Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

mini me problems please help me last resort

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini me problems please help me last resort

i have a d15b7 new mains new rod bearings new rings with a y8head 3 aqngle valve job new retaniers with a crane cam b18 cam gears y8 mani p28 virgin ecu not running vtech also using a hacked up b16 dizzy using a z6 cork head gasket this motor only has 2500 miles on it and blew 2 head gakets first was a y8 head gasket (metal) second was a z6 cork any ideas how i can stop this problem what gasket u think i should be runing and today before it blows it starts to over heat and blow hoses after i fix the house i start it and water and oil start shooting out the exaust now what i dont under stand is this thing runs prime then just dies
Old 10-06-2005, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your head is warped to me. If it is and you don't get it milled down, you'll continue to blow head gaskets all year long. I'd definatly go with the y8 head gasket. I work at honda and we almost never install the cork ones. We usually install the y8 gaskets whenever possible cause they're alot stronger.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:36 PM

Default Re: (coquitlamEG)

its just been milled down the motor was proffesonally built in tennese and richmond machine shop i really hoped it isnt warped
Old 10-06-2005, 07:40 PM

Even though it was milled and professionaly built, it could still be warped. I'm sure the builders milled it properly and everything. It could have warped on you the first time it overheated. Maybe your thermostat froze up on you or something else may have caused it to overheat and caused the head to warp. Those aluminum heads are pretty easy to warp when they overheat. I hope for your sake too that i'm wrong, but that's the direction i'd lean towards.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:48 PM

Default Re: (coquitlamEG)

im gonna throw one more y8 head gasket on and hope and pray it wants to go my way if not the head go back for more machine work
Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (necxoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by coquitlamEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Even though it was milled and professionaly built, it could still be warped. I'm sure the builders milled it properly and everything. It could have warped on you the first time it overheated. Maybe your thermostat froze up on you or something else may have caused it to overheat and caused the head to warp. Those aluminum heads are pretty easy to warp when they overheat. I hope for your sake too that i'm wrong, but that's the direction i'd lean towards.
</TD></TR></TABLE> While your taking the head of anyways to replace the headgasket might as well take it to the shop and let them look at it, if they did it once they will take a look for free.
Old 10-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (turner7205)

one problem i live in pa it was done in tenn im gonna just try it and hope for the best it over heated do to a blown heater core line any possible way it just blew because it overheated or is it more def warp has a head gaket ever blown just fro anover heat and could just be replaced or could it have somehting to do with the high compression from the mini me im not exactly sure how high it would be from this
Old 10-07-2005, 03:35 AM

i think i no why it blew i just got this motor off my good friend hes the one that had it built i didnt no right before i put it in my car he put a new head gasket on it and when i put it in my car i started to jump on it alot could this of blown the head gasket
Old 10-07-2005, 08:03 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

wow that was hard to read, but maybe
Old 10-07-2005, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turner7205)

I used a MR Gasket Multi-Layered Steel head gasket for Z6 when i did my mini-me. it was only 40-50 bux and worked great. I wouldnt bother with a cork one, and I believe the OEM y8 HG is slightly thinner than the Z6 which will slightly bump up your compression (.5 at most) but if youre already getting your head milled then that's going to be some high compression!
Old 10-07-2005, 10:09 AM
wrenchin'

Default Re: (teal_dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I used a MR Gasket Multi-Layered Steel head gasket for Z6 when i did my mini-me. it was only 40-50 bux and worked great. I wouldnt bother with a cork one, and I believe the OEM y8 HG is slightly thinner than the Z6 which will slightly bump up your compression (.5 at most) but if youre already getting your head milled then that's going to be some high compression!</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm, yeah. no. try again buddy. 92-00 vtec head gaskets are ALL the same. same MLS, same thickness. know your info before u speak
Old 10-07-2005, 08:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by necxoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">one problem i live in pa it was done in tenn im gonna just try it and hope for the best it over heated do to a blown heater core line any possible way it just blew because it overheated or is it more def warp has a head gaket ever blown just fro anover heat and could just be replaced or could it have somehting to do with the high compression from the mini me im not exactly sure how high it would be from this</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually what happens is the Head warps from overheating and then the head gasket follows right after. It is possible for a head gasket to blow from overheating without warping the head, but very unlikely. Anytime a customer brings a car in for a new head gasket, we pull the head and check it with a straight edge and feeler guages. If we're at all suspicious of a warped head we'll send it straight off to the machine shop to be checked and milled if necessary. You can try the straight edge and feeler gauge rout if you want, but i'd just suggest taking the head to a local machine shop to get checked out. If it's not warped, they'll tell you and probably wont even charge you.