Mini me, Tuning, and Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:47 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini me, Tuning, and Emissions

Hi everyone
Long time viewer, first time caller.

99 coupe, non vtec, OBD2. Going to mini me, delta regind cam (nothing too wild) and tune. Canz I tunez with safc for 100s of horsepowers???!?

Haha, sorry....I read alot of these....

Anyways, my real question is for someone who either has the same set up or some sort of real experience (not speculation by teh noobs):

Swap to OBD1 and chip; our emissions testing here requires OBD2 compliance. I figure easiest is to just swap the stock ecu back in, set monitors, and test. I figure the cam will make it run like a bag of dicks, but is it going to be relatively ok?

Would hate to find out that I have to swap cams and ecu's every two years...

Not interested in debate's about merits of a D over swapping in other motors, turbos, etc...
Old 04-08-2014, 01:57 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Mini me, Tuning, and Emissions

When you go in for emissions, put your non-VTEC ECU in and use that to set readiness monitors because usually on a 99, they'll allow it to pass with 2 readiness monitors not ready (1 not ready for 01+).

The DX ECU is optimal for emissions because there's no knock sensors on it which can open up the possibility of throwing codes, there's no EGR monitor (HX only I suppose), and there's no EVAP monitor either (HX/EX/Si), so the only thing you'll have to get ready is the O2 heater which will set it's readiness about 5 minutes after starting the car from a cold start. If for some reason your state has decided that all readiness monitors or all but 1 readiness monitors have set, then you can get it ready by a simple 5-10 minute drive on the freeway. The cam probably isn't going to be much of a problem because the drive cycle isn't likely going to set a code.(if it does set a code, it'd probably be P0171, but that would take a LONG drive to set)
Old 04-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Trial User

Perfect; I am up in the cold white north, our emission standards are the same; the 99 does allow me 2 monitors not set.

Again, biggest concern was un-tuned running of the vehicle.

Thanks, time to braaap without worry!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Depends on the state, please tell us where? In Virginia I had to have all monitors up and running for my 96 I believe. Why not just run the d16Y8 ECU? I am not sure if an aftermarket cam will mess with that one.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:33 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The prob with running the DX ECU is that it looks for a 3 wire IACV while pretty much every other one looks for a two wire so it'll automatically throw a code and run like crap. Better to buy a P2P from a 99-00 EX and do it that way. You'll have to extend your secondary 02 and place it in location or it'll throw a code for that as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:27 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

P2P on a mini me will give him an additional readiness monitor for EVAP which will require him to drive for 1-3 drive cycles for the readiness monitor to set. If you go this route, I would suggest a cold start followed by a few short WOT bursts to set the O2 monitor.

Rather than doing that though, you could always use your Y7 throttle body on your Y8/Z6 head and then use the DX ECU. Passing emissions with a DX ECU in a program that allows 2 not ready is as easy as driving to emissions station, clearing codes in the parking lot if you have any, driving into the emissions bay and passing with the O2 heater monitor ready. Because you only have three readiness monitors on that ECU (O2 heater, O2 sensor, Catalytic converter) and the fact that O2 heater gets ready within a minute of starting, you should pass without a hitch.

As an emissions tech, if I knew the owner of the car and it was a DX or 96-97 Integra, I'd clear the code while typing in the car's VIN & Plate number and it'd usually be ready to pass by the time I was done testing the gas cap.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:56 PM
Trial User

Car is a DX, so I'll just make sure to not throw out the ECU I'll just swap the TB as suggested...Sounds like the easiest route.

Thanks again!
Old 04-09-2014, 06:36 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

You're going to have to possibly "tap" in the additional 2 wire IACV and leave your existing 3 wire wiring as your DX ecu won't run with the 2 wire an vice versa. Same deal at the ecu as well with the wiring there as well.