Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Master Cylinder Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Cylinder Upgrade Question

ok im trying to do the 15/16th master cylinder upgrade from a 91 civic sedan ex, but in canada we dont have that model.
Does anyone know if the master cylinder from a 1991 honda civic ex sedan which is a 15/16th master cyclinder in the US is the same in any of the Canadain sedans.
all of the canadain 4 doors have different model numbers. i belive we have dx and lx.
can anyone confirm if the master cylinders are a 15/16th in one of those canadian models.
thanks for any help
Old 02-15-2005, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you might wanna try checking the parts numbers for a 91 Si and see if they match the USDM master cylinder. this is assuming Canada had a 91 Si. since you're Si is our EX. good luck
Old 02-15-2005, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (_OEM_)

you can use a brake booster and master cylinder off of an Integra. It is just a bolt in application after the line is modified. If you want to do it correctly you will need to get the fitting off of the integra master cylinder and (specifically the one closest to the firewall.....it is an oddball size) get a length of line of the CORRECT diameter. You will have to fabricate only the one line but it is well worth it.

the tools you will need is the following:

tubing cutter
tubing bender (optional, you can just bend it with your hand)
double invereted flaring tool (*required*)

you will just need to use the stock proportioning valve fitting figure the length of tubing needed and install the Integra rear MC fitting (using the dbl inverted flaring tool) and bend the line to fit properly. Then you will need to bleed the system and you are done.

VIOLA better braking with the removal and installation of four bolts a cotter pin and a brake line.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DirtySol)

but its much easier to just install the 91 MC w/o having to go through the extra trouble of changing the brake booster and bending lines too

I don't know about canadian civic models, but could you order the MC from a junkyard in the States? Maybe call Import Auto Salvage?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (BeerMan)

Or you can just the use the one off the delsol no-abs. It's also 15/16.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or you can just the use the one off the delsol no-abs. It's also 15/16.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are incorrect. The Del Sol is nothing but a chopped civic. It uses a 7/8 MC just like any other civic (the civic CX and Del Sol S use a 13/16). The only Civic that has a 15/16ths is a 94-95 ex with abs and the 94-95 SI and the only Del Sol with a 15/16ths MC is the Del Sol VTEC and the SI's with 10.2" front brakes and ABS.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but its much easier to just install the 91 MC w/o having to go through the extra trouble of changing the brake booster and bending lines too

I don't know about canadian civic models, but could you order the MC from a junkyard in the States? Maybe call Import Auto Salvage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The only reason why I suggested the Integra unit is for ease of location. It is well worth the effort to change the Brake Booster to a larger more powerful unit. I would NEVER upgrade my MC without upgrading my BB. If you do not upgrade your BB you can actually hurt braking performance because you have to put more phjysical effort in to move the same amount of fluid due to the internal proportioning of the MC. In some cases it will slightly improve braking but you will not be getting the optimal performance out of your modification.

Do not try to re-invent the wheel. The Engineers at Honda have matched BB and MC together for a reason. Always use the correct BB for the MC that you are using, especially when Honda made it so easy to interchange parts without major modification.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:41 PM

thanks for the help.
if i cant find out if the candian civic has a 15/16th im just gonna get the integra rs brake booster and master cylinder combo.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you are incorrect. The Del Sol is nothing but a chopped civic. It uses a 7/8 MC just like any other civic (the civic CX and Del Sol S use a 13/16). The only Civic that has a 15/16ths is a 94-95 ex with abs and the 94-95 SI and the only Del Sol with a 15/16ths MC is the Del Sol VTEC and the SI's with 10.2" front brakes and ABS.

The only reason why I suggested the Integra unit is for ease of location. It is well worth the effort to change the Brake Booster to a larger more powerful unit. I would NEVER upgrade my MC without upgrading my BB. If you do not upgrade your BB you can actually hurt braking performance because you have to put more phjysical effort in to move the same amount of fluid due to the internal proportioning of the MC. In some cases it will slightly improve braking but you will not be getting the optimal performance out of your modification.

