Modding a 2000 Civic Si

Originally Posted by 00 civic si

Welcome, what color is it?

I've researched cai and power chambers but I don't know which would be better, people say they're about the same but cais lag just a bit because of how long the piping is, and also that the sound from a power chamber is a finer sound opposed to a cai. I'm planning on just getting a aem v2 cai, but i'd like to get some opinions first.

Go with an Ebay 3" short ram intake with a blox velocity stack and a K&N filter. you will spend approx. $100 and will WAY outperform anything else i've seen short of ITB's. If you don't believe me, check this for yourself.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/acura-integra-type-r-8/bpi-velocity-stack-comparative-dyno-thread-2231492/

I'm also planning on buying some dc ceramic headers rather than stainless steel headers... I know the stainless-steel headers would improve performance more than the ceramic, but as this car will be my daily driver, I know that the ceramic will retain heat better, so I'd also like some opinions on that.

What are your longterm goals with the car? If you aren't sure i'd hold off yet on buying an expensive header. Or if you do buy a hytech replica header they are around $300 and are an excellent performing header, i've seen big power gains.

And as far as cam-wise, I'm not too sure on what to do... itr cams, ctr cams, gsr cams, skunk 2 cams.... probably a stupid question but still curious.

I'm wanting to buy full ctr exhaust, but I'd like to know if it would be worth the money.

The above two questions also hinge on what your long term goals are really, i'd just hate to see you waste alot of money on things now that you will basically be doing away with if you decide to go a different route, it happens anyway sometimes but planning is important when you have a car that is a project to any extent.

Lastly, i was thinking about a aem fuel rail, but i don't know if it's worth the purchase as well...

This is a waste of money as far as performance goes, it's basically just an engine dress up part unless you are making serious power and have a serious fuel system that requires a higher flowing fuel rail.

-00 civic si
Old 09-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.... Please dont fck this Si up... Keep the mods to a minimum, and whatever you do, do it right the first time.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you want to be fast.
internal work and tuning is the key
Old 09-16-2009, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

-00 civic si

If you live in an area with minimal rain get a full CAI otherwise get a short ram...

The DC header is not a quality piece, has the potential to rust and won't provide worthwhile gains... Save your money up for a good header, it is one of the more worthwhile mods you can do to your car... The material of the header has little effect on the actual performance...

Why the hell do you want a CTR exhaust and not just go with a nice aftermarket system, there are plenty to choose from... Sounds like you have been keying in on too many Honda buzzwords...

I recommend the skunk2 stage 1 cams because they provide gains above and beyond the ITR cams... GSR cams are barely an improvement over the stock cams...

Why do you want an aftermarket fuel rail? The stock fuel system will work fine for all the mods you listed...

Research Research Research my friend... It seems like you still have a lot to learn about your own car and cars in general... This is the best thing you can do right now and its free...

Next is tune tune tune, once you get into things like aftermarket cams, the car will run like garbage without a tune...
Old 09-16-2009, 11:40 AM

It's ebp, i plan on keeping this car as my daily-driver for a long time... I don't intend to track it as a 400+hp beast, but i do want to be able to take gsr's on the streets, not too much i'd think, but thank you for your reply...

-00 Civic Si
Old 09-16-2009, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Arthas
.... Please dont fck this Si up... Keep the mods to a minimum, and whatever you do, do it right the first time.
My brother is a mechanic, everything will be put on right the first time, I'm not planning on modding the internals, just a few bolt-ons(i/h/e etc) I don't know what you mean by fk it up.... I'm not going to try and fit a h22 head onto a b16 block and i'm not going to put a body kit on it or a 747 jet plane-wing so..... but yea, thanks for the response i guess...

-00 Civic Si
Old 09-16-2009, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by tercel95
If you live in an area with minimal rain get a full CAI otherwise get a short ram...

The DC header is not a quality piece, has the potential to rust and won't provide worthwhile gains... Save your money up for a good header, it is one of the more worthwhile mods you can do to your car... The material of the header has little effect on the actual performance...

Why the hell do you want a CTR exhaust and not just go with a nice aftermarket system, there are plenty to choose from... Sounds like you have been keying in on too many Honda buzzwords...

I recommend the skunk2 stage 1 cams because they provide gains above and beyond the ITR cams... GSR cams are barely an improvement over the stock cams...

Why do you want an aftermarket fuel rail? The stock fuel system will work fine for all the mods you listed...

Research Research Research my friend... It seems like you still have a lot to learn about your own car and cars in general... This is the best thing you can do right now and its free...

