Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Messed up antenna on EG civic.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Messed up antenna on EG civic.

Hey guys. My antenna has been pretty messed up for awhile now. It gets poor reception and it looks bad [bent out of shape and stickin out everywhere ].
I guess my question is what do you guys suggest I do? I do enjoy radio so I'd rather not delete my antenna, but I don't have satellite radio either =P. Should I nab a new antenna and slap it on? Or should I grab a block off plate and suck it up? If I go with the new antenna route, anyone have a suggestion on one? Or does it really matter?

95 Civic EX coupe

Thanks guys!
-Matt
Old 10-10-2008, 10:40 AM

Default Re: Messed up antenna on EG civic. (Mrmatt3465)

bump for a simple opinion
Old 10-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got rid of my antenna a long time ago. what i suggest is getting an internal antenna that mounts to windwhield, just behind the rear view mirror. They're pretty simple to install. Buy one from Best Buy and route it up the passenger side of the car to the roof and then to the rear view mirror, you can use the screw that mounts the mirror to the car as the ground and just stick the antenna to the windshield just behind it. it will be very clean and you wont be able to see any wires. You can grab the power form the radio so that it comes on when the radio is on.

Hope it helps
Old 10-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Messed up antenna on EG civic. (j_scobar)

Awesome thanks!
Old 10-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

last time i looked an after market replacement was less then $20. If you go this route. Do yourself a favor and before you pull the old antenna out unplug it from the back of the radio and tape a strong peice of rope or wire to it so when you pull out the old antenna you have an easy way of fishing the new on down the a piller
Old 10-10-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Messed up antenna on EG civic. (j_scobar)

I agree with j_scobar.
I got a Honda antenna block off plate on my 96, and later got a Scosche amplified antenna. http://89.46.37.13/~dave/galle...ber=2 Here's a picture if interested in cosmetics.

The Scosche amplified antenna is easy to tuck into A-pillar, I grounded mine to the rear view mirror screw. Seems decent enough. I don't know if I did everything right, though, as I'm still unsatisfied. But, it at least got rid of my mediocre-looking antenna.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:01 PM

Default Re: Messed up antenna on EG civic. (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">last time i looked an after market replacement was less then $20. If you go this route. Do yourself a favor and before you pull the old antenna out unplug it from the back of the radio and tape a strong peice of rope or wire to it so when you pull out the old antenna you have an easy way of fishing the new on down the a piller </TD></TR></TABLE>

Will do. Thanks for the tip. =D I'll keep my eyes open for an antenna in a few places. Glad to know they're cheap!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Davus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I agree with j_scobar.
I got a Honda antenna block off plate on my 96, and later got a Scosche amplified antenna. http://89.46.37.13/~dave/galle...ber=2 Here's a picture if interested in cosmetics.

The Scosche amplified antenna is easy to tuck into A-pillar, I grounded mine to the rear view mirror screw. Seems decent enough. I don't know if I did everything right, though, as I'm still unsatisfied. But, it at least got rid of my mediocre-looking antenna.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is your aftermarket antenna that little nub hanging on your A pillar? I personally don't like the look of the antenna in the first place. I think the block off plate would be nice.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mrmatt3465 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is your aftermarket antenna that little nub hanging on your A pillar? I personally don't like the look of the antenna in the first place. I think the block off plate would be nice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No lol. that nub is something else. i think his aftermarket antenna is in his interior behind the pillar plastic or around there.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Messed up antenna on EG civic. (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do yourself a favor and before you pull the old antenna out unplug it from the back of the radio and tape a strong peice of rope or wire to it so when you pull out the old antenna you have an easy way of fishing the new on down the a piller </TD></TR></TABLE>

Or you can just slide the old antenna out a few inches, cut the old antenna wire, tape the new one to it and use the old wire to pull the new one through the pillar
Old 10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just use my ipod. mines not even there anymore
Old 10-30-2008, 03:35 AM

Default Re: (Luke G.)

sweet this thread isnt too old to post on...

based on what ive ready from you guys...its should be an easy replacement if we decide to keep the antenna...

my problem is that when i tied my string i tied it to the one behind the radio...not knowing that the antenna is actually connected to an extender right underneath the driver side panel near the fuse block...

this is for EK btw...

i tried to just slide the antenna wire in but it doesnt seem to come out anywhere...
Old 10-30-2008, 03:44 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (rin5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rin5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sweet this thread isnt too old to post on...</TD></TR></TABLE>
If you try to reply to a thread and it says you can't because it's archived, just click "Quote" on a post and it will allow you to post.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rin5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">based on what ive ready from you guys...its should be an easy replacement if we decide to keep the antenna...

my problem is that when i tied my string i tied it to the one behind the radio...not knowing that the antenna is actually connected to an extender right underneath the driver side panel near the fuse block...

this is for EK btw...

i tried to just slide the antenna wire in but it doesnt seem to come out anywhere... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Wish I could help you find out how to run it through all the way, but I'm not really sure.