Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched

I'm converting to rear disc brakes and larger calipers on my 93 civic ex(b16), and so naturally I am upgrading the MC and booster. Second picture down in this thread shows exactly the one i have: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1291234
Both ports exit the drivers side of the car, And so i thought everything was going to be pretty easy. Wrong! combined with the thicker booster, there doesnt seem to be enough clearance (between the MC and shocktower ) for the brakelines. the space between the flare and the first initial bend(on the lines) is too long for the space provided by the new MC and the drivers shock tower. Any ideas/has anyone ever run into this? Its looking like im going to have to cut and reflare the lines, but am weary that i wont have enough room between the first bend in the brakeline, and where i need the flare, for the flaring tool/tube cutter to do its job.(no i have never flared lines before, any thoughts/tips appreciated). Please if anyone has run into this before, how did you remedy it?
Old 09-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (clarkekent13)

what booster and MC are you upgrading to? when i went with integra brakes on my EG hatch, i kept the stock booster and upgraded to a 91 civic EX MC (15/16). it was all PnP and provided more than enough pressure to lock up all 4 wheels.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (dantastic)

It was described to me as an Itr 1" (i believe it is the jdm one ??) the booster is Itr as well, i believe- it is quite a bit thicker than my stock ex one.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:03 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (dantastic)

Ok, I am almost 90% sure that that MC is NOT a jdm itr one. I have a jdm itr one and I have one opening on the inside and one on the other side. Then again, I'm not entirely sure mine's a jdm one. I just know it's a 1inch.

You really don't have any problem here. As long as your MC bolts up to your BB you're fine. You can bend the line to make them fit. Just bend them slowly. You're fine.

Also, in your pic, it looks like the opening on the left is a 10mm and the one on the right is a 12mm. YOu'll need to find a 12mm fitting because your oem civic ones are 10mm. I found a 12mm off a Acura Legend at a junkyard.

cxshoe would know about this MC. I've pmed him.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I also put a RHD MC into my car, you just have to bend the lines, I didn't have to cut anything.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if on the left side (other side of the photo) says nissin then its a jdm m/c if it doesnt then its not. it definitely is a 1" and looking at the reseurvoir(sp?) it could be an early type r m/c. the later versions had the double square bowl seseurvoir and yes you will have to reflare because that outlet closest to the booster is a 12mm.

i know the 12mm side you can make work on the car, it will be naturally close to the shock tower , mine is aswell.. but... that front outlet is really going to be tight.

i would say your only option if you truely wanted to keep this m/s is to use it and bend the lines as far as you can away from the shock tower area. if you cant then maybe using stainless steel brake hoses... someone here has a link to these in the archive somewhere cant recall the company. but that is more money to spend which i wouldnt do.

i would personally get any 98+ usdm abs integra (gsr, ls, etc) m/c which is all the same as a usdm type r m/c and 1" aswell.. i know for sure if you get a 99 ls with abs all holes will be 10mm and will be a 1" .. only because thats what i use.

just talked to my cousin, and he said the early jdm type r's had 15/16 and 1" with the smaller circular reseuvoir (as your photo above) the 15/16 had the front outlet tilted up more. and the 1" had the hole parallel as your is... and on the 98+ itr's had the square double bowl versions. with the front outlet on top just as the usdm type r's so it looks to be a true jdm itr m/c. but like i said see what works and if you cant get it to work sell it and get a 1999 integra ls with abs m/c and you will have no reflaring or brake line issues..

Modified by cxSHOE at 8:05 PM 9/20/2005
Old 09-20-2005, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (cxSHOE)

Thank you! Bending, reflaring, and finding a 12mm fitting is a little more than I bargained for, and I'm with CxShoe- the front port looks like its going to be a REAL tight fit, even with rebending- the 99 ls w/abs sounds like the one for me. Thanks Again.

Looks like I have a pre 98 itr 1" MC for sale
Old 09-21-2005, 02:13 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clarkekent13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thank you! Bending, reflaring, and finding a 12mm fitting is a little more than I bargained for, and I'm with CxShoe- the front port looks like its going to be a REAL tight fit, even with rebending- the 99 ls w/abs sounds like the one for me. Thanks Again. </TD></TR></TABLE>Does yours say nissin?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if on the left side (other side of the photo) says nissin then its a jdm m/c if it doesnt then its not. it definitely is a 1" and looking at the reseurvoir(sp?) it could be an early type r m/c. the later versions had the double square bowl seseurvoir and yes you will have to reflare because that outlet closest to the booster is a 12mm.