Next is tune tune tune, once you get into things like aftermarket cams, the car will run like garbage without a tune...
I was researching when i asked that question, I don't plan on working on the internals.... and i didn't know much about the fuel rail, I've been around hondas all my life and i just barely got my car, my license nonetheless... I'm 16, not that it's an excuse but I'm just looking for opinions, i like the apexi ws2 exhaust and the spoon n1 exhaust system, I was just looking for opinions on the ctr exhaust if any one had any experience with it.... But yea i don't live in a rainy-area, so no worries about hydrolock, but supposedly the power chamber has a nicer sound than cai and does virtually the same thing so I don't know, i will "research" more on that, but thank you for your help...

-00 Civic Si
Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First thing is get yourself a nice security system on that thing.....When I purchased mine that was the first thing I bought. Even though that might not keep a theif from stealing it..but it might make them think twice....Just like everyone else...I/H/E...Get some nice parts...they hold up better..
Old 09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, is it safe to assume you live in cali? i am not sure of the laws out there, but i constantly hear people bitching about mods done to their daily driver and how it triggers some sort of ticketing due to CARB or something.

anyway, i suggest an intake (i like long intakes (cold air) due to the tq hump), a nice header, a true high flow cat like the ones that are available through SMSP, an exhaust without a shitty bottle neck flange where it meets the cat and some sort of tuneable ecu, either through swapping to an obd1 ecu like p30/p28 and jumper harness, or something that is a standalone like the apexi power fc (i used one of those for years and LOVED it; real time monitoring, etc)

upgrading the cams is a strong idea too, but i am not sure what's en vogue right now for otherwise stock dohc vtec.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Da4yoA$$
First thing is get yourself a nice security system on that thing.....When I purchased mine that was the first thing I bought. Even though that might not keep a theif from stealing it..but it might make them think twice....Just like everyone else...I/H/E...Get some nice parts...they hold up better..
I already did my brother's db8r got stolen... I learned from his mistakes, I have a viper 2-way page alarm, a club, a clutch lock, i unplug the spark plug wires at night, and i block the car in... Not to mention, no car goes by without me seeing haha...Thank you for the response, em1 all day

-00 Civic Si

Last edited by 00 civic si; 09-16-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by builthatch
OP, is it safe to assume you live in cali? i am not sure of the laws out there, but i constantly hear people bitching about mods done to their daily driver and how it triggers some sort of ticketing due to CARB or something.

anyway, i suggest an intake (i like long intakes (cold air) due to the tq hump), a nice header, a true high flow cat like the ones that are available through SMSP, an exhaust without a shitty bottle neck flange where it meets the cat and some sort of tuneable ecu, either through swapping to an obd1 ecu like p30/p28 and jumper harness, or something that is a standalone like the apexi power fc (i used one of those for years and LOVED it; real time monitoring, etc)

upgrading the cams is a strong idea too, but i am not sure what's en vogue right now for otherwise stock dohc vtec.
Thanks, yea... for some reason I've been leaning toward a cai... don't know why lol... Yes i do live in southern cali... it is illegal to modify anything in the engine bay such as intake and headers, although my dad is a sheriff and whenever my brother had gotten pulled over the seemed to let him off the hook so I'm not really trippin... as far ticketing, I believe all they'll do is give me a fix-it ticket, so not a big deal assuming i even get a ticket...

Now about the chipped ecu... I've been told that i should wait until I'm finished modding the engine before i put one on, as it is supposed to be one of the final additions, and I'm not too sure if i will add anything else in the future, so I'll probably hold off on that for now, but thank you very much for the info... I appreciate the response.

-00 Civic Si
Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

before modding the SI out, but a shotgun, it is your best friend, i'd rather lose a windsheild shooting at the guy inside my car instead of losing the whole car.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, yea... for some reason I've been leaning toward a cai... don't know why lol... Yes i do live in southern cali... it is illegal to modify anything in the engine bay such as intake and headers, although my dad is a sheriff and whenever my brother had gotten pulled over the seemed to let him off the hook so I'm not really trippin... as far ticketing, I believe all they'll do is give me a fix-it ticket, so not a big deal assuming i even get a ticket...

Now about the chipped ecu... I've been told that i should wait until I'm finished modding the engine before i put one on, as it is supposed to be one of the final additions, and I'm not too sure if i will add anything else in the future, so I'll probably hold off on that for now, but thank you very much for the info... I appreciate the response.

