Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

maybe a dumb questions about new struts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2002, 11:56 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maybe a dumb questions about new struts.

In the next week Im goin to be changing my rear drums to discs, off a 95 GSR. I'm also going to be buying new struts, koni yelows to be exact and I was noticing that the part numbers for the front on both civics and integras were the same but on the rears the integra and the 96+ civics part numbers were different.

Should I buy the set for an integra or should I buy the set for my civic (98 ex)?

...since Im kinda on the subject also..I noticed Fastbrakes as a big rear disc conversion to make you rears 11" which would be the same size as my "upgraded" 11" fronts. would there be anything wrong with having the same size brakes front and back? I dont want to be locking up my rear end all the time, or does it just depend on if you got the right proportioner in there.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2002, 07:12 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: maybe a dumb questions about new struts. (J T)

i believe you want the shocks made for your car, not the integra

[Modified by DxHatchback, 11:12 AM 9/7/2002]
Old 09-07-2002, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: maybe a dumb questions about new struts. (DxHatchback)

I woulndt personally order the rear discs the same size as the front discs. This is because on brake systems, the front brakes do most of the work, so why would you need rear discs the same size as the front ones that do most of the work??? If you plan on doing bigger brakes, Id go bigger with the front ones!
Old 09-07-2002, 10:42 AM

Default Re: maybe a dumb questions about new struts. (J T)

...since Im kinda on the subject also..I noticed Fastbrakes as a big rear disc conversion to make you rears 11" which would be the same size as my "upgraded" 11" fronts. would there be anything wrong with having the same size brakes front and back? I dont want to be locking up my rear end all the time, or does it just depend on if you got the right proportioner in there.
The balance is the most important part. If you have put better calipers (or pads, or bigger rotors), then you've already knocked the balance slightly off. When SCC upgraded JUST the front rotors the braking distances INCREASED. When they upgraded the rear rotors, the braking distances decreased to below starting distances.

There's nothing inherently "wrong" with equalizing the brake SIZE, but the relative balance is what's important. If you've upgraded fronts (and not changed proportioning valves), you may or may not improve braking by increasing rear disc size (it may get better, it may get worse). If it makes it so that the rears LOCK before the fronts, then you got trouble.

Shawn