i know the 12mm side you can make work on the car, it will be naturally close to the shock tower , mine is aswell.. but... that front outlet is really going to be tight.

i would say your only option if you truely wanted to keep this m/s is to use it and bend the lines as far as you can away from the shock tower area. if you cant then maybe using stainless steel brake hoses... someone here has a link to these in the archive somewhere cant recall the company. but that is more money to spend which i wouldnt do.

i would personally get any 98+ usdm abs integra (gsr, ls, etc) m/c which is all the same as a usdm type r m/c and 1" aswell.. i know for sure if you get a 99 ls with abs all holes will be 10mm and will be a 1" .. only because thats what i use.

just talked to my cousin, and he said the early jdm type r's had 15/16 and 1" with the smaller circular reseuvoir (as your photo above) the 15/16 had the front outlet tilted up more. and the 1" had the hole parallel as your is... and on the 98+ itr's had the square double bowl versions. with the front outlet on top just as the usdm type r's so it looks to be a true jdm itr m/c. but like i said see what works and if you cant get it to work sell it and get a 1999 integra ls with abs m/c and you will have no reflaring or brake line issues..

Modified by cxSHOE at 8:05 PM 9/20/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>took the words out of my mouth...
Old 09-21-2005, 05:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, in your pic, it looks like the opening on the left is a 10mm and the one on the right is a 12mm. YOu'll need to find a 12mm fitting because your oem civic ones are 10mm. I found a 12mm off a Acura Legend at a junkyard.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

What size is the fitting on the other end of the legend brake line? I also have a 1" MC yet to be installed because of this.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you have your hands full. heres alittle advice, its not safe bending those brake lines. the last thing you need is to have a leak and brake failure. i recently read post about upgrading m/c. your best bet would go with a 91 4dr ex. fits right into your existing booster and brakes just as good as a teg.

**EDIT**

do a search on brake master cylinder, and right on top of the list you will see a post/write up done by B18C5-EH2. it will answer all your questions.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:46 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (IHateJDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IHateJDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What size is the fitting on the other end of the legend brake line? I also have a 1" MC yet to be installed because of this. </TD></TR></TABLE>The other end, like the end that goes to the prop valve? I have no idea.

You can find that 12mm fitting from
Legends
TL's
RL's

I'm sure older accords that frequent junk yards etc.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:48 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: MC/ Booster upgrade problem- searched (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like you have your hands full. heres alittle advice, its not safe bending those brake lines. the last thing you need is to have a leak and brake failure. i recently read post about upgrading m/c. your best bet would go with a 91 4dr ex. fits right into your existing booster and brakes just as good as a teg.

**EDIT**

do a search on brake master cylinder, and right on top of the list you will see a post/write up done by B18C5-EH2. it will answer all your questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It's fine to bend the hardline. I mean, if you screw up, you split the line. So it's all or nothing really. If you go slow, you'll be fine.

Also, ya the 91 EX 15/16th MC is by far the easiest upgrade because you keep your stock BB and don't need to mess with the hardlines. HOWEVER, there is a huge difference between the 15/16th and 1'' MC. Again, cxshoe will chime in here.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The other end, like the end that goes to the prop valve? I have no idea.

You can find that 12mm fitting from
Legends
TL's
RL's

I'm sure older accords that frequent junk yards etc.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks like I'm hitting up the junkyards this weekend. I'll post up the other size when I get it, since I'm not the first and will not be the last to have this problem.
Old 09-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does yours say nissin?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yes it does

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like you have your hands full. heres alittle advice, its not safe bending those brake lines. the last thing you need is to have a leak and brake failure. i recently read post about upgrading m/c. your best bet would go with a 91 4dr ex. fits right into your existing booster and brakes just as good as a teg.

**EDIT**

do a search on brake master cylinder, and right on top of the list you will see a post/write up done by B18C5-EH2. it will answer all your questions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what I probably should have done in the first place( 91 4dr ex mc). Right now though, I do have the integra booster(itr?) already bolted up(its much thicker than my original and was a pain to get in). Since its already in there, I would like to try and go with a 1" MC. I'm going to try the 98+ ls w/abs(per cxshoe) - my only thought is if it will bolt up to the pre 98 itr booster thats in my car now. I'll try to research it, or maybe visit my local acura dealer and have a looksee. Like I said, I'm almost halfway there anyway, and if nothing else, I really dont want to crawl back under my dash to remove the 4 booster bolts- I had a hell of a time getting to those with a ratchet- theres NO ROOM! Thanks for the link to the write-up though- its now added to the long list of HT threads bookmarked under firefox