-00 Civic Si
get a chipped ecu.....and find someone that is a good street tuner.....when you start puttint the mods, you are currently running a STOCK ecu( meaning it is programmed to run a COMPLETELY stock b16a2)..the mods start messing up ur timing, wasting more gas, etc... if each mod u do a lil street tune, your car will run harder but blow with the extra mods your adding...

street tune it temporarily to get you around.......when you get all your mods, you may wanna do a dyno tune to see where you are at and have a good *** tune with it........
Old 09-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by redlinexd
before modding the SI out, but a shotgun, it is your best friend, i'd rather lose a windsheild shooting at the guy inside my car instead of losing the whole car.
Ahahaha true that
Old 09-17-2009, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by slammed em1
get a chipped ecu.....and find someone that is a good street tuner.....when you start puttint the mods, you are currently running a STOCK ecu( meaning it is programmed to run a COMPLETELY stock b16a2)..the mods start messing up ur timing, wasting more gas, etc... if each mod u do a lil street tune, your car will run harder but blow with the extra mods your adding...

street tune it temporarily to get you around.......when you get all your mods, you may wanna do a dyno tune to see where you are at and have a good *** tune with it........
makes sense... I guess i will get a ecu then, too...
Appreciate the info, thanks.

-00 Civic Si
Old 09-17-2009, 01:30 PM

I'm actually trying to do the same thing to my em1.

What would be a good ecu to get?
Old 09-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do it right the first time and dont go cheap. figure out what your plans/goals are and do alot of research. decide if you want to be NA or boosted. there are pros and cons that come with both.

buy everything you need and then install it all at one time and make sure you get tuned properly-hondata s300-the first time. always keep in mind that this kind of thing is not inexpensive. you have to pay to play.

goodluck.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 PM

get an alarm, make sure the car is running properly. when i got my SI the first mods i did to the car were out of necessity like a clutch, then rotors, pads, steel braided brake lines. every problem was an excuse to upgrade. keep it clean and safe from thieves.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:27 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure what the laws of modding are like in Cali, but here's my opinion.....

Don't waste your time with the usual CAI, and question as to wether you really want a header. The intake has obvious risks with water, and can be anoying on throttle...it only makes like 5hp. The header looks nice and saves some weight, but don't expect it to make power on a B16A, average power made in test have shown a zero to one hp gain.

Now, how to actually "make" some power, get what you pay for!! Find yourself a B18C short block. The hp and tq will be well worth the gains.
Also, consider a quality brand, camshaft upgrade, once again, good power can be made with these!

Some things to think about
Old 09-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an EM1 as well and have a short ram intake on mine. I'm actually looking for someone to trade the stock air box system for as I want to take mine back to stock. If you are interested in a trade let me know.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
I have an EM1 as well and have a short ram intake on mine. I'm actually looking for someone to trade the stock air box system for as I want to take mine back to stock. If you are interested in a trade let me know.
yeah me too, wish i would have bought a spoon direct pipe and a drop-in filter.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Arith7
I'm actually trying to do the same thing to my em1.

What would be a good ecu to get?
p28 chipped ecu is popular... that's what i'm going to get.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by THE LORD OF CHAOS
do it right the first time and dont go cheap. figure out what your plans/goals are and do alot of research. decide if you want to be NA or boosted. there are pros and cons that come with both.

buy everything you need and then install it all at one time and make sure you get tuned properly-hondata s300-the first time. always keep in mind that this kind of thing is not inexpensive. you have to pay to play.

goodluck.
yea, i'm keeping my si na.
thank you for the help.

-00 Civic Si
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Deetz
I'm not sure what the laws of modding are like in Cali, but here's my opinion.....

Don't waste your time with the usual CAI, and question as to wether you really want a header. The intake has obvious risks with water, and can be anoying on throttle...it only makes like 5hp. The header looks nice and saves some weight, but don't expect it to make power on a B16A, average power made in test have shown a zero to one hp gain.

Now, how to actually "make" some power, get what you pay for!! Find yourself a B18C short block. The hp and tq will be well worth the gains.
Also, consider a quality brand, camshaft upgrade, once again, good power can be made with these!

Some things to think about
hm, well maybe i might go with a power chamber intake... I've researched cais and power chambers, but i guess i'll need to do some more, and yea i do want headers, not questioning wether or not i want them, just trying to figure out a brand. I'll start looking at cams and what a b18c block can do for my b16. I appreciate all the information, it's been much appreciated.

-00 Civic Si

Quick Reply: Modding a 2000 Civic Si