Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Master cylinder - good brands for replacing it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master cylinder - good brands for replacing it?

I think the master cylinder on my Civic is wearing down a bit - the pedal can slowly sink if I push down too hard, and it just doesn't seem to feel right. I've heard a couple of horror stories about cheap brake parts before, so I want to make sure I'm getting a good quality replacement, but I'm not sure if the top brands I'm used to from the domestic world are the top suppliers for Honda as well. I was thinking Raybestos, but are there other brands worth looking at?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Master cylinder - good brands for replacing it? (MadScientistMatt)

If a clone bothers you, buy an oem honda piece.
But most new units, not the cheap rebuilds, are fine.

If you buy a clone, remember to check if its disc/drum rear, with/without abs.
I bought this one and it fits and works correctly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...sting

Remeber to bench bleed it before you install it.
Thats, plug the outlets, fill it with fluid, pump till you can't pump any more.
Then install it without spilling the fluid out.
You can also do it mounted to the vac assist, before you hook up the brake lines, which is easier.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just buy one at the parts store they give you a good warranty (lifetime if you buy the good one) unlike the dealer that gives you none or a not very good one
Old 09-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (jimmy o.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jimmy o. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just buy one at the parts store they give you a good warranty (lifetime if you buy the good one) unlike the dealer that gives you none or a not very good one</TD></TR></TABLE>

Warranty is only half of it. I bought an aftermarket replacement ball joint last fall for my civic to pass inspection, 7 months later I had to warranty it because the boot rotted and ripped. Now a month and half later It looks like i'm going to have to warranty it again for the same reason. Now that ball joint was something like $50 aftermarket and i'm sure honda probably wanted close to $200 for it. But at this point I kinda wish i'd just bought it from honda. Warranty is nice, but when you need it because you know that parts will fail prematurely then it still doesn't mean a whole lot. The other ball joint is honda OEM btw, original '94 with 313,000kms on it and the boot on it is still fine.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Re: (94EG8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94EG8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Warranty is only half of it. I bought an aftermarket replacement ball joint last fall for my civic to pass inspection, 7 months later I had to warranty it because the boot rotted and ripped. Now a month and half later It looks like i'm going to have to warranty it again for the same reason. Now that ball joint was something like $50 aftermarket and i'm sure honda probably wanted close to $200 for it. But at this point I kinda wish i'd just bought it from honda. Warranty is nice, but when you need it because you know that parts will fail prematurely then it still doesn't mean a whole lot. The other ball joint is honda OEM btw, original '94 with 313,000kms on it and the boot on it is still fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, that's the kind of insanity I want to avoid, the warranty part that needs to have its warranty invoked too often. While I'm not set on buying a genuine Honda part - I've had enough other aftermarket clone parts that have worked out pretty well - I do want to avoid the hassles with cheap rebuilds. I think I'm going to go with a "professional grade" type aftermarket part.