Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini-Me Discussion: Get in on it and give me your knowledge

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini-Me Discussion: Get in on it and give me your knowledge

For starters... i'm back. It's been like two weeks since i've posted because i've been totally stressed the hell out about things. One of which, some of you know, is my stupid *** Hatch that doesn't want to run right.

You can check out my project in the link in my sig.. definitely still there.

Short explaination says...

Civic HX-T put a z6 bottom end and mated a y5 ( hx ) head onto it.

As of now.. the problem still persists.....

The car sputters and dies out on the road. Period. I don't last five minutes before it cuts and goes to sleep.

I've got plenty of theories on why this is...

But i've narrowed it down to a few more logical possibilities.

A) The head itself -- Perhaps it really isn't possible to put the y5/Hx head on a z6 bottom end? Maybe there's something completely different about it where it just won't work. Keep in mind, the y8 is compeltely different than the y5... so just because you can mini-me a y8 head on a d15 bottom end doesn't mean anything.

B) The Cam Gear and Belt -- Being that the Cam Gear for a y5 was a bit different, we decided that we'd just use the z6 one instead. I'm coming to think that this might've been a bad idea. We also retained the timing belt from the z6 and perhaps that's what's causing my problem. The y5's cam gear seemed to be like a quarter of a tooth off.. which is the reason why we went this route. Here again.. i'm beginning to think this might've been my problem.

C) Fuel -- This was a possibility but im beginning to rule it out. THe gas had been sitting in the car for months before I bought it. Granted.. that'll screw stuff up. But given the "sludge" factor ( when gas builds up into sludge in the tank -- Can be burned out if you remove the gas tank ), I still DROVE the Hatch back for an hour n'a half with the CX motor in it. And it didn't die once after we put new gas in it. I don't think this is the problem. Hell I even changed the fuel filter and as grimey as it was, I still don't think this is the problem.

I really want to know--

For those of you who've done mini-me swaps, i've heard that you had to use a certain timing belt and all. I wanted to know why. I havent' really searched because honestly I don't have the time right now.. so I posted up to get the responses. And I'd get more in depth info on WHY you'd have to use that other timing belt and stuff.

By the way if you think ignition and stuff is the problem.. I double checked that. I tried out a VX ( which is still Vtec-E ) Ecu and ran that with no luck. It flowed better, but still cut out so that's not the problem.

LoL And one more thing... seems as though my timing belt is oddly loose. So loose... that if I take a flat head and wiggle it... I can take it right off and not have to worry about unbolting stuff beneath to do a headswap. That scares me enough.. but I don't know how to tighten the damned thing. Wow.

Post up.
Old 03-14-2004, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mini-Me Discussion: Get in on it and give me your knowledge (Civic Hx-T)

vx timin belt would be tighter, talk to bauleycivic, hes the mini me expert