Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini Me Swap trouble!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Me Swap trouble!!!!

Ok, here's the situation, i've recently swapped a d16y8 (EX VTEC) cylinder head onto my d16y7 and i dont' think vtec is working. Im if'y about it, im not sure its vtec or not, so i just want to be positive its actually vtec or not. it's a '99 civic w/ ALL '99 Civic parts i.e. EX wire harness, head, intake mani, exhaust mani...etc. How would i know VTEC is actually working? i know its not like a b16 or any DOHC vtec motor to be able to feel and hear the vtec engaging. Does my mini-me setup require me to tap an oil pressure line for the vtec head?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Mini Me Swap trouble!!!! (ek9 ferio)

right behind the top left coner of the head is the v-tec solenoid ...if there is one its a v-tec if not....to test to see if it works ebay has those v-tec light indicator that lights up when v-tec kicks in or you can just do one your self. i'm not sure how to make one but it shouldn't be hard... just ask around.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Mini Me Swap trouble!!!! (chue_li)

but does know if my mini-me setup require me to tap an oil pressure line for the vtec head?
Old 03-09-2004, 07:41 PM

Even with a SOHC you can still hear and feel VTEC, but its very small. You gotta listen carefully. If you have any check engine lights then VTEC wont work. A good way to see if it is working is disconnect the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) VTEC will not work unless you have a chipped ECU which I am guessing you dont. Go for a run and see if you feel a differnece, If you do then your VTEC was working, If you dont then it probably wasnt. Hope this helps you.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek9 ferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a '99 civic w/ ALL '99 Civic parts i.e. EX wire harness, head, intake mani, exhaust mani...etc. </TD></TR></TABLE>

etc, means you have the ecu too, i hope/think? unplug the vtec oil pressure plug, you should get a CEL, and if you plug it in and theres no CEL it should be working.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Mini Me Swap trouble!!!! (Br1anPham)

i did this swap personally and you dont have to tap lines, you just have to wire it up correctly and get the timing right on, as for vtec not working when a cel is on that is false, my vtec works even though my knock sensor isnt hooked up, make sure you have the p2p ecu as well
Old 03-09-2004, 08:02 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

etc, means you have the ecu too, i hope/think? unplug the vtec oil pressure plug, you should get a CEL, and if you plug it in and theres no CEL it should be working.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yea i have the ex 5spd ecu as well. the only CEL i have is that bullshit secondary o2 sensor. i've jumped the ecu for codes n thats the only one its showing, i even have the OBD2 scanner, n it displays the code after resetting the ecu. Vtec requires atleast ONE o2 to be plugged in, a working tach, speedo., Knock sensor, and i believe the Coolant temp. sensor. i have a minor prob. my exhaust kinda too loud to tell if vtec is workin' n my N1 hated the silencer it spitted that sucker out the exhaust on the highway, b/c the bolt got loose, so i lost it like 2 yrs ago since i've had it. but far as everything else, i don't have to tap an oil like correct, b/c i know for sure LS vtec u do.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:13 PM

nope no oil line. All i have is a short ram intake on my minime and i hear vtec kickin at about 5300ish.. i think if you try to listen for a tone change carefully you can spot it.

edit:: on my block, a eg dx (d15b7) there was a oil jet i had to take out of my block, it was between cylinder 2 and 3. but i dont kno if this applies to you.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Br1anPham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">edit:: on my block, a eg dx (d15b7) there was a oil jet i had to take out of my block, it was between cylinder 2 and 3. but i dont kno if this applies to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, i printed that entire link n based my mini me swap by that. I didn't have that oil jet spray deal between cylinders 2 and 3. so im guessing 96-00 doesn't have it. but there is a indention that it would be there, but its all smooth on the block. i believe my vtec works b/c u quoted earlier that ur vtec knocks in around 5,300, That's when i notice my tach needle move a bit faster. I dont' really hear anything, but i just got an idea off of that. Im gonna take out my cold air tomorrow n run it on as a short ram, n maybe its gonna make it noticeable..thanks bro

Modified by ek9 ferio at 5:39 AM 3/10/2004
Old 03-09-2004, 08:25 PM

no problem. good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sometimes you cant hear vtec when its cold outside, especially sohc vtec, that might be it also
Old 03-09-2004, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i did the minime and yeah it isnt a very noticeable pitch change. I mean my buddies h22 lude, now you cn hear the vtec kick on that thing, but not nearly as much on the sohc. If you have a helms run the checks it has listed on the vtec soleniod to make sure its working right. Did you wire up the vtec correctly?
Old 03-09-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

easy way to tell if the vtec is working, take off the cat, rev the motor past 5500 should hear the diff.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:16 PM

Default Re: (SwampThing)

uh.. you can vtec engages at when your not moving?

I dont seem an explanation for not being able to hear vtec in cold weather, VTEC doesnt engage when the engine is cold but it should be fine when it warms up.

correct me if im wrong.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:05 AM

Default Re: (SwampThing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">easy way to tell if the vtec is working, take off the cat, rev the motor past 5500 should hear the diff.</TD></TR></TABLE>
uh..dude i have no cat...hehehe, but i'll give that a try. And yes i did wire up vtec correctly, i own a helms guide also, and traced every single wire to the ecu. I even took it to one of my good friend which happens to work at a performance shop, and he checked through everything, and the wiring is correct, all sensors/solnoid is in working condition.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if all thats right then your vtec is probably working. Check the helms manual at vtec engagement point one of thos wires you wired (pressure dwitch?) should get 12v to engage vtec, if you wire a light to that wire you can have a "vtec light" that turns on when vtec enagges to youll know ur in it...
Old 03-10-2004, 09:45 AM

Default Re: (turbotime)

i just don't understand how i got spanked by my friends '03 civic sedan ,nonvtec,5spd, w/ intake and full catback exhaust, and another friend w/ a canadian '91 Hatchback w/ a d15 w/ intake and a muffler. just curious does the TPS sensor has to do anything w/ vtec engaging??
Old 03-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek9 ferio)

did you change out the y7 tranny to a y8?
Old 03-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if u still got the cx tranny in there that will add as much as a second to your time and will really hurt your acceleration. What engine does teh 03 civic have i dont even know? I dont think TPS has much to do with vtec its more of anrpm/oil pressure thing as far as engagement goes. If you really cant tell just do that light trick and see if it comes on. I would attach it to an led and mount the led in the guage cluster. It would be sweet cause you hit like 4700 or whatever and the light would come on and stay on and you would know for sure whether or not ur in vtec.
Old 03-10-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

turbotime hey man i cant use im so hit an email to me or im me your email and
ill talk to you later bro . sorry to hijack this post but im a Fulcking trial user.
The following users liked this post:
Old 03-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo my email is dwasyluk@xfuse.com hit it up!