Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Mobil1 0w30 Advanced Fuel Economy (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/mobil1-0w30-advanced-fuel-economy-2920082/)

johnjohn316 04-06-2011 02:14 PM

Mobil1 0w30 Advanced Fuel Economy

I happened to run across this formula/oil Mobil1 Advance Fuel Economy Fully Synthetic for vehicles that run 5w30 and 10w30. Supposibly you're to get better gas mileage but I wonder if you will get the same performance. I can only think that you would because the oil grade is thinner and synthetic and compatible with 5w30 engines. I drive an 00 civic si (b16a2) and I'd like to hear some input into those who have tried this oil blend. Did you get better performance? Better gas mileage? Pros and cons. I'm very tempted to try it but I want to do more research before I actually do. I am currently using mobil1 fully synthetic 5w30.

tlarimer 04-06-2011 04:19 PM

Re: Mobil1 0w30 Advanced Fuel Economy

I run it in my 99 Civic Lx D16Y7 with 220K miles, maybe 0.5 mpg increase on average, but for the same price as 5W-30, I use it since it's my DD.

94eg! 04-06-2011 08:11 PM

I've just tried the stuff in my B18C-R. I didn't really notice any difference from M1 5w30 though. Aside from the claims of increased mileage, there are other benefits. The 0w oil will flow better at startup protecting the engine sooner than other oils. And since it starts out thinner at startup, it will begin protecting sooner as the oil heats up (all oil thins as it warms up). This is especially beneficial if you make lots of short trips.

If price is not a problem, you should also look for German made Castrol Synthetic in 0w30 (says Euro formula). This stuff is still under the older SM rating which means it has lots of the high-pressure anti-wear additives that the EPA is trying to get rid of. It does cost $7/qt though.

For anybody interested in 0w synthetic oils, just read the Oil-101 article right on the main page of bobistheoilguy.com.

johnjohn316 04-07-2011 12:53 PM

Thanks I'll definitley look more into this. This sure does help.

bujeezus 04-07-2011 01:21 PM

so what exactly is the point of producing 5w, 10w etc? wouldn't 0w just be better? never understood that.

94eg! 04-07-2011 02:46 PM

because it sells... ;)

BryanM. 04-07-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by bujeezus (Post 45029493)
so what exactly is the point of producing 5w, 10w etc? wouldn't 0w just be better? never understood that.

Oils with a wide viscosity range (0w-30) will not maintain that range as breakdown of the oil advances over time, compared to oils with a more narrow viscosity range (10w-30).

Read that on the oil guy's site I think.

94eg! 04-07-2011 05:16 PM

That's only true for non synthetic. They must use viscosity index improvers to make the thinner 5-grade or 10-grade base oil start acting as a 30-grade when it heats up. These break down over time which causes the oil to thin out when it's hot (if you could possibly run it that long to allow that to happen).

With synthetic, the base stock is engineered to perform at the desired viscosity at the desired temp making a true multi viscosity oil. These oils won't break down over time. They will however loose their additives over time making your engine subject oxidation, sludge, and wear in high pressure areas. Of course conventional oils experiene the same issue as well.

The real problem with running your oil too long is found in the natural thickening of oils after exposure to cold temps. This is why it's recommended to at least change your oil every spring (w/ synthetic) regardless of time. Oil forms permenent waxes when sitting in the cold and this causes the thickening. This is also why it's not recommended to stock up on oil and store it in your garage. It can/will go bad just sitting on the shelf out in the cold.

mavvrik 04-07-2011 05:58 PM

You better make sure you dont live in a climate that gets anything below 0 degrees in the winter otherwise you'll come out to a car with frozen oil in the motor

0W can be good, especially for boosted motors, but because its a 0W that means that anything under 0 degrees(-1 and lower) Fahrenheit will cause the oil to freeze if it sits in that temperature

94eg! 04-07-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by mavvrik (Post 45031176)
You better make sure you dont live in a climate that gets anything below 0 degrees in the winter otherwise you'll come out to a car with frozen oil in the motor

0W can be good, especially for boosted motors, but because its a 0W that means that anything under 0 degrees(-1 and lower) Fahrenheit will cause the oil to freeze if it sits in that temperature

lolwut! That's not what it means...

It means it acts like a 0 weight oil at freezing (0* celcius), and a 30 weight oil at 100* celcius (operating temp). The W means its rated and tested by a specific SAE system for grading multiweight oils (it doesn't mean "winter").

The lower the first number, the less viscous (thinner) the oil will be at subzero temperatures. That means, it doesn't freeze (lower is better).