Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

might be buying a civic. what are the problem areas i need to check?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default might be buying a civic. what are the problem areas i need to check?

hey all.

my volkswagen has finally died and i'm getting pretty effed up with it. i had fun with volkswagens but i think it's time to finally move on. and my next choice is of course, hondas; perferably a nice 2 door civic.
i've applied for credit over at my local huge car lot ( http://www.metroautowholesale.com ) and already got approved for around 8k-10k and there are a few nice civics there. but with volkswagens you always have to look at a few select areas (i love the old ones so problematic rust areas are a must), but with hondas it's a WHOLE new game to me. so i'm very unsure what to look at. for example. is there any stray wires that can unhook from the body and get wedged and crushed by the springs? know what i mean?
whats usually the first thing to go on these cars? hopefully nothing toooo expensive because i'm gonna be broke for the next month or so. reason i'm buying a civic is because i know their reliable. but no matter how reliable, something is always bound to happen.
also with volkswagens, the bently manual is our bible. is there such a manual for hondas or am i stuck with the haynes and chiltons?
also with a DX series, is it an interferance motor? (if it wasn't swapped)
also how easy are hondas to work on? for example, on my scirocco i could change the altnernator in less than 15 minutes.
also (i know, alot of questions, but i'm a newbie) are there any reputable shops in the portland metro area where i could take the car while i'm still learning?
TIA guys!
Old 01-10-2006, 11:40 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: might be buying a civic. what are the problem areas i need to check? (Kameirocco)

Let me try and generalize Hondas for ya.

Things to check:
If a manual, shift from 1-2 and see if you hear a grind. DX models have crummy gearing, and the 1-2 shift people do SO fast that they wear the synchros.
Check the axles. The CV joints tend to go in Hondas, cause the boot will rip, and the internals get fucked up.
Look at stuff like the pedals, engine bay, and look for stuff like yellow paint or yellow wires or stuff that looks out of place. This could be signs it was owned by a "ricer" or what we call a "JDMer." these are people that mess with their car and may or may not know what there doing, possibly screwing stuff up.

Your book for Hondas are made by Helms. http://www.helminc.com makes THE best book. my 96-00 civic book is 1800 pages and is anything but foolproof. 65$ but worth every time, it lists pictures, every torque spec, and ANYTHING you need to know about replacing and reparing.

Hondas are very easy to work on, like legos. My center console, though very tough and stable, can be taken off with a screwdriver. As someone who has worked on em for a while, they are easy to work on, and coming from a VW (like a friend of mine said) Hondas are such a relief because the engineering is simple and wonderful.

Pretty much everything in your car will run forever if you don't modify anything, but if your keeping it stock, your at the wrong site, hehe. Most of the problems we have on here are cause of hybridizing. We do that a lot. Integra and Legend brakes on a civic, prelude engines in accords, etc. As far as wires hanging and braking, alternators blowing, no we dont have those problems, this is a Honda, not a Jaguar.

One more thing i can mention, that if anyone works on your brakes, make sure they put the shims on, somehow with hondas people tend to loose them. keep the anti-vibe compound on the shims and your brakes will never complain.

Also, check the front suspension. Balljoints are good, but if people work on em wrong, itll rip the rubber boot and make a mess.

On a stock Honda, you have little to worry about compared to your VW.

Welcome to Honda.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: might be buying a civic. what are the problem areas i need to check? (Redline96LX)

nice info

and since your kinda up north check for rust on the 1/4 panels and stuff....check for patch work and also (bondo..etc)

and yes welcome to honda
Old 01-15-2006, 12:45 AM

thanks man!! turns out they didn't have the civic i was hoping for at the lot, i got a 2001 cavalier though. they let me take it with 0 down so i couldn't really complain. in 10 months he said i can go back and trade up, so i'll be on the look out for a civic. and i'll look for those things but the good news is. i'm glad they are easier than vws! i've often said theres not enough tissue and lotion and bathrooms to help with the stress of owning a vw
Old 01-15-2006, 01:18 PM

Default Re: (Kameirocco)

Go cobalt!