Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

mini me swap, misfires and valves ticking!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini me swap, misfires and valves ticking!

Hey guys, watsup. Just want to start of by saying this is my first post here, but this site has helped me for a ton of issues ive had. Thanks!

Now for the car (im by no means an expert and this is my first build, so im sorry if im not too knowledgeable...). I have a 97 civic dx coupe (d16y7) as my dd With just a i/h/e. I decided to swap on a y8 head for the extra kick in power, since i got a pretty good deal. RunningIthe ex ecu, only check engine code is for vtec, which i havent wired. I was planning on doing it all myself, but wasnt too sure how to route all the hoses, so i got someone to plug them all up while i has at work, and wouldnt you know it, he routed a coolant line to the charcoal canister along with a few more mixed/blocked lines! Long story short, i guess my coolant and gasoline somehow got mixed. The car was turned on/off periodically before i realized the leak under my car. Im not sure if thats the cause of the damage, but it might be worth mentioning.

Now my valves are ticking like bastards. Timing is correct, new plugs and wires, new fuel filter, and ive tried adjusting the valves about three times, with no progression at ALL. Acceleration feels extremely laggy, with an abundance of misfires. Any idea what i can do? I need my car for work and need it back on the road asap. I would imagine even if im adjusting them wrong that id see progress. Im doing them. 009 exhaust and. 007 intake. Thanks for any help
Old 08-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: mini me swap, misfires and valves ticking!

Make sure your car is COMPLETELY cold when doing the valve lash, Do them within Honda spec. Alot of motors i've seen/worked on have always ticked. no matter how good or how many times I set the valve lash.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont remember if the car was completely cold each time, but I guess ill check again tomorrow. I read at a few places as long as it was under 100*F, that it was good to adjust. I know under my hood it should have specs on the lash, but would it be the same for a non-vtec as a vtec head?

Also, found this video on YT. t sounds exactly like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ9JLcW6FoI
Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: just did them twice, last night and this morning...all the valves are perfectly adjusted, yetthe diesel engine sound isnt going. Any ideas?
Old 08-18-2012, 03:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe try a higher octane fuel or colder heat range plugs. You may need an adjustable cam gear to get the valve timing dialed in right. I think the vtec heads have a slightly different valve timing. Also the milling of the head and head gasket selection will slightly affect the compression and valve timing. What gasket did you use? There are other considerations like the quench clearances etc. I adjust .007 .009.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had already filled my tank with 89 to check, and there was no progression in the sound. I also had put in the new fuel filter with a chevron fuel system cleaner to see if anything changed. I have on a Felpro head gasket, i think it was the staydry or superdry or something similar. It was installed with new ARP bolts. Do you think timing might be a factor? I had done the timing twice, but im willing to try again if you guys think it will help...
Old 08-25-2012, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UPDATE: Think I found the problems for anyone who has the same issues...looks like the boltscoming from the head for the intake mani were rotating with the screws when i was tightening them, i found out by spraying tb cleaner on the manifold. Engine threatens to shut off, meaning air is going in through there. The ticking noise came from a melted exhaust gasket that came before my o2, also causing my engine to run rich and caused high idle. I will try to fix these things tomorrow, ill let you guys know how it goes.