Do not try to re-invent the wheel. The Engineers at Honda have matched BB and MC together for a reason. Always use the correct BB for the MC that you are using, especially when Honda made it so easy to interchange parts without major modification. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I understand your point. I have done this MC swap on my hatch (without upgrading the BB) and have had zero problems. I can still lock up the brakes with minimal effort. But, you are right it does take more effort over the stock setup, however, I like the stiffer pedal feel.

Besides isn't that the whole point of this website, to reinvent the wheel?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BeerMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaymieTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the help.
if i cant find out if the candian civic has a 15/16th im just gonna get the integra rs brake booster and master cylinder combo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

anytime....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I understand your point. I have done this MC swap on my hatch (without upgrading the BB) and have had zero problems. I can still lock up the brakes with minimal effort. But, you are right it does take more effort over the stock setup, however, I like the stiffer pedal feel.

Besides isn't that the whole point of this website, to reinvent the wheel? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it does in fact work and you just enstilled my point by mentioning that there is more pedal effort needed. You need to use the correct combonation of components to have your system function PROPERLY. I do not take a system such as the braking system lightly because your life and others lives are at stake if not done correctly and safely.

No, the point of this website is not to reinvent the wheel......ithe point of this website is to take the best "wheels" out there that will fit into our vehicles to make one badass roller skate
Old 02-16-2005, 12:58 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

Okay, I've been crossrefrencing parts all day now. Here are the official results.

Results:
93-00 Civic EX 2dr (NON ABS) = 7/8" MC & 9" booster
92-95 Civic 3dr Rear Drums = 13/16" MC & 8" booster
92-95 Civic 3dr Rear Disc (NON ABS) = 13/16" MC & 9" booster
99-00 Civic 2dr Si (NON ABS) = 7/8" MC & 9" booster
94-97 Del sol Vtec (NON ABS) = 7/8" MC & 9" booster
93-97 Del sol S Rear Drums = 13/16" MC & 8" booster
93-97 Del sol Si (NON ABS) = 13/16" MC & 9" booster
91 Civic EX 4dr (NON ABS) = 15/16" MC & 9" booster
88-91 CRX (NON ABS) = 13/16" MC & 8" booster (even 90-91 Si with rear discs )

Conclusions:
1. Any 92+ NON ABS civic with 10.2" front brakes has 9" booster.
2. Any 92+ NON ABS civic with rear discs has a 9" booster.
3. Any 92+ NON ABS civic with 9.5" front brakes, and rear drums has 8" booster.
4. 91 Civic EX 4dr was only NON ABS car to have a 15/16" MC.
5. 91 Civic EX 4dr was only civic to have integra front calipers. ***edit***
6. 88-91 CRX Si proves it is safe to run 13/16" MC & 8" booster with rear disc swap (not 10.2" fronts though).

Remaining Question:
1. Does 91 EX 4dr have Integra calipers, or 92+ EX Calipers (This may explain the odd MC size)? ***answer = yes it's only civic to have integra calipers***

Modified by 94eg! at 11:32 AM 2/17/2005
Old 02-16-2005, 01:13 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: (94eg!)

Hooray!!!

Finally looking between the acura & honda parts sites, I have answered my question:

The reason why the 91 EX 4dr has a 15/16" Master Cylinder is because it has the same calipers as the integras. This means if you use 10.2" civic calipers, the proper setup would have a 7/8" MC. Likewise, an Integra front brake setup needs a 15/16" MC to match the larger piston diameter.

Either way, honda provides the larger 9" Brake Booster to match larger 10.2" front discs and/or rear discs on later models (92+). However it is not "required" on a "rear disc swap only", since Honda didn't do that for the 90-91 CRX si. This is some good food for thought since there has never been an official reason for upgrading your brake booster (that I know of), since the 91 EX 4 door MC bolts to the smaller 8" booster.