Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Missing/Stumbling issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing/Stumbling issue

Well about two weeks ago I was driving (99 Civic Si) and all of a sudden the car quit and wouldn't start. I got out started checking the usual and couldn't find anything wrong right off the bat. About 5 min later it cranked right up and ran fine. I thought it was sort of odd, but seemed to work fine.

Now about 5 days ago I was driving home from work (1hr 15min drive) and close to home it was like hitting a brick wall. RPM's started dropping and car wasn't going anywhere. Took it out of gear (didn't quit) and waited a couple seconds and put it back in gear and then went on like no ones business.

Now two days ago I was on my way to work and it did it again. Same thing took it out of gear and waited a few seconds and went right along. I was thinking clutch slipping at first for some reason as it seems it only happens when the rpms are higher (around 4k) each time.

The next day I decide if it does it again I'm going to just keep on it and see what happens. It did it again that morning (yesterday) and when I just kept it in gear and gas pressed the car had a stuttering feeling and then died. Put it in gear after a couple of sec (I was doing about 65) and let out on the clutch and it started up and drove on to work.

I know think it maybe an ignition issue. I checked the wires and they look good. I just bought the car about 2 months ago so no idea when they were replaced but look pretty new. The dizzy cap looked fairly new also with just a little white and gray corrosion on the points (which I sanded off clean and smooth). The dizzy rotor had some white residue also with a little black spot that I sanded off and cleaned, but it looked semi decent also.

It seems to only happen after I have been driving the car for awhile, so I might have to wait till Mon to see if that solved anything. Any other ideas you guys can think of?