Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

metal on metal contact?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default metal on metal contact?

Well like the topic says, when I go over a speed bump (like in a parking lot) there is a scuffing noise of metal on metal . I do go over speed bumps properly and nice a slow. I think something is moving or getting pushed togther when the car is being "twisted" if you will. It usually continues for a little bit after hitting the speed bump. I have spent a sat. afternoon in a parking lot with a friend going over speed bumps and listening for where it's coming from. I even got him to get out of the car and follow beside my car when it makes that noise. The noise is steady "scuffing" and does not increase or decrease with vehicle speed. It stays constant with engine speed though. I have tried pushing the clutch in and out when this occurs and it does not stop or change anything. I am real stumped with this one and hope it's my tranny because I am swapping it out in a couple of weeks (hopefully). You wise H-T'ers please help me out! I really need to get this fixed or atleast pin-point what it is. Please help me H-T!!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: metal on metal contact? (Bond)

any suspension mods???
Old 04-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: metal on metal contact? (dohcdelsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">any suspension mods???</TD></TR></TABLE>

No all stock. Bump for some help H-T.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have had the same problem once and have actually done the same thing to pin point it to. i found out that it was a worn and ripped bushing on my front strut assembly, on the upper half. it is a quick and cheap fix. Although it could be many other things as well
Old 04-14-2005, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: metal on metal contact? (B18C1 Del Sol soon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1 Del Sol soon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have had the same problem once and have actually done the same thing to pin point it to. i found out that it was a worn and ripped bushing on my front strut assembly, on the upper half. it is a quick and cheap fix. Although it could be many other things as well</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll take a look. Bump for more help.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump before dinner.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Please guy's! I really need help with this. I have tried to search and even got a couple mechanics to take a look at it. They did not know what it was. I did check my suspension and that is not it. I think when I go over the speed bump and the car "twists" something get's moved. Then this metal on metal sounds starts. I don't think it's the clutch because I can put it in and out and it does not stop it. The scrapping stays constant with engine speed and does not go away when the car is moving. I can be just sitting there and it scuff's along with the engine speed. I need some help here guy's. Please anyone that can help me please post. Even if you have a suggestion of what it is or even heard of this before.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump before bed.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump before lunch.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you even know if it's from the front or the rear? how are your brake pads doing? The metal wear indicator can sometimes rub the rotor even when you aren't on the brakes. If not that, then I would make sure every bolt on your suspension is tight.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aha! a fellow Canadian, lets See what it could be....

-Loose hangars on your exhaust? is that possible? could your exhaust just be rubbing on something?

- May sound stupid, but check your Discs, i assume you tap the brakes as you're going over a speed bump, if you tap the brakes when the squeeling/scuffing starts, does it go away? or just slow down?

-is this occuring only when you're going over a bump and stops once you're clear? or even when you hit a crease in the road?

-Check your shocks for leaks, a bad strut could have leaked and now makes some wicked noise when half bottomed - bottomed out.

-Is anything else louder than normal on the car? exhaust?

P.S. The chances your trannie's making noises only on bumps is pretty much nill
Old 04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (PureBlood)

go under your car, and look for the scuffing....
Old 04-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PureBlood)

I checked my exhuast hangers and the are like brand new. I bought the car from a local Honda dealership. They replaced them before selling it. I know they checked the suspension (after I told them too) and everything is alright. The cuffing does continue after speed bumps. I have checked for signs of wear, leaking oil, etc. under the car and it is all fine. I will check the brakes tomorrow and let you know what it looks like and all. I did not think that it could be my breaks but it is very possable. I am getting a magnaflow exhuast in a week so we will see if that stops it. Thanks for the help .
Old 04-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bond)

Well I check front brakes and they are fine. I had my little bro even step on the brakes while I watched to see if they stick or not. They release fine and they have lot's of life left. Any other ideas?

Modified by Bond at 9:55 PM 4/16/2005
Old 04-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bond)

Well I checked the rear breaks and I found the problem. My rear drum breaks are dragging. The driverside more then the passanger. Actually the driverside is pretty bad. Can some one help me as far as how I am suppost to go about fixing this problem. Is there anyway that my e-brake is not releasing enough causing it to drag. I know it is just the rear brakes. Can someone point me in the right direction as how to fix this problem? Please I need help with this.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have your drums checked for out of roundness. check and lube all your brake springs, components for binding.
pretty much get your drums resurfaced and components cleaned and lubed. shoes worn,get it replaced.
the cables can only stretch and break. .

Hey why not upgrade to rear disc brakes?
Old 04-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try checking out your control arm bushings, or jack your car up push pull and tugg on ****, see if its all tight, or just go thru, lube and tighten bolts, just a suggestion
Old 04-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egtwincam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egtwincam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have your drums checked for out of roundness. check and lube all your brake springs, components for binding.
pretty much get your drums resurfaced and components cleaned and lubed. shoes worn,get it replaced.
the cables can only stretch and break. .

Hey why not upgrade to rear disc brakes?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have the money for rear disc brakes. I pulled my e-brake up one click and it grabbed the rear brakes so hard that I could not turn it. i check my helms and at one click it should just start dragging. I am pretty sure it's my e-brake not releasing enough. I do not know why it was adjusted so tight (I just got the car a month ago) so I will back it off and see what happens. With the e-brake off if I turn the wheels the rear drag so I'll start of with the e-brake adjustment. Every thing is well greased from Honda doing a overhaul on it before they sold it to me. I guess there is some good things from buying from a dealership. The drums look to be resurfaced and the springs are like brand new. Thanks for the help guy's .
Old 04-17-2005, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI: parking brake handle for drum brakes should be around 5-7 clicks. WOW 1 click. at least your not some of those people who drive with their e brake up. overheat there brakes..very stinky.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (egtwincam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egtwincam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FYI: parking brake handle for drum brakes should be around 5-7 clicks. WOW 1 click. at least your not some of those people who drive with their e brake up. overheat there brakes..very stinky.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I adjusted it and it does not drag anymore. In Helms it says 6-11 clicks so I put it at 6 clicks. 11 a little high for my liking. I tried it out in a parking lot and the scuffing stopped .