Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Manual to Auto Conversion - Axles protruding too far WTF - Need an expert I think

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to Auto Conversion - Axles protruding too far WTF - Need an expert I think

OK, yeah yeah I know the jokes. Who the FK would want to go from Manual to Auto. I have an EG Manual, EK Manual and an EK Auto
the Auto is my daily and I drive my manual way to fast - i got a $200 fine 30mins before I started the swap.

Anyway long story short - Auto blew tensioner bearing, and thus the timing belt, let it sit for a few weeks deliberating.

So i decided to take the engine from the EK civic - both d15y4 RHD and mate it with the Auto Trans and WALLAH all perfect. but NO that would be simple.
So I went through all the steps, transmission, torque housing/bell housing etc, mounted the engine back in, linkages, wiring etc and WTF the axles are poking out 10mm further on both sides when i try and put my lower arms back on..
pull the cvs from the rotors and all lines up well. put them back in and wtf. I am considering getting my axles shortened - but im a little worried something isnt sitting in place.

any advice? this would be a unusual issue to face I am guessing. Taking the suspension off more wont help, the angles are wrong. it seems as if the engine is sitting 1 inch too low and reducing the angle

Last resort - Ill go back to the manual ek and reverse all this and remate the tranny to the blown engine and see if that fits.

you can see the distance

you can see the distance

ok. so
YES the axles are from the auto and that transmission originally. Auto cv axles are about 670mm vs 685mm etc. i DID measure
YES the axles are seated properly into the tranny

My question is, anyone come across this before? possible that I used a wrong engine mount bracket? engine sitting too low?
everything is snug and comfortable.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:04 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Manual to Auto Conversion - Axles protruding too far WTF - Need an expert I think

'92 - '00 D-series all use the same axles auto or manual. The only ones that might be different are CVT (USDM HX coupe and some overseas models)
Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Manual to Auto Conversion - Axles protruding too far WTF - Need an expert I think

the problem is that you went from manual to auto, if you didn't swap the trans side mount/bracket in reverse order of auto to manual, the angle of the engine and transmission will be way off.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
the problem is that you went from manual to auto, if you didn't swap the trans side mount/bracket in reverse order of auto to manual, the angle of the engine and transmission will be way off.
Thanks. Ill.pull the engine back out and see how that goes. If need be, ill go all the way back to the beginning and start again. Will just add a week but will allow better trouble shooting.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
'92 - '00 D-series all use the same axles auto or manual. The only ones that might be different are CVT (USDM HX coupe and some overseas models)
In this case they are different. However That should be consistent in all cars

----axle----====transmanual==---axle----
---axle----====transauto/torquehousing==----axle----

The auto transmission is located 4inches further across than the manual as a consequence of the torque converter housing. I suppose this could differ across countries but seems unlikely
Old 10-15-2018, 07:38 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no reason to remove it. read the ek auto to manual guide, and use the reverse of the suggested mounts.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:35 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Daryl Brunt
In this case they are different. However That should be consistent in all cars

----axle----====transmanual==---axle----
---axle----====transauto/torquehousing==----axle----

The auto transmission is located 4inches further across than the manual as a consequence of the torque converter housing. I suppose this could differ across countries but seems unlikely
Some of the B-series automatic chassis are just plain different I'm told between automatic and manual in European countries I'm told. I'm not sure about D-series. However that said in North America automatic and manual D-series Civics use the same axles. I have used them both interchangeably.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Some of the B-series automatic chassis are just plain different I'm told between automatic and manual in European countries I'm told. I'm not sure about D-series. However that said in North America automatic and manual D-series Civics use the same axles. I have used them both interchangeably.
Thanks for the input