Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MISFIRE fixed after rebuild caused by crazy problem...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MISFIRE fixed after rebuild caused by crazy problem...

So i had a thread up describing a misfire i was having in my #2 cylinder. I had tested both compression and leakdown at TDC of compression with great results, i noid tested the injector connector along with swap injectors and i tested the spark with a spare plug in the wire and also swapped ignition components. After beating my head against the wall it was time to crack her back open.

I started with pulling the valve cover and a general visual inspection. All was well. I then decided i might as well bust out another valve adjustment on that cylinder to check that. Exhaust checked out good, but the intake got interesting.

I loosened the adjustment all the way yet still couldnt get my .006 in there. I then started fidgeting with the lifters and found they werent independent but instead were all attached, i knew that wasnt right. I pulled the cam oil sprayers and popped the cam loose and pulled the cyl #1 and #2 rocker sets out. I then noticed something very wrong.

On the secondary rocker arm is where the spring controlled piston is for Vtec, it was stuck closed. So basically, when Vtec engages it locks this piston from the middle rocker into this one to lock them together, well this was happening permanently and that valve was opening as if it was in Vtec. I suppose the Vtec lobe creates a situation of excessive valve overlap or something of the sort, some situation where it will only continue to run under high load/RPM, not idle.

We popped that piston loose and it moved fine. We threw it back together and now she purrs like a kitten and drove fantastic for about 30 miles so far. I just have an issue now with code 17, vehicle speed sensor and my speedo goes out. Time to work on that, but im sooo relieved this misfire is gone.

I started a new thread in hopes that if someone has a similair problem, they dont have to dig around on the car for hours on end.

Thanks for the help guys
Dan
Old 05-31-2006, 02:44 PM

Default Re: MISFIRE fixed after rebuild caused by crazy problem... (ChillOutWayne)

The speedo problem has been fixed

there was coolant in the connector

All cleaned out and all is well
Old 05-31-2006, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: MISFIRE fixed after rebuild caused by crazy problem... (ChillOutWayne)

nice I like to hear the positive results of people fixing there car on here, it also creates good information to know and search for, goodluck
Old 05-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MISFIRE fixed after rebuild caused by crazy problem... (sicones)

Glad to hear shes back to 100%
Old 05-31-2006, 04:31 PM

Default Re: MISFIRE fixed after rebuild caused by crazy problem... (Slamaccord)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slamaccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Glad to hear shes back to 100% </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks guys