Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

mis-adventures of my cam install

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default mis-adventures of my cam install

ok- over the weekend i brought my car in to get a my head swapped with a head that i had milled,tanked and 3 angle cut. inside the new head i had skunk st1 cam and str camgear. while trying to set valve lashes after the new head had been bolted down to the block, something interesting comes up. the cam will not turn because the lobes hit the inside of the head! (in more than one spot). i had the stock cam put back in until i could figure out what is goin on. then the skunk cam was placed in the old head i have and it turns, but comes sooo close to hitting. i guess my option now is to take the head back off and bring it to a machine shop to get iit shaved in the spots where the cam hits. im real pissed, cause it was a stretch to get money to have it put in, and i definatlely dont have money to take it off and get it machined. yea, im blabbling but im like pissed. i guess i just picked the wrong head to do this to. what do u guys think? did honda make a shitty head?oh yea- the motor is d16z6.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: mis-adventures of my cam install (blackeg)

no shmappy, your OPTION is to stop yapping and get a damn turbo like we want u to u mook
Old 12-23-2003, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: mis-adventures of my cam install (myflysi)

so... from your info, the skunk 2 cam doesn't fit WELL into the z6 head? or, does it actually hit the head? this will be some real important info for alot of people!

dont blame honda, you might want to give a phone call to skunk 2
Old 12-29-2003, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mis-adventures of my cam install (jdmsiR20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmsiR20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so... from your info, the skunk 2 cam doesn't fit WELL into the z6 head? or, does it actually hit the head? this will be some real important info for alot of people!

dont blame honda, you might want to give a phone call to skunk 2</TD></TR></TABLE>
it actually made contact with the head. i have 2 heads, and the one that i had worked a little it made contact with. in the other head, the cam fit and spun freely, but it was very close to making contact. i actually talked to skunk2 and they said that i was the 2nd person to have the problem. both skunk2 and my mechanic concluded that it was a casting imperfection with that one head.. it was prolly made on friday or something
Old 12-30-2003, 02:28 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: mis-adventures of my cam install (blackeg)

crower SOHC VTEC stage 3 needs to have the head "clearanced" to clear the lobes.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mis-adventures of my cam install (Mista Bone)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mista Bone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">crower SOHC VTEC stage 3 needs to have the head "clearanced" to clear the lobes.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ive heard that this proceedure was needed to be done with some very aggressive cams, but with a skunk2 stage 1???? this thing better have some good gains