Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change

hi guys, i need your advice .. would you go to a dealership for a timing belt change and they charge you for $550 or to a MIDAS for $250 anyone has any experience on this? both comes with a year warranty
Old 09-08-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (atermizi)

I'd do it myself. You'd be suprised how easy it is. Remove the gaurd over the drivers tire though...
Old 09-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (murtnabila)

do it your self if your confident to do so, but try to have a buddy there who's done it before. Use an oem honda belt, don't trust your engine to a cheap aftermarket belt. your valves don't like to be all that close to your pistons. Haynes auto manual makes it easier aswell.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (dohcdelsol93)

Haynes is garbage. But for timing belt is will work, get a helms manual. VERY detailed in about everything. I have a spare motor out if you want I can get you pics on how to take belt off and replace. Let me know. It'll save you some cash and if you don't have tools yet. Put the money you were gonna pay the dealer or midas towards a good metric set like a craftsman or something.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (murtnabila)

DIY y0!
Old 09-08-2004, 05:54 PM

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (JDMisGOOD)

yeah i know DIY is good+save money, but i live in an apartment with no garage and i have nobody that has that kind of technical knowledge. i did change my rotors/ brake pads/ springs by myself..but never dare to touch the engine. too risky i guess unless i have experience. i've already bought the OEM belt, but i just don't have the guts.

murtnabila,
can you send me pics on how to do the timing belt change? just in case i change my mind. i really apreciate it.
send it to atermizi@purdue.edu
Old 09-09-2004, 03:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will do...you should have them later today.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do it yourself. there's no better way to learn than to just do it yourself. haines is good for small things (including changing a timing belt). i do car work at my apartment all the time. i swaped my engine in my mother-in-law's driveway and almost got her kicked out of her neighborhood.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (jbscivichb92)

I agree witht he DIY part, HOWEVER you should take the car (if possible) to a shop and have them remove the crank pulley bolt. My two day timing belt/head gasket job has turned into 3 weeks. I cannot get that bolt off. I bought a crank pulley holder tool thingie and it stops the pulley from moving, but that bolt WILL NOT COME OFF. I am thinkin go fjust getting my **** towed to a shop and having them do it
Old 09-09-2004, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (specv5150)

take it to nearest tire shop or something. Pay like 10 bucks and have them loosen the nut using an impact gun (this is if you don't hae access to one) and then tighten it back up with hand (using a ratchet not your hand, lol). Go home and begin!
Old 09-09-2004, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The dealer is expensive and most places like Midas have morons as mechanics. I would try and find something in the middle such as a local repair place that specializes in Honda/Acura work and will use Honda/Acura OEM parts.

John
Old 09-09-2004, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by murtnabila &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take it to nearest tire shop or something. Pay like 10 bucks and have them loosen the nut using an impact gun (this is if you don't hae access to one) and then tighten it back up with hand (using a ratchet not your hand, lol). Go home and begin!</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah that is the goal...HOWEVER my insurnace company will only cover towing one way. So I can get it to the shop but I cant get it home. I may have to shell out some dough or jerry rig it on ym SUV and drive hella slow
Old 09-09-2004, 06:38 AM

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (specv5150)

If you have access to air tools, then do it yourself. If not, then all the hassle with manually removing/tightening the crank pulley bolt is not worth it.

The first timing belt change I did years ago was a major PITA because I didn't have any air tools. Broken sockets, rachets, knuckles....blah!

With a nice impact gun, the crank pulley bolt is nothing to worry about.

Old 09-09-2004, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: midas/carX/pep-boys Vs Dealership for timing belt change (boomslang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boomslang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you have access to air tools, then do it yourself. If not, then all the hassle with manually removing/tightening the crank pulley bolt is not worth it.

The first timing belt change I did years ago was a major PITA because I didn't have any air tools. Broken sockets, rachets, knuckles....blah!

With a nice impact gun, the crank pulley bolt is nothing to worry about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm all for DIY, but if you have no garage and it takes you 2 days to get the bolt off, then your car will sitting in a parking lot, jacked up with one side of the motor also jacked up. Seems inviting for some yuppie punk teenager to go kick them over or something. With an impact gun though, this is a pretty quick job.

As far as who does it, I'd say whoever, just so long as you supply them with the OEM belt so you know they'll be using it.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:09 AM

yeah, i say DIY. just be glad ur not trying to get the nut off with the engine out (major PITA). even w/ air tools its damn near impossible b/c the flywheel turns and trying to get that to stop can **** up ur engine. thats why the tranny on you can use the ground friction and weight of car to stop flywheel from turning. i say spend about $150 on a good air compressor and good set of air tools to get it done in about 2 hrs
Old 09-09-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Apocolipse269)

even if you are taking it of manually (or trying at first cause it can be done) make sure you use and impact socket ONLY! You DO NOT want to strip the bolt.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (murtnabila)

you can get it off your self without an impact wrench, ive done it even with the engine out of the car. get your self a 3ft breaker bar with an impact 19mm six sided socket. put a piece of pipe on it, i like a good 4 ft cheater and put the car in gear with a buddy holding the brakes, apply smooth, not jerky, pressure and it will bust every time. if my skinny rear end can do it "you can do it!". just remember to put blue loctite on the bolt before re-installing and make sure you torque it down, rent a torque wrench if you have to, you don't want the bolt coming loose while driving down the road.