Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Maurice's Paradise blue/green Ej1 Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maurice's Paradise blue/green Ej1 Build

Hey guys,
Lets start with a brief introduction i guess lol, names Maurice and thought i'd start a build thread on my Fairly Recently purchased EJ1 since progress has pretty much progressed pretty quickly.

Little backstory on the car: I traded the car for my in shortest terms "Built" Poormans Type-R longblock, seeing the car ran and had tags and passed smog few months back i thought i was getting a SMOKING deal, was a close friend, trusted his word. well first day i drive it, engaged vtec once, crank pulley snaps off the cranks only for me to find out the pulley was welded to the crank(poorly at that).

Lets start it off with plans, this car is "track inspired" but will be tracked fairly often, and the car will be built cosmetically, suspension, interior, ect before a swap goes in. Plans engine wise is H2B(H23A longblock, B16 Lsd tranny is the shortest terms), I chose to go this route because i want the car prepped for the H before it actually goes in. Okay, enough with the introduction lets get to the fun Part. For future reference, in the beginning this build will be all over the place because of mind changing and good deals. I got more on track and focused later on down the build.

The day i got her

Car was stock on Cut springs and blown shocks, windshield had a huge crack, windows wouldnt roll up and down, interior was missing bits and pieces, No A/c, No P/s but overall the cars body was pretty nice. All i added day one was a rear window visor and and a cheesy Ej1 plate since it didnt come with a front plate.

Just another angle

Installed a set of Recaro Replicas with Low rails since they were sitting around and wanted to get some use out of them from an old build.

Pressure washed the engine bay since i was going to be pulling the motor for a rebuild anyways and wanted a clean area to work with and installed an old "Concept" lip i had and an oem OEM hood bra.

Picture of car with lip installed before hood bra

Picture of both installed (Recaros pulled for cleaning while i waxed the car)

Now that the pulley had snapped that same week i loaded up the car to take to a buddies house for a tear down and rebuild
Old 03-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Maurice's Paradise blue/green Ej1 Build

Since only the block seemed to have a problem and the head checked out to be fine, all i did was replace the valve stem seals, mill the head and have it "hot tanked"(yes i know its chemical cleaning not hot tanking its just what we call it here).

Before pulling the motor i retro fitted an OEM Integra strut tower brace and powercoated the valve cover Wrinkle black for a cleaner finish

Since I was rebuilding the block and didnt know any history about the motor and if it had any overheating issues thought i would replace and upgrade the cooling system while i waited for the machine shop, This included:
Aluminum Radiator(I believe a dual core)
Oem honda Thermostat and new seal
Oem honda Water pump
Oem honda antifreeze
Oem honda radiator hoses + new clamps

I had an old AutoPower Roll bar laying around the garage and though i would test fit and see how it looked in the coupe(No the cage will not be installed while daily driving will only be used for shows/future tracking)

Test fitting

More test fitting

Than the worse happens, while cleaning the garage car was left outside(no motor assuming it would be okay) broad daylight was broken into and parts stolen. Obviously rims taken and other parts but the worse was the cracked bumper and damage done to oem fender(Around my area this color is EXTREMELY hard to source so i was most upset about this and the lip stolen)

How the car had to sit for the rest of the day until i found my hubcaps.

Still heart broken i was determined to keep the build going so i installed some nice hubcaps for nice until i sourced better wheels.

With the block finally out of the machine shop and the motor done I started to install some of the new parts that came which included
A BYS replica front lip
New clear corners
Fog lights(which i instantly regretted)
Sourced OEM mudguards in impeccable condition with hardware
also finished installing the roll bar.

My win/fail attempt at spicing up the oem Ej cluster
Old 03-11-2016, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is so far nice. You have a long ways to go by you're doing well.
Wish I could say the same for my Ej1. I have a lot more work to do on it and I'm a noob to cars in general. This is a whole new world to me diving into the Ej.

You said win/loss on the Si cluster, what's wrong with it?
I want to get one and put it in mine but I've got more harness work to do before I dive into that as well.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mack713
This is so far nice. You have a long ways to go by you're doing well.
Wish I could say the same for my Ej1. I have a lot more work to do on it and I'm a noob to cars in general. This is a whole new world to me diving into the Ej.

You said win/loss on the Si cluster, what's wrong with it?
I want to get one and put it in mine but I've got more harness work to do before I dive into that as well.
I have a hate love relationship with the cluster lol i like it and i dont lmao idk. and i havent even posted near half of the progress but thank you Ill post more progress tomorrow, the car looks insanely better now, this was more the beginning and the downfall lol
Old 03-11-2016, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PerfectionIsKey
I have a hate love relationship with the cluster lol i like it and i dont lmao idk. and i havent even posted near half of the progress but thank you Ill post more progress tomorrow, the car looks insanely better now, this was more the beginning and the downfall lol
Well this is mine. It's not near as pretty. Definitely needs a paint job. Good luck tho.
Will that cluster just plug and play?

Old 03-11-2016, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bro is that a lip extension you have or what. Did you buy it somewhere. I like it. Wondering where I could find one like it.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey bro is that a lip extension you have or what. Did you buy it somewhere. I like it. Wondering where I could find one like it.
The lip is a "Concept" lip, i believe ebay carries it. and the cluster is an OEM Eg si/ex cluster just with amber needles and a carbon fiber back black and Dark amber LED's.

ill post more of the build too today btw.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After the drama things started to look foward as i found this Carbon Fiber hood at a neighbors house which she sold to me for roughly 60-70$ worth of parts in trade. Not in the best conditions but who could pass up the deal!

