Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

missing 1st, 2nd, and reverse. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing 1st, 2nd, and reverse. HELP!

Just swapped a jdm b18 type r into my EK coupe. when i test drive it, my 1st and 2nd gear dont do anything. but when i throw it into 3rd gear. it feels like 1st gear. same with 4th = 2nd gear, 5th = 3rd and where reverse is, its 4th gear. im guessing its the selector rod thing out of the transmission. if so, how do i fix it?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: missing 1st, 2nd, and reverse. HELP!

I would check the installation of the shift linkages. I have never heard of the shift selector fork inside the transmission doing anything like that before. Where did you buy the swap? Do you know if this problem existed before you bought the swap?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:50 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by anothersickhatch
I would check the installation of the shift linkages. I have never heard of the shift selector fork inside the transmission doing anything like that before. Where did you buy the swap? Do you know if this problem existed before you bought the swap?
I actually just dealt with this problem when I did my transmission overhaul. It does happen.

First thing you need to do is drop your shift linkage. FULLY drop it. Make sure your transmission is in neutral, and reinstall the shift linkage properly.

If that doesn't solve the problem, your next step is to drop the transmission. Leave the shift linkage fully attached to the transmission this time. Inside the bell housing, you'll see a metal bolt with a hex key head on it. It's called the shift linkage actuator arm retainer, if I remember correctly. Remove that bolt. Now shift through the gears. Do they all feel like they're there? If they don't, you need to disassemble the transmission, because somebody messed it up when they overhauled it. If they do, it's because someone didn't shim that bolt correctly. Slowly start reinserting that bolt until you reach the point that you no longer have all 6 gears. Measure the distance between the housing and the bottom of the head, and get a shim that thickness.

Then you'll have to make sure your bolt/pressure plate clearance is ok. Put the transmission back on the car, and start it. If you hear a grinding noise, take the transmission off again and look at the head of the bolt. If you see any scratching, scoring, or grooving, take a dremel or sanding wheel to it and shave some thickness off the head.

It's a pain in the ***, but it comes with the territory of overhauling a transmission. Most people don't even think about it. I learned the hard way.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by anothersickhatch
shift linkage is in properly. thats why i was suprised. i got the swap from Osaka JDM in montreal. BTW i do not reccomend getting an engine from them. they promised all the mounts and uncut harness and i only recieved the driver side mount and the transmission torque bracket. of course the engine harness was cut.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm, Osaka used to be a good company. Have you tried to contact them about the mounts and harness? Also, did you get a new shift linkage and idler arm to match the B series tranny, or are you reusing your D series linkage bars? Let's see if we can un**** this before you have to drop the tranny.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
I actually just dealt with this problem when I did my transmission overhaul. It does happen.

First thing you need to do is drop your shift linkage. FULLY drop it. Make sure your transmission is in neutral, and reinstall the shift linkage properly.

If that doesn't solve the problem, your next step is to drop the transmission. Leave the shift linkage fully attached to the transmission this time. Inside the bell housing, you'll see a metal bolt with a hex key head on it. It's called the shift linkage actuator arm retainer, if I remember correctly. Remove that bolt. Now shift through the gears. Do they all feel like they're there? If they don't, you need to disassemble the transmission, because somebody messed it up when they overhauled it. If they do, it's because someone didn't shim that bolt correctly. Slowly start reinserting that bolt until you reach the point that you no longer have all 6 gears. Measure the distance between the housing and the bottom of the head, and get a shim that thickness.

Then you'll have to make sure your bolt/pressure plate clearance is ok. Put the transmission back on the car, and start it. If you hear a grinding noise, take the transmission off again and look at the head of the bolt. If you see any scratching, scoring, or grooving, take a dremel or sanding wheel to it and shave some thickness off the head.

It's a pain in the ***, but it comes with the territory of overhauling a transmission. Most people don't even think about it. I learned the hard way.
I appreciate the help man. I REALLY hope that i dont have to do all that. i'll keep ya posted on what goes on with that. im gonna try and reinstall the shift linkage properly. if not, then ill be without the car for another day or two =(
Old 05-16-2012, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, Osaka used to be a good company. Have you tried to contact them about the mounts and harness? Also, did you get a new shift linkage and idler arm to match the B series tranny, or are you reusing your D series linkage bars? Let's see if we can un**** this before you have to drop the tranny.
Thats the whole reason why i got it from them, because ive been told from people that theyre good. but this will be probably be the last time i buy a used engine. tired of running into all these problems.....im getting another wrx! haha but yeah man i used the shift linkage that they gave me with the swap. idler arm? you mean the rod that attatches to the side of the transmission?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It makes no difference at all what gear the transmission is in when you install the linkage, none.

It's called an "interlock guide bolt" and it's not meant to be shimmed. You can screw up the shift mechanism by not having everything lined up and then putting the bolt in bending the shift mechanism though.

You should never have to grind anything off pressure plate bolts or the interlock guide bolt, if you do there's something wrong.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same prob with my ctr swap in my 95ej . It turns out I dident have the bitch pin in the hole of the linkage. I dident slide the rod ALL THE WAY ON it looked like I did but it was out too far,,, as soon as I drilled out that pin, made sure the holes lined up and installed, everything was smooth... Just double check that cause sometimes it moves on u while your tapping that pin in
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95ctrs
I had the same prob with my ctr swap in my 95ej . It turns out I dident have the bitch pin in the hole of the linkage. I dident slide the rod ALL THE WAY ON it looked like I did but it was out too far,,, as soon as I drilled out that pin, made sure the holes lined up and installed, everything was smooth... Just double check that cause sometimes it moves on u while your tapping that pin in
I think there might be a problem inside of the transmission. because the linkage didint have a pin. i just used a nut and bolt with threadlock to secure it. is it possible that, in the process of installing it, the rod from the transmission shifted/rotated/whatever, and when i put the linkage on....lol i dunno guys. ill take a pic and show you what it looks like!
Old 05-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by sohcboost06
is it possible that, in the process of installing it, the rod from the transmission shifted/rotated/whatever, and when i put the linkage on...
No, but using a bolt will make the shifter pretty sloppy.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sohcboost06
I think there might be a problem inside of the transmission. because the linkage didint have a pin. i just used a nut and bolt with threadlock to secure it. is it possible that, in the process of installing it, the rod from the transmission shifted/rotated/whatever, and when i put the linkage on....lol i dunno guys. ill take a pic and show you what it looks like!
you definatley need the pin you gotta order from honda,,, this is probably your problem,,,the tolerances are so tight.. i don't think its anything inside the tranny....
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

overnighted the pin. so all i got to do is tap it in lightly? sorry for all the questions. just want to be sure. I was also told that the shift linkage might be upside down? pretty sure its not....
Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Seagull Management

You'll need to hammer the pin in, new ones especially will start pretty hard sometimes.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, i recieved the roll pin today from honda. before i installed it, i took a picture of how the linkage looked. i installed the pin and SAME thing happened. therefore i think it is a problem within the transmission. no clue what to do now. is there anyone else who has experienced the same exact problem? i also noticed that there is red silicone all over the transmission as if someone has opened it up before....
Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry about that i should have re-sized the photos
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sooo did this fix your problem?
Old 05-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nah man its an internal problem. im still in the pocess of getting things straightened out with Osaka jdm. i know for sure its not a linkage/fitment issue. i took the linkage off and manually shifted the tranny in 1st and the same **** happend