Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

May be keeping my dying civic as a project car,and would love some input on my ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May be keeping my dying civic as a project car,and would love some input on my ideas.

My current civic engine is on it's way out, it may not even last a week.

I am working on a way to finance a newer car that is about $4k to be my daily driver.

Here is a pic of my car a 2000 Honda Civic EX:

Since it would not be easy to sell it in the shape it is in,i am going to talk to my sister who i currently live with into letting me park it in garage,and work on it in my spare time.

Now i don't want to do what everybody else seems to do and drop it,i don't like the idea of scraping.
I have seen parts of my idea done,but never all of it together,and never on a 4 door.

This will end up being a long term project in my spare time,mabye 5 years or more,but it will allow me to teach my self stuff i would not of other wise learned.

I was thinking of finding some CR-V shocks,which are 2 inches longer than the civic's,get a type R control arms to allow me to mount CR-V shocks on the civic.
Then i was most likely going to get cheap engine to swap in as a place holder to get her running for the time being. Any suggestions?

Hopfully by this time i will be trying to move out of my sisters,and into my own place.

Then in my own place i will start the real work,if i like the feel and ride height of the car,i will try to get some OEM mud flaps or mod some from another car to fit,and mabye try to find some after market shocks with the same ride height,and adjustable if possible.

Then i want to buy a close year CR-V AWD,with a bad engine,but other wise good drivetrain,then do any i have to do to make the drive train fit on the car,and make some skid plates to cover the important parts.

I will then do an engine swap,my boss at work,whose brother races a modded honda,suggested a K24A3,change some parts and add a turbo,will want at least 350 HP or more.

I will also tear out the inside while i am doing the other things,then i will have a a roll cage built,If possible one that won't block the doors,while still being safe,because i am kind fat lolol.

I will then start to put back the interior,while cutting to make it just fit around the roll cage,i will also cover the roll cage with something that matches the interior.

So in all i want to make it a rally car/track car(i would adjust the shockd down at the track),that i could then drive home,and pick up thing from the store on the way home,all while in the comfort of AC,and having a radio.

What do you guys think? What suggestions do you guys have?

What would be some good track day rims? and what would be some good rims for if i go to a rally race?

I think i will keep the stock rims for spares.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:38 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: May be keeping my dying civic as a project car,and would love some input on my id

If you have the money, the knowledge to do these kind of projects, than yeah go ahead. this is nothing technical, just an opinion.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Re: May be keeping my dying civic as a project car,and would love some input on my id

the crv shocks being mounted sounds like a good idea
i dont know why i never thought of that before haha

if you want the ride hieght to be adjustable then your going to need coilovers
thats what i did and at only half way spun up they are perfect for rally
if you want more info pm me
im a ex rally driver for team nightrider
Old 11-01-2015, 06:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you saying your planning to raise the ride height of the car or just not planning to lower it? If you're not going to be increasing the ride height the longer shock body will hinder performance, not help it. The longer shock body will just bottom out 2" earlier in the suspensions compression. If you're looking for better performance out of a shock, valving (in conjunction with spring rate) is where you'll see better performance, NOT length.

The whole concept sounds a bit "pipe dreamish." If you're really serious about it the FIRST thing you should be focusing on is getting it running. Whether that means repairing the current engine or installing a replacement, forget about modding the chassis until the engine is in good condition. Otherwise I see potential for you sinking money into the suspension, running out of ambition and drive, and selling it for the same as its worth now while taking a loss on your time and money "invested" into the project. Dreaming big is fine but it gets you nowhere. Thinking realistically and logically can actually guide you to achieving the dream. Especially as a beginner.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by trainergames
What do you guys think? What suggestions do you guys have?

What would be some good track day rims? and what would be some good rims for if i go to a rally race?
This displays an opinion thread, not a technical discussion of challenges or issues.

If you are looking for information please see the FAQ sticky as it is filled with a plethora of info.

Thread closed due to no technical merit.