Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Master Cylinder leak and timing help need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master Cylinder leak and timing help need help.

Alright I'm in a little dilemma here and I need help. I just bought myself a 1994 Civic Hatch CX and it has two problems. First Problem is the timing is off by 1 tooth and needs to fixed. Can I just slide the timing belt off and realign it?

Second problem is that there is a leak in the clutch master cylinder and its not drivable.(won't go into gear). The clutch pedal is stuck on the floor. The guy was telling me that you have to pump the clutch to get it working and when he bled the system a bunch of bubbles were in the line. Now is it the clutch master cylinder or is there a leak in one of the lines going to the master cylinder? I found a place to store the car and its about 90 miles away and I wanna bring it home so bad. I was gonna get it towed to a near Honda but its too low to tow. I need help guys I only got a few days to store it.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Master Cylinder leak and timing help need help.

1. How do you know the belt is off by one tooth? My guess is that one tooth won't prevent you from driving it home where you can put a timing light on it.

2. There isn't a line that connects the slave cylinder to the master cylinder, they function separately. Make sure you have fluid in the reservoir and then bleed the system. Very easy. The valve is on the front side of the transmission. If if still go's to the floor, replace the slave cylinder.

Hope it works out for you!
Old 05-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now is it the slave cylinder or master? I forgot to mention that some fluid did come out by the clutch master cylinder.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:39 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RussLaviolette
2. There isn't a line that connects the slave cylinder to the master cylinder, they function separately.
HOLY CRAP! Did you really just write that? Of course there is a line that that connects them! How do you think the fluid get from the master to the slave? The Force? There is a hard line that transitions to a flex line then back to a hard line. Jeez! You can LOOK at it and trace it through the engine bay from the firewall to the front of the transmission. Get a manual my friend. Study it hard.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...LINDER+%281%29

Check BOTH the master and the slave.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
HOLY CRAP! Did you really just write that? Of course there is a line that that connects them! How do you think the fluid get from the master to the slave? The Force? There is a hard line that transitions to a flex line then back to a hard line. Jeez! You can LOOK at it and trace it through the engine bay from the firewall to the front of the transmission. Get a manual my friend. Study it hard.
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...LINDER+%281%29

Check BOTH the master and the slave.
I'm referring to the brake master cylinder, chief. Obviously there is a line that runs from the clutch reservoir to the slave cylinder thus providing the fluid to actuate the clutch.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Mad-Mike
Now is it the slave cylinder or master? I forgot to mention that some fluid did come out by the clutch master cylinder.
if that clutch master cylinder is leaking check the lines etc for looseness. other than that its cheap and easy to replace
Old 05-28-2011, 05:47 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RussLaviolette
I'm referring to the brake master cylinder, chief. Obviously there is a line that runs from the clutch reservoir to the slave cylinder thus providing the fluid to actuate the clutch.
Second problem is that there is a leak in the clutch master cylinder and its not drivable.
He said it was the clutch master cylinder he was having problems with. Brakes weren't mentioned.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont listen to what sellers tell you. Clean up your whole working area. Keep bleeding the slave cylinder and topping off the fluid, If there is a leak it will either be from the lines, the master or the slave cylinders, find it and fix it. You can drive it if the leak is not that bad. I drove my prelude from indiana with no clutch pedal. Start the car in 1st gear and slowly swich gears but i wouldnt recommend it because you really have to know how to do that or you will destroy a syncro or 2. Also if the leak is not that bad you can allways hit the clutch 5-6 times before shifting, it will be a pain in the *** but you will get it home especially if you have alot of highway miles.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bluegixxer1k
Dont listen to what sellers tell you. Clean up your whole working area. Keep bleeding the slave cylinder and topping off the fluid, If there is a leak it will either be from the lines, the master or the slave cylinders, find it and fix it. You can drive it if the leak is not that bad. I drove my prelude from indiana with no clutch pedal. Start the car in 1st gear and slowly swich gears but i wouldnt recommend it because you really have to know how to do that or you will destroy a syncro or 2. Also if the leak is not that bad you can allways hit the clutch 5-6 times before shifting, it will be a pain in the *** but you will get it home especially if you have alot of highway miles.
Thats what the dude was telling me about pumping the clutch. I bought a cheap new clutch master cylinder so that I can get the car home. Its highway miles til I get to the city so I gotta atleast have a working clutch. Gonna get up early and see if I can get it home.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats what the dude was telling me about pumping the clutch. I bought a cheap new clutch master cylinder so that I can get the car home. Its highway miles til I get to the city so I gotta atleast have a working clutch. Gonna get up early and see if I can get it home.
Safe driving!