Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mechanical problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanical problems

So lately My car has not been wanting to start. When I crank it the battery light flashes or sometimes it’ll start then shut off , One of the cables that connects to the terminal is cracked but It has always started right up , Never had the problem of it not starting till now. I try to use a scanner but It doesn’t communicate. I checked fuses and main relay everythings good. Could it possibly be my Ecu or wiring harness ? Im using a wiring harness that has vtec and my car doesnt have vtec so that connector is unplugged
Old 07-09-2018, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Mechanical problems

What is the year, model, and trim level of the car in question? Wiring harness, too.

The battery light is actually a charge warning indicator light. It only illuminates if the charging voltage is too low. It will not reliably turn off if the car is not running since the alternator isn't spinning fast enough, so disregard that for now. What terminal? Bad battery wiring is a red flag. Those need to be repaired.

Engine scanner (if 96-2000) not connecting is typical of a blown fuse. Need to know the year of the car and engine/harness/ecu to assist further. 88-95 systems blink long/short red lights under the passenger carpet if triggered a certain way, pending model year.

Well, you need air, spark, compression, and fuel. Time to figure out what isn't working. How did you test the integrity of the main relay? Starting and stalling is an extremely common failure mode of the main relay.

How did you check the fuses? Visually or with a multimeter set to continuity? Hairline cracks can be deceiving.

Why would it be the ECU or wiring harness if it suddenly started to fail? Something changed or failed, and it's time to target the easiest/common stuff first.

I would inspect distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs, resistance test the wires/coil/ignitor, ACTUALLY check for (blue/white) spark, and fuel, then go from there. Tell us what you find. I honestly keep 1-2 extra main relays in my Hondas since they're super common to fail. Haven't had to use them yet but you never know
Old 07-10-2018, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mechanical problems

Originally Posted by sumdewd
What is the year, model, and trim level of the car in question? Wiring harness, too.

The battery light is actually a charge warning indicator light. It only illuminates if the charging voltage is too low. It will not reliably turn off if the car is not running since the alternator isn't spinning fast enough, so disregard that for now. What terminal? Bad battery wiring is a red flag. Those need to be repaired.

Engine scanner (if 96-2000) not connecting is typical of a blown fuse. Need to know the year of the car and engine/harness/ecu to assist further. 88-95 systems blink long/short red lights under the passenger carpet if triggered a certain way, pending model year.

Well, you need air, spark, compression, and fuel. Time to figure out what isn't working. How did you test the integrity of the main relay? Starting and stalling is an extremely common failure mode of the main relay.

How did you check the fuses? Visually or with a multimeter set to continuity? Hairline cracks can be deceiving.

Why would it be the ECU or wiring harness if it suddenly started to fail? Something changed or failed, and it's time to target the easiest/common stuff first.

I would inspect distributor cap/rotor, spark plugs, resistance test the wires/coil/ignitor, ACTUALLY check for (blue/white) spark, and fuel, then go from there. Tell us what you find. I honestly keep 1-2 extra main relays in my Hondas since they're super common to fail. Haven't had to use them yet but you never know
Its a 99 Ex coupe sunroof model. Idk trim level or Harness. Harness has Vtec and Im running Y7 non Vtec so those connectors for Vtec are unplugged , I fixed the crack I had in my battery cable. I checked Fuses by Visual . It has the factory harness for D series but cut into . Spark plugs and fuel pressure are good. Car seems like it didnt have compression Cause It wouldnt go passed 25+mph when giving it gas and At a red light in neutral it would die and take forever to start. I checked relay by taking it out the housing unit.I was thinking Ecu or wiring harness because It always Idle kinda rough between 800-1400 rpms