Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

misfiring+unstable idle. . . pls help

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default misfiring+unstable idle. . . pls help

On the way home from work last night, the car started up fine and drove fine all the way til i got off of the highway. As i exited of the ramp the car began to bog and make a poping sound... so as i slowed down to a stop i also realized the idle was very low to the point where it felt as if it was about to die on me but it didn't. . . just continued to bog til i got home, so when i got home i took a look under the hood to see if there was any oil or weird smells. but nothing....
the car is a 93 si with a stock d16z6
recently did a tune up
oil, oil filter, plugs, wires, rear main seal gasket, vtec solenoid gasket, distributor o-ring, coolant flush, thermostat and heater hose all replaced.
This was all done about two weeks ago and i have been driving the car since with no problems at all.
im thinking maybe my plugs are to blame because i got some cheap ones or maybe the fuel filter because i didnt change that yet. i just dont understand how the car can run exceptionaly well on the highway and have a complete turnaround in such a short amount of time.... Any of your guys input would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

make sure all of your plug wires are secured on the distributor. if one is loose that cylinder's spark plug will not fire. that would probably be the first thing i checked. it shouldn't be your fuel filter, it wouldn't just start to bog all of a sudden like that. when's the last time you had your cap and rotor replaced??
Old 07-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (na+b18c_hatch)

cap and rotor replaced? bought car from a friend he said it was replaced 2 years ago. . .
Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TeGGY_LS)

ok, and how many miles has the car seen since then?? could be time for a new cap and rotor. did you check the plug wires. sometimes when less experienced people do plugs/wires, they dont put secure the plug wires well enough on the distributor, and they work themselves loose after some driving..
Old 07-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had, and now once again have the same problem. Before I bought this car it was sitting for about 5 months and wouldnt start for anything and we finally got it to start though, once it started up i let it run and the next day changed the plugs, timing belt,water pump, crank seal and cam seal all belts, alternator (it was bad), oil, valve cover gasket and grommets. The other day I changed the spark plugs and it went away and now it came back again. I also changed the fuel filter also and nothing. so I am going to change the plugs/cap and rotor and see if that helps any..im also going to put some more expensive spark plugs in and see what that does.

If you find out what it is, please let me know! Goodluck!
Old 07-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96civicexrican)

yea its funny because this car was sitting in the garage for about a year and half. . . and it seems like your car was stored as too for some time. . . the thing is i recently been driving the car here and there for the past 2 months and its been running good, other then oil leaks that already have been fixed . .but the fact that both cars have been sitting, i dont know if that has anything to do with it, i think another thing u can look at though is a bad o2 sensor....

PS i also forgot to say that i do not have any CEL's on......hmmm
Old 07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeGGY_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i think another thing u can look at though is a bad o2 sensor....

PS i also forgot to say that i do not have any CEL's on......hmmm</TD></TR></TABLE>

chances are, if you had a bad o2 sensor, you WOULD have a check engine light.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by na+b18c_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

chances are, if you had a bad o2 sensor, you WOULD have a check engine light. </TD></TR></TABLE>

good point. . . just getting desperate for solutions, but i will go ahead and replace the distributor... all the searching here on "misfiring" seems to point to the distributor
Old 07-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Distributor? Hell no LOL. Thats an expensive piece here where I live, I'd be lucky to find one ANYWHERE close by anyways....I am gonna go ahead and do what I mentioned above and see what that does. If you dont mind, please let me know how changing the distributor changes anything or does'nt and I will do the same once I change everything. I have a 94 hatch Dx, so if you come across a dizzy for cheap then let me know . Peace and Goodluck
Old 07-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96civicexrican &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Distributor? Hell no LOL. Thats an expensive piece here where I live, I'd be lucky to find one ANYWHERE close by anyways....I am gonna go ahead and do what I mentioned above and see what that does. If you dont mind, please let me know how changing the distributor changes anything or does'nt and I will do the same once I change everything. I have a 94 hatch Dx, so if you come across a dizzy for cheap then let me know . Peace and Goodluck </TD></TR></TABLE>

any big junkyards near you? thats your best bet to get a used distributor for cheap(er than new or reman). Other than that, if you car ran well with the spark plugs you have in there for a couple of weeks, it wouldn't just all of a sudden start running badly because of the spark plugs. but double check your wires, coil towers, and distributor cap seal. if you can, (while running) spray some water or brake cleaner on/around your distributor and plug wires to see if you can pinpoint a problem.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

found the what was wrong. . . it turned out that one of the ignition wires poped and was lost its connection with the spark plug... but for some reason it keeps poping out, ill press it back in and couple miles later it starts misfiring and i need to push the thing back in.... anyway im about to order a set of ngk ignition wires and hope that solves the problem. . . any of you guys happen to know the part# for the set i need....93 civic si, stock d16z6.... thanks
Old 07-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Let me know if that works. I have yet to switch out all my wires and all that because I have been way too busy but i will definitely do it asap. I will let you know if my experiment works and hope you do the same.

Does it matter if i get regular plugs and wires from autozone or should i just get NGK plugs and wires? Is there a huge price difference? Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TeGGY_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">found the what was wrong. . . it turned out that one of the ignition wires poped and was lost its connection with the spark plug... but for some reason it keeps poping out, ill press it back in and couple miles later it starts misfiring and i need to push the thing back in.... anyway im about to order a set of ngk ignition wires and hope that solves the problem. . . any of you guys happen to know the part# for the set i need....93 civic si, stock d16z6.... thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

man i had a feeling it was an ignition problem, it just sounded like an ignition wire.

to check the part number, i would try this site:

http://www.myhondapartsstore.com
Old 07-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

any update?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the actual problem was oil leaked into the spark plug chamber and it caused the wire to pop out of the chamber, because when i changed out the valve cover gasket, i was too lazy to change the spark plug seals. so this time i sucked it up and changed those out and now the wires dont pop out anymore.... seemed to have solved the problem. The only thing now is the car got really loud, which really perplexes me. The only reasoning i can come up with is that the excessive misfiring caused the exhaust to go bad? does anyone have other input on this?

96civicexican... i bought the autozone "duralast" spark plug wires and champion spark plugs and thats when my problems began... even though the duralast plugs will work, the fitment into the dizzy and onto the sparkplug chamber isnt too snug... so i ended up ordering the ngk wires. so if i was you just get the ngk wires with ngk plugs..

Modified by TeGGY_LS at 3:49 PM 7/21/2008

Modified by TeGGY_LS at 3:53 PM 7/21/2008

Modified by TeGGY_LS at 3:55 PM 7/21/2008