Instantly got to work on it, started off wet standing it with 350 grit until my hands were numb lmfao i dont have any pictures of me spraying the hood in my garage with a gun but i will show after pictures.

I would say much better

Excuse the horrible quality, never thought i was going to take the car far enough to make a build thread.

For you older gentleman out there! with my rare find at my local pick n pull a 10/10(just dirty in pic) kaminari rear aero lip! Only 11$ with original tabs, even found the side skirts! even tho i left the skirts, werent fond of them

Came home in excitement, installed the rear lip, my new 50/50 lights, installed a rear fog and wired it, cheesy skunk2 frame, oem hubcaps and GSR exhaust.

And a picture at night

And to finish off the project pictures for today, the ugly-ness underneigh my hood lol

Last edited by PerfectionIsKey; 03-16-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NOW where the fun starts to begin

Sourced a BWR subframe brace for 40$ just a little dirty so i polished it up until i sourced a nice set of BWR LCA's. couldnt pass up how cheap.

Excuse the disgusting engine pay but i sourced a genuine Spoon sports strut bar for very cheap through a friend and also was rocking a cheap no name short ram intake for now until my AEM came in(later switching to ARC)

Some more goodies came in the mail

More goodies

Was more into it for the "Clean" look than the actual performance of top1's product. as this car is my daily, not necessarily a "Track monster"

Test fitting

Installed, not too bad if i do say.

Installed on car now.

Now test fitting the splitter.

Was debating between the Lip or no lip with the splitter and ended up going with no lip because i wanted to go with a J's racing lip.

Installed on the car

Better angle of the newly added parts
Old 05-16-2016, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For those you actually follow this build, thought i would do a quick few month update. For those you dont already know, this car was parked outside and roughly 1000$ worth of parts were stolen off the car and the machinist who put my d16z6 togther improperly installed the rod to the piston(via wrist pin) and the walls on the block were done. so this had stalled and set the build back very much. now that it is back on track, i shall be updating it alot more.

First off first, the winter wheels come off, and some Rota Slipstreams come on(I would have went with a cheap genuine set of wheels, such as Kosei k1's or Rpf1's but in a neighborhood such as mine, id prefer not to.

So some more angles of how it sits(Car got raised of to a proper height after all this, more of a "Fitted" look)

Excuse how low the car sits, was just seeing how low these GC/KY goes, was raised to a more fitted look very shortly after this

So very shortly after finding out my Single was done for, i went back to my roots and searched for a B18b1 as i know they are very reliable, best bang for my buck and ALOT of potential(More than likely goes stock Ls Turbo Via GoAutoWorks), My friend had just recently Destroyed his AUTOMATIC first owner Ls via bottoming out. This car had around 110,000-115000 miles, ALOT of new parts, was never raped and had tons of paperwork from the Stealership. For $350 COMPLETE SWAP, i couldn't pass the opportunity

Although the motor looks DISGUSTING, it surprisingly pulled 185-190 on a compression test ALL THE WAY ACROSS (Cylinder 1-190 , Cylinder 2-185/190 , Cylinder 3-190 Cylinder 4- 185/190) and was 0% on a leakdown test and oil pressure was Impecable. for the price i got this swap, i was very pleased.

Of course i had to degrease and clean this engine as i cannot handle how dirty it was

After some elbow grease and a fresh wrinkle black valve cover i was happy with the swap

Had picked up a tune up kit and started working towards build parts(The RC injectors were a gift)

Picked up a GS-R Transmission to complement the B18B1

Couldnt handle the black rims anymore, was in drastic need of a new look

Stripped and ready to sand and paint

Hard to get the camera to pick it up, but went with a Pearl Gloss white, SO much better

Excuse the no Canards/splitter look as they were stolen and Hood Bra was off as i was conditioning it

Picked up a set of SIR Headlights, was very pleased with them minus the Hased foggy look

So i buffed them

ALSO NEW PICK UPS
Oem Window visors
BYS Front Lip
Stage 3 6 puck clutch W/ 9lb flywheel
Local tuner/fabricated Solid mounts(61A poly) and torque mounts
New Vibrant Street power muffler and exhaust system

Old 05-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So jealous man. She looks great. Keep it up
Old 05-16-2016, 10:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So jealous man. She looks great. Keep it up
Appreciate the nice words man! Believe me, if i wasnt lazy and posted everything the update would be alot better, but everyday im buying new things it gets tedious to keep up lol The car should be running, driving, waxed/cut/buffed and everything installed by this upcoming weekend HOPEFULLY. ill post more
Old 05-18-2016, 01:40 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

I thought the B18B block was painted black before I read the caption text. Nice work on the clean up.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CX-Adam
I thought the B18B block was painted black before I read the caption text. Nice work on the clean up.
Yeah it was horrible lol but hey they always say never judge a book by its cover, I've had a lot of swaps and this was the HEALTHIEST and best running swap I have ever drop(stock wise), best compression and leak down/oil pressure I've ever seen out of an Ls. Extremely happy