Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini Me ECU Vtec help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Mini Me ECU Vtec help

Alright.
95 del sol s stock with d16z6 head. B7/Z6 mini me.
B7 intake and exhaust mani
I have the stock p06 ECU running without vtec wired and it runs decent. I just got my adjustable cam gear, so that should make it run better.

I got my p28 today from a well repped eBay seller. Chipped and socketed.
I was told its "stock z6 maps". I installed it without vtec wired and the car wouldn't start. I floored it and it started to hiccup and run terribly so I drove it 300 ft but it was sketchy so I parked it. Put the stock ECU in and I'm good again.
Why does the b7 ECU work fine(ish) and not the z6?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:15 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts
Default Re: Mini Me ECU Vtec help

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but if you don't have vtec wired, why do you think a vtec ECU is going to operate properly?
Old 02-19-2016, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did some research and read that it should run fine.. obviously a mistake.
i will be getting my adj cam gear on, wiring vtec, setting mech and ign timing perfectly, and reinstalling p28. hopefully everything will work out

anyone know what to set the adj cam gear to? 4.75 degrees advanced or retarded? cant find a sure answer online. thanks!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Hysterically Calm

It's my understanding since you are staying within OBD1 the cam shaft key ways are the same so you don't need to change cam gear timing any.

It's when you put the Y8 head on an OBD1 block you are off by 4.75°. And it has to do with the Key Way on the cam shaft changed on the OBD2 motors.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe its the deck height that causes the 4.75° (half tooth) difference on both heads. I fixed that today and it seems to be running better.

I'm going to wire vtec as soon as my connectors arrive and hopefully my new ECU works out. I'll check the CEL codes after I have vtec wired and get back
Old 02-19-2016, 12:00 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Honestly all else the same, sounds like a bad ECU
Old 02-19-2016, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks hero. I think my decision to buy an eBay ECU wasn't so smart.
We live and learn.
I'll update when I resolve or have more.
Old 02-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Tyler Lemke
I believe its the deck height that causes the 4.75° (half tooth) difference on both heads. I fixed that today and it seems to be running better.

I'm going to wire vtec as soon as my connectors arrive and hopefully my new ECU works out. I'll check the CEL codes after I have vtec wired and get back
I always read that same thing, that it had to do with deck height. However, when I placed the Y8 Gear ontop of the B7 gear, the keys were off by, you guessed it, 4.75°.

I then took out my Z6 adjustable cam gear and put it ontop of the Y8 gear to verify it was indeed exactly out by 4.75° and it was.

I have photo's of it on Honda-Tech in one of the threads about the mini-me.

Anyways, that discovery made me question it being the deck height as all the write up's I've read have only spoken about the Y8 on the B7/Z6 block being off by "half a tooth" and stating it was to do with a deck height difference. No one mentions the key variance between the OBD2 cam gears and the OBD1 cam gears. That detail is totally missing from everywhere I've read.

I will say it's rather convenient that it's exactly 4.75° difference between the cam key's to not be related to the "half a tooth" variance everyone experienced and talked about deck height.

And I didn't want to voice it until vtec wiring was ruled out just in case, but I too was thinking faulty ECU.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first why not wire up the vtec? second you need a custom map because youll be at higher compression with a mini me swap so youll need a custom map. also when you should use z6 intake and exhaust they flow better than a b7. also maybe some more info on your mini swap and how it was performed.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

about mini.
car broke down christmas night with minimal funds. took the head off and found a cracked valve due to a poor helicoil job by yours truly. found a z6 head that was recently machined and followed bauleys write up for my current mini me. b7 block, y8 metal head gasket, z6 head, z6 belt, stock manis due to funds, and the b7 ecu (p06 i believe?).
im a noob and had to due this all on my own with minor help from a friend. i timed it as best i could. it has been driving alright.. it has gotten me everywhere with nothing but a little smoke in the morning and a sluggish pull. 5 speed dx tranny from b7 so that doesnt help.
recently ordered eveything to complete this little monster. p28 chipped and socketed with z6 maps. adjustable cam gear aem. vtec plugs and pins.
i put the cam gear on and it seemed that retarded 4.75~ was where crank was at tdc and where i believe the cam to be at tdc. the cam keyhole is slightley before 12 o clock. i did ignition timing after this and with my dizzy retarded to the max i got the middle timing line on the crank lined up with the iron sight things on the belt cover. this is what i have come up with as how it should be dome with 2 months of research and conclusions.
the car pulls muchhh better it seems. even without vtec and still on p06.
sprayed carb clean in my throttle body during timing and now i have a surge and high idle. feel like a duck now...
seem to have gotten my idle somewhat leveled but still around 1k. very high. and pulses when i stop after it warms. goes away after a minute. took my fitv and cleaned it made sure valve closed when the tip was torched. tightened the white thing down all the way and back half turn. cleaned iacv and tested. its clicking and moving. my idle screw is very tight and im still at 1k. i havent started it and driven since fitv adjustment. so hopefully that was the issue. im in the
i cant because im doing valve lash adjustment and it seems the intake lash is very tight. exhaust as well. setting intake to .008 and exhaust .01.
finishing valve lash tomorrow and checking out idle.
then wiring vtec AND putting p28 back in to try again.
hopefully with the valves adjusted. my fitv totally cleaned and tightened. vtec wired. new ecu with correctish maps. probably double check ignition timing if i can rent a light.
hopefully after this i will have a decent idle and vtec and a properly running car.
might be a s****show. if so ill be back with lots of help me posts tomorrow
Old 02-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who reads/inputs. ive learned tons from this sight. you guys rock
Old 02-25-2016, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39

And I didn't want to voice it until vtec wiring was ruled out just in case, but I too was thinking faulty ECU.
im just hoping the ecu works. i need vtec. bad.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I always read that same thing, that it had to do with deck height. However, when I placed the Y8 Gear ontop of the B7 gear, the keys were off by, you guessed it, 4.75°.

I then took out my Z6 adjustable cam gear and put it ontop of the Y8 gear to verify it was indeed exactly out by 4.75° and it was.

I have photo's of it on Honda-Tech in one of the threads about the mini-me.

Anyways, that discovery made me question it being the deck height as all the write up's I've read have only spoken about the Y8 on the B7/Z6 block being off by "half a tooth" and stating it was to do with a deck height difference. No one mentions the key variance between the OBD2 cam gears and the OBD1 cam gears. That detail is totally missing from everywhere I've read.

I will say it's rather convenient that it's exactly 4.75° difference between the cam key's to not be related to the "half a tooth" variance everyone experienced and talked about deck height.
if thats true. im running retarded 4.75. and was fine without my adj gear. lol
i wish the cam key way had a mark on the head to lign up with for the cam to be perfect tdc. i dont have a top belt cover so i dont know what the cam looks like at exact tdc...
Old 02-26-2016, 01:03 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just use a y7/y8 cam gear. times it perfectly and costs under 20 bucks new.