Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Manual transmission leak on 97 civic ex

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual transmission leak on 97 civic ex

Hey all, I would very much appreciate some advice about a problem I'm having my 97 civic. Not being an extremely knowledgeable about cars, but a DIY kind of person, I changed my oil the first time a couple weeks ago. As a precaution I watched for oil leaks after the change, and noticed what appeared to be oil or m/t fluid dripping after the car had been driven and park for awhile. I took it into my more trusted shop and they told it me it was actually an old leak from axle seals. Being on a tight budget right now I ended up having the work done at a cheaper place my girlfriend has had good experience with. He warned me that he wasn't convinced that it was actually just the axle seals and that it may be (forgetting the proper name) the big seal between the cases. After he did the work he showed me the old seals and that they were a little wet from leakage. I didn't check for about a week, but then noticed the leak had not gone away. Is there anything I can look at myself to confirm where the leak was coming from? He said he cleaned the entire underside to try and make things more obvious. But I wonder if he either improperly did the axle seals, or if it could be some simpler problem, I think he may just want me to do the clutch at the same time. Any advice on what to look for, what to ask would be greatly appreciated. I will attach a picture I pulled offline and circled where I'm seeing the drips forming (though I know it can be leaking from elsewhere). I can try and take my own pictures if that will help at all.

https://i.imgur.com/eGBBZ.jpg
Old 10-17-2011, 01:32 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Manual transmission leak on 97 civic ex

Listen to the mechanic. He nailed the diagnosis. All you need to do now is get it fixed.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like your rear main seal is leaking. Being a DIY you and an extra pair of hands can do this job in a day or weekend depending on how things go.
You will have to remove the transmission and all that is associated to its removal (see a helms manual) then remove the flywheel and pry the seal out. There is plenty info just search.
You will need a 'ball joint separator" for the tie rod ends, maybe ball joints (depends on how you decide to tackle it--some just pop the bottom ball joints and pop the axles swinging the spindle with axles to the side.
On installing the new seal (goes around the crankshaft) I lightly oil the surface of the crank and block and ease the seal on gently tapping the seal evenly and once barely on I use the flywheel to finish pushing it in by tightenening the flywheel bolts in an even criss cross pattern using increments at a time
Doing the clutch at the same time would depend on how it looks. You will be at a disadvantage if the mechanic fixes the rear main seal cause he might say that you do need a new clutch unless you are there and you know what a serviceable clutch looks like. My advice, do it all yourself and when your clutch goes you will have had the experience to do it again since you are on a budget.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by fonkernuckle
Looks like your rear main seal is leaking. Being a DIY you and an extra pair of hands can do this job in a day or weekend depending on how things go.
You will have to remove the transmission and all that is associated to its removal (see a helms manual) then remove the flywheel and pry the seal out. There is plenty info just search.
You will need a 'ball joint separator" for the tie rod ends, maybe ball joints (depends on how you decide to tackle it--some just pop the bottom ball joints and pop the axles swinging the spindle with axles to the side.
On installing the new seal (goes around the crankshaft) I lightly oil the surface of the crank and block and ease the seal on gently tapping the seal evenly and once barely on I use the flywheel to finish pushing it in by tightenening the flywheel bolts in an even criss cross pattern using increments at a time
Doing the clutch at the same time would depend on how it looks. You will be at a disadvantage if the mechanic fixes the rear main seal cause he might say that you do need a new clutch unless you are there and you know what a serviceable clutch looks like. My advice, do it all yourself and when your clutch goes you will have had the experience to do it again since you are on a budget.
Rear main seal would be leaking engine oil correct? My car is definitely leaking tranny fluid, engine oil is always rock solid. The seal is my mechanic is talking about he spoke of being a more like an adhesive seal than the rear main seal which is a rubber/gasket seal if I'm not mistaken. So which seal is he talking about? Thank you.

EDIT: Grumblemarc, are you referring to the rear main seal as well or something else, because if I understand, that can't be it.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

true I stand corrected your pic threw me it looks like the gasket material (suppose to be hondabond.) The trans will have to be separated and its a biatch even for experienced trans peeps to be able to put the locking ring around the mainshaft and it cost me 125 bones just for trans expert to put the halves together and the lock ring on.
Take it to someone who has done this before many times,I could be wrong but a mechanic is not the one.
Being on a tight budget and short of the doing the right thing, I would drain the trans fluid, clean the area that is involved and either try a thin coat of epoxy or a thin coat of jbweld on there
Old 10-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by fonkernuckle
true I stand corrected your pic threw me it looks like the gasket material (suppose to be hondabond.) The trans will have to be separated and its a biatch even for experienced trans peeps to be able to put the locking ring around the mainshaft and it cost me 125 bones just for trans expert to put the halves together and the lock ring on.
Take it to someone who has done this before many times,I could be wrong but a mechanic is not the one.
Being on a tight budget and short of the doing the right thing, I would drain the trans fluid, clean the area that is involved and either try a thin coat of epoxy or a thin coat of jbweld on there
Ok thanks for the tips... does it make sense that it only leaks when being driven (only noticed immediately afterwards when it drips down)? Does not leak at drop after sitting.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just a guess here but I would figure that movement would cause the halves to move somewhat and leak, another thought would be:
I do not know if the bolts that hold it together would be not torqued to specs but can't see why they would not be.
In my early times I once put a trans in a car that the halves had no bolts to hold it together and I had not noticed and when I put the trans fluid in there were no leaks but once I started the car up it fluid just seeped out quickly between the halves.doh