Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Megan Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan Racing

I'm just lookin for some opinions or experiance with the Megan Racing 4-2-1 header for D16's.

I'm lookin to stay N/A for the time being until I can afford boost but that aint gonna be anytime this year.

So, just wonderin what you guys think about the Megan Racing header vs the DC or any others youve come across.

Also, prices you guys have seen or paid would be great.

car gonna be installed on is a D16Y8 97 EX
Old 04-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Megan Racing

Megan Racing is garbage.

i would be way happier with DC sports header over a Megan, vibrant or any other ebay header.

do a little research man, it will help you alot.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Grip
Megan Racing is garbage.

i would be way happier with DC sports header over a Megan, vibrant or any other ebay header.

do a little research man, it will help you alot.
You need to do your research, most will agree Megan headers are built much better than DC headers, DC seems to have problems with poor welds and seem to crack a lot. My megan header is very good quality. The welds are very nice. I couldnt say anything bad about megan.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u are budgeting, megan is a good choice compared to ebay brands.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

megan racing is good **** for the money

grip is just a hater

dc sports is garbage... especially now that they are sold/manf by pilot automotive...
yes, the same people that make the neon **** in autozone and pepboys

either way its a d series, how much power can you hope for? i'd keep the stock paperweight manifold on it
Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
megan racing is good **** for the money

grip is just a hater

dc sports is garbage... especially now that they are sold/manf by pilot automotive...
yes, the same people that make the neon **** in autozone and pepboys

either way its a d series, how much power can you hope for? i'd keep the stock paperweight manifold on it
yea i agree, haha i didnt know they were owned by them,
I would just keep saving for a turbo setup.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinkin I might just save for my turbo setup yet, I was on d-series.org and out of the headers, it seemed fairly conclusive that the megan racing header was the better of the ones available.

I would really love just to wait until I can afford boost, yet the car is so terribly slow as it is it would be nice to free up a few horses, especially seeing as I'm at 7200ft elevation here in Colorado. my car is so weak up here

for the $170 MR is asking it doesnt seem to be that bad to free up a few horses. I also plan to mate it to an Apexi WSII which I'll hopefully get here soon.

I really dont want to buy to many parts that I cant use once I boost..hence why Im sorta skeptic and want to get something I can resell for a fairly good price. (amen for craigslist)

I'd really like to get the car to a point where its more "driveable" and then just slowly acquire parts and throw it all in when Im ready to boost. yet Im still somewhat undetermined as to how I want to go about my final setup.

I know there are a few things I could get that wouldnt really net me too many hp but I'll need in the long run..P28 ECU + tuning software, probably gonna use NepTune due to availability at a local shop..yet...its damn pricey. and for the money I Could probably get the equipment to boost my car and keep it at a nice safe 6psi or so, and when I'm ready to, tune and boost higher. yet I'm still not sure on what I wanna do and how.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

save for boost. the money you spend to gain 2whp isnt worth it in the long run.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Megan Racing header is a good buy.

It's got a billet flange, whereas the ebay headers have cast flanges.

Buying an ebay header is a risk of your money and the megan racing header isn't a risk.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NightCat
I would really love just to wait until I can afford boost, yet the car is so terribly slow as it is it would be nice to free up a few horses, especially seeing as I'm at 7200ft elevation here in Colorado. my car is so weak up here
HOLY ****!!

dude, at 7200 ft, nothing, i repeat nothing bolt on is gonna make a difference.

boost or juice are your only options. the naturally aspirated engine is practically suffocating at those heights
Old 04-13-2009, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The Megan headers are an incredibly good buy. I have a Megan 4-1 on my B16 and the build quality and fitment is superb. My only complaint now is that I can hear the engine rasp a bit more, but I guess that is how it goes on tube headers.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
HOLY ****!!

dude, at 7200 ft, nothing, i repeat nothing bolt on is gonna make a difference.

boost or juice are your only options. the naturally aspirated engine is practically suffocating at those heights
yea...exactly..at this elevation my motor is just begging for somethin. hence why my eventual plan is to boost to try and compensate for the lack of oxygen rich air. but in the mean time..just...its gotta make some flavor of difference.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea...exactly..at this elevation my motor is just begging for somethin. hence why my eventual plan is to boost to try and compensate for the lack of oxygen rich air. but in the mean time..just...its gotta make some flavor of difference.
Well go with megan, its the best for that price range.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM

i was in your boat. i have a 98 ex with a y8. I bought the megan header for 106 shipped to my door from some website i forget. if you want it pm me and ill find my receipt and get you the site. the header is good quality. never had a problem with it. its stainless. looks good. i have the skunk2 catback. Im happy with my exhaust set up for now. im building a turbo b16 in my basement now though. So i did a few quick mods to my d. had fun with it. Im working on moving on though.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Megan headers are a great buy. I compared it side by side in my garage with a dc sports 4-2-1 header and it just looks like a better quality header. The welds looked nicer and the flanges were atleast an 1/8th inch thicker on the megan header.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i feel you
don't spend much cash though, cause seriously bolt ons are gonna make very little difference
Old 04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by patmann911
i was in your boat. i have a 98 ex with a y8. I bought the megan header for 106 shipped to my door from some website i forget. if you want it pm me and ill find my receipt and get you the site. the header is good quality. never had a problem with it. its stainless. looks good. i have the skunk2 catback. Im happy with my exhaust set up for now. im building a turbo b16 in my basement now though. So i did a few quick mods to my d. had fun with it. Im working on moving on though.
**** man, that be sweet to get that cheap! I found it for $136 at ImportDPS. also lookin at mating an Apexi WSII to it..would be around 520 w/o shipping but if I can get it for $106 shipped that be sick.

@ Monkey magic, I hear ya man. I dont wanna buy too much **** I'll have to resell once I boost but i have no idea when that'll be and this stock motor is killin me...so damn slow!! thats also why Im trying to do suspension first

Last edited by NightCat; 04-13-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Honda at 7200 Ft. Still got stock hubs on (and yes, I know I need wheels <_<)

(sorry for large image)
Old 04-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since your looking at headers, I highly doubt youre going to boost anytime soon.

Anyways, get the generic ones off of eBay. Ive had mine for about 6 months now and its working great. Fitment was 10/10 and it looks sexy. I could less about brand names so my opinion might be biased.
Originally Posted by Luke G.
You need to do your research, most will agree Megan headers are built much better than DC headers, DC seems to have problems with poor welds and seem to crack a lot. My megan header is very good quality. The welds are very nice. I couldnt say anything bad about megan.
Funny you say that, I just ahold of a ~1995 CARB DC header and it has extra welds since it cracked years ago lol.....
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like I'm going with megan header too.

thanks for the thread, and my bad for the bump.....
Old 07-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Megan is cheaper but i don't think they're CARB legal. Go megan or just save for boost like everyone is saying lol