Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MD & VA residents and police officers

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MD & VA residents and police officers

i have a few questions for MD or VA residents or police officers. i was pulled over on I-95 north of 495 for apparently doing 93mph in a 65mph zone. now, i am not shore how this is posable since i just got back on the highway from geting gas and was still accelerating since i dont have a jet engine on my car or anything. he may have thought that i was in the group of cars that whent flying by me, but he pulled me over. and one of the cars was a silver truck that flew by me and then slowed down infront of me, as soon as the cop turned on his lights behind me the truck hit his gas a strarted pulling away from me and i still got pulled over. the problem is that i dont have a ticket from the gas station to prove that i wasnt in the group of speeders. my question is on the next part. the cop that pulled me over isnt the one that gave me the ticket, i'm not shure if the first cop wrote the ticket or the second cop did, but i think the second one did because i saw him holding my licence up in his window like he was reding something off of it. i just want to know if this is legal them to do this, evan if the first cop did write the ticket? and since i dont have any proof, if the judge thinks i am lieing, what is the max that he can raise the fine to, i know he cant take my licence because i live in va and got the ticket in MD. (i realy want to fight it and plan to get a laweyer because the fine is $270 and it is wrecklass driving so my insurance will go way up if they dont kick me off, and it is my first offence, never evan been pulled over before)
Old 12-02-2002, 07:23 PM

Default Re: MD & VA residents and police officers (bluedelsol)

ttt
Old 12-02-2002, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just pay the ticket off man, trust me, you'll end up waisting more money on a lawyer and maybe the fine would be lowered, but in the end, it'll still cost you more $$$, on top of that it's really your word against theirs, and we all know how that goes. Not to rain on your parade, but I've been there so I speak from experience.

p.s. Didn't notice it was your first offense, you could try the lawyer thing, he might be able to pull you off with a warning or possibly lower the fine, not sure on that though, it really depends on how the judge is.

[Modified by VTEK 4 U, 12:17 AM 12/3/2002]
Old 12-02-2002, 08:16 PM

Default Re: MD & VA residents and police officers (VTEK 4 U)

well if i pay it then i end up loosing money in the end, bacause my insuance will go way up
Old 12-02-2002, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well your insurace might go up just because you got a ticket. I know, it's fu#$d up. Or you could just fight it off like you planned on. Either way, good luck, they shouldn't really give you a hard time since it's your first offense, but like I said, it all depends on the judge.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MD & VA residents and police officers (VTEK 4 U)

First try to delay the court date. Many times the cop won't show up on the rescheduled time. I've never done this but I've heard it works.

Second, If you don't feel like doing that just attend court. If its your first offense you'll probably have to pay the fine and no points, with a couple years probation. As long as you don't get points your insurance won't go up. However, you do live out of state so you wouldn't get points anyway.

I'm no expert but this is usually the experience I've heard of.
Old 12-02-2002, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MD & VA residents and police officers (BeerMan)

id say first.. try to postpone the court date as late as you can...
then tell the judge what u just wrote... its a feasible story..
you will PROBABLY get off on the ticket cuz its ur first offense...
at least i did... tell them u have a CLEAN driving record..

if worse comes to worse... u can try the old urban legend trick...
if ur fine is 270.. make a check for 300 bucks... that way they
have to reimburse you 30 bucks... when they send you that check..
dont cash it in... that way the transaction was never completed and
no issuance of points.... DOES THIS WORK?? i have no clue.. it might..
Old 12-02-2002, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well my gf had the same problem..Because she was ran off to the side of the freeway by some *** on the I-95 .. well the cop gave her a reckless driving ticket since she had swerved and the cop didn't feel like chasing after the other guy... she had to get a lawyer and blah blah blah.. I think they knocked it down to a speeding ticket ..but she had to pay like $700 for all fees and lawyer..so I don't know.. try to delay it... write a letter to the judge explaining what had happened.. if all else fails. get a lawyer and plead to the court..well how did u Pay for gas.. did u use a CC..ATM card..debit .. if u used one of those try to get a bank statment to show..? but still may not account for 5 min or so in which in that time the judge can still say you could of speed in that time .. good luck